Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pandemic Rule question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
izke3 izke3
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I just got done playing Pandemic today. Had a lot of fun playing but I was left with a question. A player had two diseases of different colors on the space he started his turn on, as well as a research station. We had found a cure for the first disease, but had not eradicated it yet. The player used the first action of his turn to find the cure for the second disease. He then used his second action to treat both of the diseases simultaneously and removed them from the board. His turn at this point only cost him two actions. Should it cost one action for each color of disease on a single space if you have found the cures for both?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes one action for each of the diseases removed from the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
izke3 wrote:
Hey guys, I just got done playing Pandemic today. Had a lot of fun playing but I was left with a question. A player had two diseases of different colors on the space he started his turn on, as well as a research station. We had found a cure for the first disease, but had not eradicated it yet. The player used the first action of his turn to find the cure for the second disease. He then used his second action to treat both of the diseases simultaneously and removed them from the board. His turn at this point only cost him two actions. Should it cost one action for each color of disease on a single space if you have found the cures for both?

Thanks for the help!

I'm assuming he wasn't the Medic since it would not have cost an action. Second, we re-read the rules in our last play for a similar situation... Our take was that each disease costs an action.

Quote:
If players have discovered a cure, instead of one cube, remove all cubes of a cured disease in your current city for one action

Of a cured disease for one action... So red is a cured disease and yellow is another cured disease. Two actions. This was our interpretation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Each "Treat Disease" action only treats one color of cubes, even if you have the cure. So you would need 2 "Treat Disease" actions to empty the city of cubes.

(Unless, of course, he was the Medic, in which case it would take no actions at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
izke3 izke3
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Hm, I guess I was playing that wrong, too. If I'm the Medic, curing diseases is a free action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
izke3 izke3
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
So, the medic treats diseases for free if the cure is known?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It is the second skill listed on the Medic card. The Medic just needs to enter a city to immediately treat all cured disease cubes there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
izke3 wrote:
Hm, I guess I was playing that wrong, too. If I'm the Medic, curing diseases is a free action?

No, curing is not free. Treating cured diseases is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
izke3 izke3
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Hey, thanks a lot! That makes a lot more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Yes. It is the second skill listed on the Medic card. The Medic just needs to enter a city to immediately treat all cured disease cubes there.

To be even more precise: If the medic is in a city when a disease is cured, and there are cubes of that colour in that city, they are immediately removed.

And as someone else corrected: curing is not free for the medic, treating is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queenc wrote:
To be even more precise: If the medic is in a city when a disease is cured, and there are cubes of that colour in that city, they are immediately removed.

To be even more precisier , they MAY be immediately removed.

Now, 999 times out of 1000 you'll want to, but it is optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
queenc wrote:

To be even more precisier , they MAY be immediately removed.

Now, 999 times out of 1000 you'll want to, but it is optional.

Can you explain the scenario for that other 1 time in the 1000?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget exactly, I think it was something with the expansion, there's some rare case you might want to manage the cube count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queenc wrote:

It should also be noted that even if a Medic is in a city and a disease that has been cured, but not eradicated, is to be placed in that city, you still must have a cube to place there even though it will be removed immediately following its placement. Not having that cube to place on the board will still cause you to lose the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxx_Pointy wrote:
Can you explain the scenario for that other 1 time in the 1000?

I can only think of one situation off the top of my head. If you have the Rapid Vaccine Deployment, and the medic is in the middle of a chain of connected cities, you wouldn't want to treat those cubes in order to get more effect from the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.