Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my second play today... all was going at a good pace until the first combat...

I'm asking for a sort of "lesson" about combat....you can call me dumb, but i can't get it stick on my mind.

So, i (red Terran) was attacked by the yellow Protoss: he put his Scout against my Firebat, and his Dragoon against my Marine. I had a Goliath more, forced to support.

Now, the Firebat can't damage the flying Scout... does it change something if the Goliath (which can) supports him?

Anyway, i put the Goliath to support the Marine, hoping to destroy the Dragoon... the final result was that the Firebat, the Marine and the Dragoon all died. No Splash Damage cards.
What happen to my Goliath now? Is it dead too, retiring or just staying there, forcing the attacker to retire, instead?

What if i had an Assist unit?

Thanksblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Now, the Firebat can't damage the flying Scout... does it change something if the Goliath (which can) supports him?

In this case, no.
parduz wrote:
What happen to my Goliath now? Is it dead too, retiring or just staying there, forcing the attacker to retire, instead?

The goliath lives and forces the attacker to retreat.
parduz wrote:

Assist units are placed as support, by definition. If the attacker does not successfully kill supporting units, they must retreat after the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...
Mordenthral wrote:
parduz wrote:

The goliath lives and forces the attacker to retreat.

Ok. So to kill supporting units the only way is Splash Damage or some Combat Cards?
This means also that the attacker get the area only if he kills all the defending units (not counting Assist ones)....right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
da metz
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Support units can only be killed by splash or special cards.

But normally the defender has only assist units supporting his front line units (because of the area`s unit limit). So they can hardly be killed but have to retreat if they`re the last units living.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a front line unit cannot shoot the opposing front line unit, but it CAN shoot at a supporting unit in the same skirmish AND it has sufficient strength, then a supporting unit can be killed. The person losing the supporting unit decides which unit dies if they have more than one supporting unit in that skirmish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:
If a front line unit cannot shoot the opposing front line unit, but it CAN shoot at a supporting unit in the same skirmish AND it has sufficient strength, then a supporting unit can be killed.

Don't worry for the smell and the smoke, it is just my brain
So, a front line ground unit that can't shoot to a front line flying unit then MAY shoot at a supporting ground unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Mordenthral wrote:
If a front line unit cannot shoot the opposing front line unit, but it CAN shoot at a supporting unit in the same skirmish AND it has sufficient strength, then a supporting unit can be killed.

So, a front line ground unit that can't shoot to a front line flying unit then MAY shoot at a supporting ground unit?

In the same skirmish, yes. You still compare front line strength and defence to determine if the supporting unit is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:
parduz wrote:
Mordenthral wrote:

In the same skirmish, yes. You still compare front line strength and defence to determine if the supporting unit is destroyed.

Using the played card on the supporting unit as if it was played "on it"? So using smaller number if the unit does not match the card, etc... right?

Man, i feel stupid. I read that damn rulebook dozen of times, and maybe i'm grasping it just now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you total strength and defence for both frontline units and compare them. If you have enough strength to destroy the opposing frontline unit but can't shoot at it, but you can shoot at a unit supporting it, then you can kill the supporting unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:
No, you total strength and defence for both frontline units and compare them. If you have enough strength to destroy the opposing frontline unit but can't shoot at it, but you can shoot at a unit supporting it, then you can kill the supporting unit.
That is how I understand the rule too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:
parduz wrote:

Assist units are placed as support, by definition. If the attacker does not successfully kill supporting units, they must retreat after the battle.

A minor addition: if all defending units left alive are assist units, the battle is lost and the defender is forced to retreat instead. You need a surviving NON-assist unit to successfully defend the area. Took us a play or two to realize that :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
A minor addition: if all defending units left alive are assist units, the battle is lost and the defender is forced to retreat instead.
... unless there are no surviving attackers in the area. In such a case, the defender wins and his units remain in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thank you all. It is now clear. Sure there's a lot of exceptions (if...then... unless...) but now i can handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel stupid.. Starcraft rules are.. huge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kajo wrote:

Yep. A friend told me that he have seen Starcraft already... but the guy who owned it is so slow at explaining rules (i know him) that they give up after 30min of explanations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
Kajo wrote:

Yep. A friend told me that he have seen Starcraft already... but the guy who owned it is so slow at explaining rules (i know him) that they give up after 30min of explanations

I found the best way to teach this game is to jump straight away with only basic rules, and give advices to the opponent on the first 2 or 3 turns, and explaining why I do this and that. He will make strategic mistakes, but he will learn the game by playing and remember why he lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.