United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just got hold of a copy of Railways of the World, which includes the Mexico expansion (and cards).

This is supposedly not recommended for introductory games, but is it better with the cards as an introductory game?

Also, I often play 2 player games. I would imagine that the Mexico board is better for 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the comments about it not being recommended as an introductory game before they added the cards.

I received my copy a few weeks ago and played two 2-player Mexico games before playing the Eastern US. I thought it was a nice way to learn the mechanics, but it would be more interesting with 3, or maybe 4.

After a few plays, I think Eastern US is best with 6 and not worth trying with less than 5. There's just too much room on the map, and the game would be awfully boring without the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Mexico is excellent with three players, probably good with two but I haven't tried it.

It's not recommended as an introductory game because it's a rather harsh map: lots of mountains and rivers means issuing lots of shares. If you don't know how to grow your railroad at a good rate, you won't do well on the Mexico map. I don't think the cards have much to do with it.

You could leave the Railroad Operations cards out of the game on any map to make it more of an introductory game. If your newbie players are experienced gamers in general, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, then yes, you might want to ease them into it.

Eastern U.S. works well with four to six players, IMHO. There should be two players competing on the East coast in the beginning; other players may have some time to themselves for a while, but by the end of the game there will be plenty of competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lake
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played two 3 player games on the Mexico map and I totally agree with Rick - its a tough map in difficult terrain, and fun.

As noted above, they did add baron cards, but they did it on the cheap. The back of the baron cards is the same as the back on the operations cards, so you have to separate the 2 decks while looking at the front of the cards. Annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Venuti
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have misplaced my Mexico rules. Can someone share with me the number of depleted cities that end the game? 2 player is 8? 3 player ? 4 player? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.