Popular Tags: [View All]
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi - I have a quick question.

Lets say yellow places a ghost with a haunter, does his stuff and then finished his turn.

Does the haunter then move EVERY turn, so forward with the next blue one, then forward again with a red one (and haunt village) - then back to the card. - Then green's turn and it moves forward - and then on the yellow turn it moves forward and haunts another village?

That's 2 villages haunted in one set of turns....

Is that right?

or do ghosts only do their negative 'attacks' (e.g. move haunter/role curse die) if they're on the board of the player who's turn it is?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After placement, haunters move only during the turn of the player with that board. Haunters on the red board move in the red player's turn, haunters on the green board move in the green player's turn, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
After placement, haunters move only during the turn of the player with that board. Haunters on the red board move in the red player's turn, haunters on the green board move in the green player's turn, etc.

OH MY GOSH!!!! No wonder I had given up on this game. I could not see how ANYONE was winning it!!

I have to say, though, my cousin and I got pretty good at fending off the ghosts playing that way though. Looks like I am going to have to give it a second chance!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spaztian wrote:
Sphere wrote:

OH MY GOSH!!!! No wonder I had given up on this game. I could not see how ANYONE was winning it!!

I have to say, though, my cousin and I got pretty good at fending off the ghosts playing that way though. Looks like I am going to have to give it a second chance!!

You may've inadvertently come up with a great training technique. The game might actually seem easy to you now. May I ask, how many turns were you able to survive using your masochistic method?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm glad that my ignorance has helped bring someone back to have another try at ghost stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to run my first game of Ghost Stories last night, and I thought the haunters moved every turn as well. We didn't get that far, but I had heard the game was really hard so I assumed we played it right.

The only reason I came to the boards was to figure out what some of the symbols on wu-feng's cards mean, otherwise I would not be here and I would not know how to properly run the haunters. So thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thile
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF and I played our first two games of this, last night. I knew it was both a hard game and that the rules were poorly written. I'd warned my GF about the difficulty, which she was looking forward to -- we both got bored of, for instance, Forbidden Island, after winning too many times -- and I read up on tons of rules clarifications and watched videos.

Yet, we still got this one rule wrong! The first game, we were smashed almost immediately. I thought to myself that it seemed impossible, based on how quickly the haunters swarmed us... but maybe we played poorly. We tried again, and, making the haunters Priority A #1 DO NOT DELAY, SQUANDER ALL RESOURCES we actually got about halfway through the deck. Playing hard, smart, for our lives. And lost.

We felt pretty defeated, but told ourselves: wow, this game really will take many playthroughs to even beat once! I think we were both secretly a little discouraged, though. We'd had some very lucky draws (a long streak of easy ghosts with no haunters, towards the end, which let us catch up), and both felt that to win would be based on lucking out with draws like that even more than we had.

After the game, I checked various rules sources once more, just in case. And finally noticed this clarification. Yay! I think we'd have had a good chance of beating the game last night, had we known this.

At least it really was a great way of dropping us in the deep end to learn how to swim! If the game ever gets too easy even on harder difficulties (yeah right), maybe we'll return to this "variant." :P

(My only other gripe: really? No way to secure the cards in the box? No proper insert? No baggies, even? Just loose cards? Sheesh.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hallett
Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gregor wrote:
spaztian wrote:
Sphere wrote:

You may've inadvertently come up with a great training technique. The game might actually seem easy to you now. May I ask, how many turns were you able to survive using your masochistic method?

I'll answer this question for you.

Playing it wrongly twice, the girlfriend and I exorcised 1 ghost on the first go, and a princely 9 the second time (almost certainly due to the lack of haunter cards coming out).

This game is going to be easy peasy now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to disappoint you, but the game won't be a lot easier when playing with the right rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Eduardo Oakwood
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hilarious. The first time I played, we did a speed-reading of the directions and thought that every ghost was a haunter. That was hilarious when we were dead in less than two rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mb
I did exactly the same thing on my first few plays.

I went on Initiate mode, thinking this should be easy and I'll use it to learn the rules, before going to Normal mode. Gosh, it was hard!

I think the confusion lies with the wording of the rules:

My rulebook wrote:
For each haunting ghost present on his board, the player must update the position of the associated Haunting figuring. Three positions are possible...

...If the figurine is already on the first haunting icon of the board, it is then moved onto the haunted tile icon at the edge of the board, and the corresponding tile becomes haunted. The haunting figuring is immediately placed back onto the haunting icon of the card. Therefore, unless prevented by the Taoists, a haunting ghost haunts a tile every two turns.

The second paragraph ends with a trying-to-be-helpful comment explaining that although there are three positions for the haunting figure (on the card, and on the two spots on the board), there are only really two spots since the second board spot and the card are in effect the same spot.

But by doing so, it makes it sound as if a Haunting figure haunts every two turns. But it doesn't - in a four-player game, it haunts once every cycle of eight turns, because on six of those eight turns, it doesn't have to move.

Because your brain is already confused by having to work out why they've put three spots for the Haunter on the board when they only needed two, you're then ripe for being confused further, with the "every two turns" bit getting remembered ahead of the "on his board" bit from the first paragraph.

---------

Anyway, moving the haunters every move, and playing in one-player mode, it means that if you leave a haunter alive at the end of your turn, it has moved four times and haunted two tiles by your next go - so you lose if you ever have one haunted tile and one Haunter alive at the end of your go.

I played it this way a few times before realising - by mistake while reading BGG for another confusing rule - that I had it wrong.

There was one game like this where I died after 3 ghosts - bad dice roll meant I couldn't kill a three-spot haunter twice in a row and it was game over.

Then again there was another game like this where I did get as far as placing the Wu-Feng incarnation, though wasn't able to kill it.

After correcting the error, I was trying Nightmare mode a couple of attempts later and finding it considerably easier, and deciding to move to Hell instead. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lachlan Blackmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe I've been playing this wrong. No wonder we thought that anything less than 4 monks was impossible, and 4 monks was still nigh impossible.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.