El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited to get my Mayday Crokinole board from Tanga. After reading a couple of reviews here and a user recommending them. I decided to purchase one. I should have done more research.

I went out yesterday to get some carnuba wax, came home and unpacked the board. To my dismay


for every screw attached on the back, they protrude slightly into the playfield.


Additionally there are "things" underneath the laquer finish.

And finally the score lines are painted ABOVE the laquer and not under, so the discs are getting sanded everytime the pass over the line.

Seems like I'm not the only one:
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-its-...

Instead of getting mad, etc, I've decided to donate the board to a local youth group and order a board from the Hilinski brothers.

After inspecting the board, It can't be sanded as it is a veneer strip over press-board/chipboard.

Save you money and order a different board.

If you need rubber bumpers, you can get them here
http://store.workshopsupply.com/catalogue/crokinole-bumper-k...

Hopefully this will save people some money, or at least lower your expectations for a $134.00 board ($99.00) on sale.

The only positive note is that everyone is so excited about Crokinole (wetting the appetite so to speak). We'll play it with the discs jumping around and veering off course until the other arrives. Maybe I can dollar cost average each play, assign a value to the smiles of the family to make the $210 expense ($120 from Tanga) $90 from shipping/customs) more palatable.


Konig
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that waxing the board takes away a lot of the interference from the scoring line issue.

I also had the protrusion issue you spoke of with the screws, but when I contacted Maydaygames, they have will be replacing my board with one that does not have them as soon as a replacement comes in.

For a Crokinole diehard, these boards would be sneered at, but for me and my group, they work just fine.

Kudos to you for donating yours however - very generous and awesome of you.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RacNRoll Gaming
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Crokinole board that we received as a gift from my aunt when I was a kid...it's not as "pretty" as the Mayday Games one but it is still in good shape. I actually started pricing out a new board and found a decent one for $60..again not as pretty as the MayDay board but it serves its purpose.





The regular Crokinole Board #10122 is made with a MDF core Maple sheet good. The fence is constructed with solid red pine. The top and fencing is finished with a post-catalyzed lacquer finish. The lines and numbers are screen printed on the wood prior to finishing. The wooden discs are included with the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RacNRoll Gaming wrote:
...again not as pretty as the MayDay board..


I personally wouldn't refer to the Mayday boards as "pretty".

I didn't feel the need to go into all the cosmetic problems (over-spray, orange-peel, unpainted parts, splitting etc, as the link I posted covers all that

I'll take functional, flat, and slick any day over pretty (strictly speaking crokinole).

Konig
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge crokinole fan, but have thought about picking up a copy for the family and friends. Yet, I can't get myself to pay that kind of money for a board.

When I heard about these $99 boards I was somewhat excited. Then I saw the company and was hesitant. The more and more I read, the happier I am that I passed.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a problem with one of our boards feel free to contact us at maydaygames@gmail.com or refer to our thread on "How to Resolve Any Issue" from us at Mayday.

We have discussed this before but let me say again:

There is a full warranty on all of our products. If you get some bad sleeves or a back crokinole board please feel free to let us know and we will refund/exchange at NO COST to you. If you are unhappy with your product in any way please email/call and let us know. Posting a defect publicly without giving us a chance to resolve it won't help you solve the problem. We stand behind all of our products and are grateful to the 1,000+ of our customers who have ordered and received our board for what it is, a $135 price point crokinole board that has a full 26" playing surface (tournament sized).

Our goal with these boards is NOT to compete with other "premium" board makers but to give you "80% of the board for less than 50% of the price". If you don't agree with that assessment then don't buy the product. We are trying to bring Crokinole to the FLGS where it has never been in the USA before. We are trying to support the FLGS stores and introduce a whole lot of new players to Crokinole, not produce a hand-made heirloom product here.

I'm sure there are many on BGG who are willing to wait months for a $300 board from another vendor who makes them one at a time with fine Canadian hardwoods, but there are others who can't afford that on an untested game and would never get a Crokinole board if it were only available at that price point.

The simple truth is that we have sold a lot of these and have had less than 1% of them returned for an exchange/refund. If you happen to be in that 1% with some bad luck please contact us for a full refund/return/exchange and we will be more than happy to help you out.

Let me ask the other 99% of those who are happy with our board to consider posting about it too.

There is something else going on here, it is the simple psychology of ownership. If you paid $300+ for a crokinole board already and a bunch of people start saying that they are happy with the $135 board they got then the natural tendency is to criticize the $135 version to justify your own purchase. You don't have to put down our boards to make yours worth it, an heirloom quality Crokinole board is a great investment and just because others are happy with their inferior boards should not give you pause about your investment.

