War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Aggressive passive nations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have played quite a few games now, I came across a new strategy I had not seen before, in my last one (base rules). I played the Shadow and the Free Player went all out from the start for a military win.

For good or bad, I decided not to bring out the WK so that the Free people's nations would not get activated and would struggle to get to war. That worked quite well with only the Elves and Gondor to deal with.

However, about mid-way through the game an Elven army marched south from the Woodland realm and had picked up a northern army from Carrock that was not at war. It looked like they would try against Dol Guldur with the Elves but it ended up with the northern army blocking the eastern side of Moria which had been taken by then. This meant I could not bring in a relief force without activating the North and pushing them towards war. Quite a clever move I though, I will certainly try and remember that one in my future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...picked up a northern army from Carrock that was not at war. It looked like they would try against Dol Guldur with the Elves but it ended up with the northern army blocking the eastern side of Moria which had been taken by then. This meant I could not bring in a relief force without activating the North and pushing them towards war.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post (or misremembering the map), but I should point out that a nation not At War cannot leave it's borders. So, how did the Northern unite leave Carrock?

Disregard. I was misremembering the rule. Apparently a non-belligerent nation is restricted by (among other things)...
Quote:
They can move outside their National borders but can never move across the borders of other Nations (including friendly ones).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Quote:
...picked up a northern army from Carrock that was not at war. It looked like they would try against Dol Guldur with the Elves but it ended up with the northern army blocking the eastern side of Moria which had been taken by then. This meant I could not bring in a relief force without activating the North and pushing them towards war.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post (or misremembering the map), but I should point out that a nation not At War cannot leave it's borders. So, how did the Northern unite leave Carrock?

They sure can! You just can't enter another nation's borders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your opponent must really be quite awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Your opponent must really be quite awesome!

Yes! His name is only ever used to frighten small children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He took Moria with Rivendell elves (and maybe Lorien)? Then blocked Moria with from the east with the lone guy in Carrock? Then he took Dol Goldor?? Wow, those Elves must have been rolling good...or he lost miserably.

Probably only need to muster a hoss or 2 in Moria to deplete the Elven attack force. And Dol Goldor could be reinforced via a muster or 2 (or by whatever force that was being cutoff from Moria).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. Still, it's an interesting way to force the Shadow to send you to war. But I wouldn't let a measly archer from the North keep Moria in the hands of the good guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't quite like that, Dol G was threatened but never attacked as it got some friends in.

Moria was taken twice in the game, first with Lorien Elves, later with Rivendell/Lorien and Gondor forces. The first time Sauron wasn't even at war!

The Carrock army didn't stop me as such, as in the end Moria did not need to be recaptured. If I had tried though, I think the FP would have had another way of recruiting even more troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.