Subject: Recommendations please: Pick 2 out of this list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
blurr blurr
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to find a couple of games to add to my order and I'm currently looking at the following list. Which 2 would you recommend or pick?
- Isla Dorada
- Hey! That's My Fish
- Ghost Stories
- Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (albeit I already own Europe)
- Tikal
- Cave Troll
- Jambo
- Cash and Guns
- Power Grid
- Descent
- Last Night On Earth (played a bunch of zombie games but haven't found one that I would say is THE Zombie game)
- Middle Earth Quest (albeit holding out for War of the Ring?)
- Other? Would not mind finding a fun dungeon crawler as there's none in my collection. There's others I'm considering but they're just not in stock (7 Wonders, Tobago, )

Games I'm ordering or have received recently:
- Mansions of Madness
- Ra
- Survive
- Caragena

Things I'm trying to avoid:
- Super light games that will only last a couple of plays (i.e. board game night starter games like For Sale). They're nice to have but I already have enough of them now.
- Worker placement or light auction games (own or play too many already)
- Games where the art and design look like they came from someone's basement (i.e. Glory to Rome).
- Games that are longer than 3-4 hours in length once everyone knows the rules.
- Games where you constantly have to check the rulebook for stats or reference.
- Games I already own: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/blurr

If you have strong feelings against a game listed here, let me know too!

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Middle Earth Quest and Ghost stories. Middle Earth Quest is nothing like War Of The Ring... get them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Middle-Earth Quest, it's around the 3hr mark, Sauron's turn, and the player directly after Sauron take the longest, but it's a very richly themed game that will accommodate more players than War of the Ring.

I would also recommend Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, I think it's a good co-op dungeon crawler, though you do have Descent listed which is probably the best my big concern with Descent is that I find it horribly unbalanced. The Overlord has all the power, and in order for the game to be fun the Overlord needs to go easy on the players. Beyond that Descent is a great game, but that's really what kills it for me.

To touch on some of the other games you listed..

Cave Troll is quick, easy, and fun, but it might be too light for your tastes.

Power Grid seems like the odd one out on your list. It's a great game, but it just seems out of place. I can't say much bad about PG, except that it might be too heavy/dry.

Ghost Stories is a great co-op, perhaps a little on the difficult side (at least with my experience).

I would also add in Defenders of the Realm for consideration. It's a co-op much like Pandemic, but better IMO.

The other games you've listed I don't know well enough to comment on. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a really weird list to my mind... split personality hearing voices?

Get The Zombie Game - Last Night On Earth. It's arcade fun with dice and great pictures. Not the most amazing game ever but it is the best Zombie game.

I own and think Power Grid is quite good provided you have enough players. Don't like that there is only one path to victory.

I own and don't like Cave Troll. It's strictly an area control game (just in case you don't know) and to me the game play feels rushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Berndt
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica, Endeavor and Navegador are three of the best mid-weight games out there, by both BGG rating and my own personal preference. None are worker placement or auction games, so they seem to meet your criteria.

From the games you listed, I really like Tikal and 7 Wonder. Jambo is a little too random for me, and I haven't played any of the others.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blurr blurr
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies so far!

monkeyhandz, the list is so diverse because I end up buying a variety of games: some that my gaming buddies would play, some that my wife would like and some that my family would enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I see... I'll cancel the geeks in white coats. ninja

I can see Ra and Survive going down well with your lover. Nordic Countries is therefore worth a shot for an intimate 2 player game... not as romantic as flowers but hey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I love Power Grid and am getting to know (& love) Ghost Stories- I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerGrid
Cave troll

Both games have good art work. Some would argue that PowerGrid does not.

Cave Troll - is one of my groups faviorte games. Plays good at 3 and 4. Board control with two different sets of Characters to use for a different feel. This game have never gotten old with us.

Powergrid is an auction game (Not light), so read carefully on this one.
We love this game, but recently has taken a back seat to Shadows Over Camelot that plays up to 6. PowerGrid will return to our table soon.

Good Luck!

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the games on your list, the stand-outs for me would be Power Grid and Tikal. A good economic game that intrigues most people who play it, and a fun exploration theme with a solid action point system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blurr wrote:
I'm trying to find a couple of games to add to my order and I'm currently looking at the following list. Which 2 would you recommend or pick?
- Isla Dorada
- Hey! That's My Fish
- Ghost Stories
- Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (albeit I already own Europe)
- Tikal
- Cave Troll
- Jambo
- Cash and Guns
- Power Grid
- Descent
- Last Night On Earth (played a bunch of zombie games but haven't found one that I would say is THE Zombie game)
- Middle Earth Quest (albeit holding out for War of the Ring?)
- Other? Would not mind finding a fun dungeon crawler as there's none in my collection. There's others I'm considering but they're just not in stock (7 Wonders, Tobago, )
check out: http://www.yucata.de. I am finishing up a game of Hey! That's my Fish! on there right now. try before you buy. I love this game, although it is a little unusual. The penguins and art suggest it is a much lighter game than it really is. This can be quite a brain burner.