There are many people who don't own our board or have never seen our boards. There are also many who have seen our product and are predisposed to dismiss it due to their own premium board purchase. Yes there are certainly some out there too who have seen our board and really do hate it. They are welcome to hate it and we hope they will not purchase it. If you have one of our boards please contact US for any problems so we can help. If you have one of our boards and DON'T have any problems we'd love to hear from you too. We know you're out there!

How many of you have been able to introduce new people to crokinole because of our board though? We hope a few of you have. We even hope some of you will go on to get a premium board in the future from one of the fine craftsman that offer such things.

We offer a full warranty on our boards and hope more of you will take us up on the offer for a full refund so we can get your boards into the hands of people who are anxious to try the game at a lower price point, if you are unhappy with our product.

Here is what Tom says about our boards:



8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mayday,

Thanks for your reply.

In all honestly I didn't bother to contact you because of me being in Costa Rica additionally it was ordered from Tanga which only allows exchange.

The cost to ship it back would be approx $100.00 to either you or Tanga.

Even an exchange, I would need to repay $90.00 in S&H and import taxes. Bringing the grand total to $400.00 for a MayDay crokinole board.

I can't imagine you wanting to give me a refund on a product I can't return. But I'll hitup your customer service up and see if we can work something out.

Additionally it would be nice to have some clarification if ALL the boards have problem from a particular batch, Seems the problem is greater than 1%.


Edit: Msg sent to Customer Service email above in mayday post at 1:14pm local time.

Konig
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem at all. If you can get it back to us we would be happy to send you another one or refund you in full for the board. Let us know and we can help you out. We are out for GTS trade show for the next several days but Sarah can help you out (maydaygames@gmail.com)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
No problem at all. If you can get it back to us we would be happy to send you another one or refund you in full for the board. Let us know and we can help you out. We are out for GTS trade show for the next several days but Sarah can help you out (maydaygames@gmail.com)


Email sent.

In the mean time can you please respond to:

http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-crok...

It looks pretty bad from my point of view.

Konig
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We sent Pete the wrong label which has already been used as we sent this lady Jacki a new board out from us here in Utah already. We have just sent Pete a label for the damaged board for the evaluation copy for someone else.

We have been getting ready for GTS and got our wires crossed, sorry for the mix up!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap!!!

Are they for real?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
We sent Pete the wrong label which has already been used as we sent this lady Jacki a new board out from us here in Utah already. We have just sent Pete a label for the damaged board for the evaluation copy for someone else.

We have been getting ready for GTS and got our wires crossed, sorry for the mix up!


Fair Enough. And the board Pete received from the other user and not Tanga/Mayday?

Konig
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave (a Tanga customer) did in fact report having some issues with his board and we sent him out a replacement board. It looks like we then sent Dave a label to send his board to Pete. Pete did order a new board and we sent him one that was apparently badly damaged. We are sorry for that and have sent Pete a replacement board out today at our cost.

The damaged board that Pete originally got was then going to be sent to another person (who didn't pay for the board). This 3rd person had expressed interest in demoing the game for kids and was just happy to have whatever we could give them. We got our wires crossed on the prepaid label we sent Pete though and sent him a prepaid label for another lady (Jacki) who did pay for a new, undamaged board. Jacki's label was actually already used though and our shipping guy dropped it off at Fedex earlier today. We re-emailed Pete the CORRRECT LABEL to send the damaged board as a demo copy to the right person so it should all be sorted out.

To recap: Dave got a damaged board, he now has a new one that looks much better. Pete got the damaged one (or mistake there), he is now sending it to another guy who knows it is damaged and wants it for demoing to children (donation). Jacki has nothing to do with it as her board is already on the way from Utah to her since she paid for a new board.

Sorry again for the mix up, if any of you want to return the board for a full refund we are more than happy to do it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
Dave (a Tanga customer) did in fact report having some issues with his board and we sent him out a replacement board. It looks like we then sent Dave a label to send his board to Pete. Pete did order a new board and we sent him one that was apparently badly damaged. We are sorry for that and have sent Pete a replacement board out today at our cost.

The damaged board that Pete originally got was then going to be sent to another person (who didn't pay for the board). This 3rd person had expressed interest in demoing the game for kids and was just happy to have whatever we could give them. We got our wires crossed on the prepaid label we sent Pete though and sent him a prepaid label for another lady (Jacki) who did pay for a new, undamaged board. Jacki's label was actually already used though and our shipping guy dropped it off at Fedex earlier today. We re-emailed Pete the CORRRECT LABEL to send the damaged board as a demo copy to the right person so it should all be sorted out.

