Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I mean this.

Culture, technology and economy victories are progressive. If you try to get your 15th coin in this turn but can't, ok, you still have 14 and, even if you lose one, you are still near the goal.

But if you drive 5 figures to a capital and lose, you are now very weak. You need a lot of turns to rebuild the figures and it will be perhaps impossible to take them there again. Given that the players should focus in one type of victory, this would be almost a "player elimination".

Bear in mind I only play 3 times and don't know the game deeply.

What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, players should try at least 2 different victory path during mid game, and only near the end pursue one of them. So when one plan fails, another plan can be back up. If you pursue only one path, you are hoping that by pursuing one you can be faster than others. Risky, great if you pull it off, sucks if not. You are putting yourself into the position of "eliminated"

As for your question, it's actually possible to figure out your attack would be successful or not. You know their military bonuses and yours. You know their units rank. You know the number of their unit cards, and the number of unit cards you can draw. You should somehow can guess your probabilities to win using all of this info. If it's to hard to beat capital, start slowly, from the enemy figures, to cities, than capital.

And for actual advice that I'm hoping for you to take, don't worry too much about it . I think in our group we played 10+ times without seeing any single military victory. But we're having so much fun without realizing it. Suddenly, when one of the players tried military, the military victory happened about 5 times straight! Then finally we found how to hinder military players, and then it's all balanced again.

At that point, we began to be more effective in build, more aware of situations, resulting more balanced (and intended) victory distributions. So, again, don't worry too much about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone should have a decent military. If they don't they are begging to be destroyed. As long as balance is maintained it is pretty hard to destroy an opponent. Balance can be shifted either by racking up the bonuses for military or taking advantage of someone else shifting the balance for you (by either weakening a player or failing so badly at weakening another player that they themselves are weak). You definitely want to be working something else in case that never shifts for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually when this happens the game ends quicky. Someone march or steam-transport to the capital of the weakest player and easily ends the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Steam resource ability takes 2 turns. I can't see launching a suicide attack on a capital unless a) you are about to lose anyway or b) you have at least a 75%+ chance to win and virtually no chance of being wiped out. If you do get yourself wiped out then, you have allowed the other players to beat you (unless someone else can stop the invasion force before it reaches your capital, usually by attacking that player somewhere or using culture cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My point here is: If you fail on a capital attack, situar you or your enemy's are now VERY WEAK.

I never sãs a game continue for more then 2 turns after a capital is attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that is automatically true, but I can see that it is often true. Capital attacks are usually last ditch efforts to stop someone from winning (which probably fail if they have been keeping up a defense) or a concerted plan to win militarily (which means you should have planned for almost everything and it shouldn't be a gamble). Often killing a few armies (or a city) to deplete forces is a good way to get ready to take a capital. But it means you have to have a sufficiently large force pool to take losses or units so superior that you take few or none.

Even if you gamble on an attack, you probably don't have 2 turns anyway, but in 2 turns you can build 6 new units (with 3 cities) up to 8 with Engineering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you have engineering, have the 3 cities and focus on build units, you either won't have production to build the 8 units or your units are very low level.

And your enemy will be there, destroying your units with resource effects and harvesting iron.

An failed attack to a capital is the announce that The game is very near the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
Even if you have engineering, have the 3 cities and focus on build units, you either won't have production to build the 8 units or your units are very low level.

And your enemy will be there, destroying your units with resource effects and harvesting iron.

An failed attack to a capital is the announce that The game is very near the end.

You are way too absolute. I can't build 8 units but your enemy can do whatever he wants AND target me with game effects, AND get an iron or two AND skip to my capital while the other players what throw flowers at him? Even in a 2 player game if he let you get to his capital with an army group he probably isn't in a position to counter attack your capital. In a 3+ player game whatever he is doing to get you, at least two players should be doing to him. But again if you attacked a player's capital with insufficient strength to blow him away and it wasn't because he was about to win then you just play poorly and usually that is a good strategy for losing. They are called "suicide attacks" for a reason. If I attack a capital I will either win or the game will end anyway, period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am saying that a failed military final blow will weaken 2 players, making very hard to continue the game after that happens, because you will not Have time to rebuild. Just that.

In every game I played, that was what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
I am saying that a failed military final blow will weaken 2 players, making very hard to continue the game after that happens, because you will not Have time to rebuild. Just that.

In every game I played, that was what happened.

Yeah but does it end in military conquest?

If you have 3 players all the same military strength and one launches a suicide attack against another, then basically they are gambling their victory on the outcome of the battle. If it doesn't work then they will probably lose. Maybe all your players focus too much on military and so that is what it comes down to, in which case don't attack unless you can't lose or the game forces you to (by having another player about to win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.