Ca$h 'N Gun$ is a fabulous game, but I would put it in the same category as For Sale. I doubt it would see too much life after a few plays if you feel For Sale is a starter game.

My two current favorite dungeon crawl games:
Claustrophobia
- the negatives: it's two player only with a moderately high amount of random,
- the positives: complete game in less than an hour, easy to teach, beautiful pieces and parts for the price, still a high amount of strategy in spite of the random, very innovative mechanics, and very different gameplay between humans and demons. This game oozes theme.

Catacombs - just plain silly fun. flicking and dungeon crawl shouldn't go well together, but they totally do. The art is somewhat like the kind you'd find on a sketchbook from a d&d geek in high school, but, somehow, that works.

Descent is pretty great, although it might push your time constraints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Nevin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillStivers wrote:
PowerGrid
Cave troll

Both games have good art work. Some would argue that PowerGrid does not.

Cave Troll - is one of my groups faviorte games. Plays good at 3 and 4. Board control with two different sets of Characters to use for a different feel. This game have never gotten old with us.

Powergrid is an auction game (Not light), so read carefully on this one.
We love this game, but recently has taken a back seat to Shadows Over Camelot that plays up to 6. PowerGrid will return to our table soon.

Good Luck!

Bill

I would second these two.

I think every collection should have Power Grid and on your list Cave Troll would have to be my other suggestion. Its a quick fun game.

Krister
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
blurr wrote:

Tikal and Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heartily recommend Ghost Stories.

After that it's a tough call. I think you will find, like many players, that Last Night on Earth is THE zombie game. Ticket to Ride Nordic is my favourite of the TtR series.

I don't think you'll want Hey That's My Fish... too light.

Haven't played the rest enough to form a solid opinion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I'll second Hey! That's my Fish!, as well as throwing a vote for Last Night on Earth. Thus far, LNoE is *the* zombie game. If you want more TTR, I'd look into just getting the Switzerland expansion instead of the entire Nordic Countries. Also, I'd recommend against Descent - it will always have rules lookups, not to mention drain you of more $ as you get all the expansions. That said, I own it and enjoy it, but it is not played enough due to length and rules murkiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend SKIPPING Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries.

Since you already own Europe, I warmly recommend its own expansion (Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912) which expands the number of tickets to 101 and with the Big Cities variant allows for excellent and tight 2/3-player games. Then wait till the end of the year and buy the upcoming Ticket to Ride Map Collection for additional maps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sletten
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
The struggle was real
mbmbmbmbmb
The most popular games with my group are, in order, Last Night on Earth, Power Grid, and Middle Earth Quest. Though, I will admit there are few on the list I haven't played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off of your list probably Power Grid and Ghost Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus E. L. M.
Denmark
Randers SØ
Vestdjurs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, Geoff, I was just about to write the same combination.

So yes, Power Grid and Ghost Stories (even though I haven't played the latter, I've investigated it heavily, and it's on my list to buy next).

Power Grid; has an auction element - whether light or heavy is not up to me. It's a bit dry, but I've recently been intrigued to start playing it again, simply because it's an great game (that I don't win every single time).

Ghost Stories; "co-op", "crazy hard", "dice" are the three key things to say about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the posts above..

From your list, I'd pick Ghost Stories & Power Grid..

We just played Ghost Stories for the first time over the weekend and completely got our butts kicked.. But we still had fun! Definitely still need to play more, but so far i think it's a great co-op game..

As for Power Grid, it's certainly not a light auction game, it's definitely complex with several different things happening during the game. I like that the luck factor is low and that you need to plan your strategy in order to do well. I think some people may think the math element of the game makes it a bit dry, but if you're ok with that, then i think this would be a great choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you've listed, I'd go with Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (the best TtR with 2 or 3 players, love the Nordic setting) and Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game (fun Zombie game and playable in < 2 hours)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blurr blurr
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!

I believe I will go with Ghost Stories and Cave Troll. Power Grid has gotten a lot of great recommendations but I'll pass on that for now since I'm not too much in a mood to get a power plant game with all that is happening with the Nuclear Power Plants in Japan right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid, Last Night on Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.