To recap: Dave got a damaged board, he now has a new one that looks much better. Pete got the damaged one (or mistake there), he is now sending it to another guy who knows it is damaged and wants it for demoing to children (donation). Jacki has nothing to do with it as her board is already on the way from Utah to her since she paid for a new board.

Sorry again for the mix up, if any of you want to return the board for a full refund we are more than happy to do it!


Thanks for taking the time to clear this up.

I'll wait for my reply from your customer service before updating this thread any further.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb

    So the bad board is en route to another customer? I mean, your name is on the front of that thing.

             S.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

    So the bad board is en route to another customer? I mean, your name is on the front of that thing.

             S.



The "bad board" is going to a school teacher (I believe that is what he said) who is using it for 5th graders to learn the game and introduce people to it. He didn't pay a dime for it and he is aware that it will be damaged/bad but is happy to take what he can get. We try to give our damaged boards away to such causes rather than just toss them in the junk pile.
9 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

    So the bad board is en route to another customer? I mean, your name is on the front of that thing.

             S.



The "bad board" is going to a school teacher (I believe that is what he said) who is using it for 5th graders to learn the game and introduce people to it. He didn't pay a dime for it and he is aware that it will be damaged/bad but is happy to take what he can get. We try to give our damaged boards away to such causes rather than just toss them in the junk pile.


Glad to hear that.

I'll gladly accept a refund, and email you the donation slip to the local youth group here..

Konig
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To Mayday:

I teach chess to kindergartners at a local magnet school. If you have more damaged crokinole sets you're looking to give away, is there a way I could have one donated to the school?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Konig wrote:
Glad to hear that.

I'll gladly accept a refund, and email you the donation slip to the local youth group here..

Konig


Konig, we can gladly refund you in full, Sarah can do it for you at maydaygames@gmail.com but we need mail the board off somewhere else. You'll also need to tell us specifically what is wrong with the board so we can disclose that to the charity/organization and verify they want it.

We prefer to send them from you to an unrelated 3rd party. We would be happy to have your youth group email us directly and request a board though!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
Konig wrote:
Glad to hear that.

I'll gladly accept a refund, and email you the donation slip to the local youth group here..

Konig


Konig, we can gladly refund you in full, Sarah can do it for you at maydaygames@gmail.com but we need mail the board off somewhere else. You'll also need to tell us specifically what is wrong with the board so we can disclose that to the charity/organization and verify they want it.

We prefer to send them from you to an unrelated 3rd party. We would be happy to have your youth group email us directly and request a board though!


Perfect. Email was sent a few hours ago to maydaygames@gmail.com with what's wrong with the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Response. Thanks Seth..
Seth replied to my customer service email.

Problem is resolved to my satisfaction (pending the receipt of paypal funds).

Regardless of the other issues, my issue should be resolved once Sarah processes the paypal payment.

Thank you Mayday for making my particular problem correct.

I'll update against once I receive the payment.

Konig

Edit: grahmer n spilleng
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bullwinkle
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Bridge for sale!

One of a kind, located in Brooklyn, slightly used. PM me for details.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingMoose wrote:
Bridge for sale!


Location? Condition? Areial rights?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that from experience in sleeves purchases that Mayday customer service is very helpful and when I had an issue with their products they made all possible efforts to please me including providing replacement products (without sending back the defective ones) and giving nice discounts.

I never had the impression that they were trying to "cut the losses on defected items" or anything of the sort.

On the other hand Mayday should really think about improving their shipping logistics, since it looks at though they do make a lot of shipping errors.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
regex wrote:
I must say that from experience in sleeves purchases that Mayday customer service is very helpful and when I had an issue with their products they made all possible efforts to please me including providing replacement products (without sending back the defective ones) and giving nice discounts.

I never had the impression that they were trying to "cut the losses on defected items" or anything of the sort.

On the other hand Mayday should really think about improving their shipping logistics, since it looks at though they do make a lot of shipping errors.


Yeah, I want to endorse what Gadi said - I've posted my share of rants about Mayday's quality control and definately wouldnt argue that its the best managed/operated organisation I've come into contact with. But for customer service and commitment to sorting it out, I've come accross none better.

Here's a cross thread that's started on the same issue - they're spreading like a bad disease. Don't be fooled, its the same story, but its spreading like there is this world of dodginess going on....but its not...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6444884#6444884

Just asking for a little fairness and for Seth's actions, which many seem to speak well of, to stand for themselves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.