9 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations for First Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Walker
msg tools
mbmb
I would like to pick a scenario for my first game of MoM. I want something that serves as an introduction but is also relatively robust and well balanced. I guess Story 1 "The Fall of House Lynch" looks to be the most iconic and introductory, but with some of the comments on the 3 objectives, I am a little concerned to use it for the first outing.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tarantine
United States
Altoona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps see This thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
1B is quite a good one, but the onus is really on the Keeper to put pressure on the investigators otherwise they will win easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Newland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
@ Chris: Yes. This. This was the first scenario that I chose and I had read the rules the day before, so I'd forgotten a lot of things. I was referring to the rulebook often and playing more as a Game Master than an antagonistic Keeper. The investigators had funny "living" the story and finding clues and winning, but when we found out I'd been playing wrong and hadn't even summoned the big bad till too late in the game, we wished I'd been paying more attention. It's a fun scenario and easy/quick to play, but as a keeper, you have to know what you're doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't pick 1C. While showing the mechanics of the game, the story was kind of bland and the outcome boring.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Walker
msg tools
mbmb
Cheers all. I will go with 1B to start, leaving 1C for when I am more comfortable with the game and can amp up the atmosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike N
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone happen to know what scenario and story was selected for the official Preview event with the Retail Preview Kit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor Misterioso
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I should have listened to you, Shnar. We played 1C last night. Everyone had fun but you may have well just thrown out the story as it didn't seem to care to reveal itself. Kinda embarrassing to me since I had pumped the game up previously to the players as this story driven game.

After it was all said and done, nobody had any idea what had happened. Perhaps if I had prepared ahead of time as the keeper I could have put some more flavor on it to grease the story but as it was, it was lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest complaint about 1C is how ugh the ending is. I mean, (spoiler alert) the heroes just have to run through a couple rooms and leave the building to win? The Keeper just needs to kill one of them? Especially since the story was a "zombie" story. I thought that might be interesting to my friends, since we've kind of been on a zombie kick (Left4Dead, World War Z, Zombieland, etc) but it really was a let down. Fighting a Shoggoth would have been *much* more interesting I think.

The story wasn't hard to follow, plus I had screwed up and put the wrong clues in the garden, but fortunately that didn't make the game unwinnable, it just led to a boring, easy to win (on both sides) conclusion.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.