Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Heffernan
Japan
Sanda City
Hyogo Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love house rules. It is the tweaker in me. So here are a few for this game. Please post your favourite house rule. Note that my group has found that the human players win way more often than the zombie player, so this these rules tend to favour the zombie player.

1. Count out a bunch of Hero cards and discard them as part of set up.

I play with the base set and Growing Hunger. Adding the extra Hero cards that came in the expansion means that the heroes will never exhaust the hero deck. I count out 30 and make a discard pile. This leaves the all the cards in play, gives the players a chance to pick up items from the buildings right at the beginning by pulling them from the discard pile, and creates a real chance of the players losing by exhausting their Hero deck.

2. You cannot shoot a range weapon in a building with no lights.

This just makes sense.

3. Zombie player can choose to discard one card at end of turn.

Haha. Turns out that we were not playing the game correctly. Zombie player can already do this.

4. The number of non-item cards the players can have are limited.

We found that the human players were spending way to much time reading and rereading their huge stack of event cards every time dice were rolled, looking for something that fit. It got to be a bit ridiculous and sapped some of the fun from the game. We now limit the non-item cards to four. This not only encourages the playing of the cards, but more importantly speeds up the time required by the human players to decide if they should play a card or not after dice are rolled. Experienced / fast players will probably not have this problem.

And a tip....

We often forgot to advance the sun (time) track. Now to remember to do this, we put that big frog marker on the zombie deck. The only time you draw cards is at the start of the zombie turn, and moving that big frog off of the deck in order to draw cards tends to remind us to move up the sun track.

Please share your house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cooley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoofer wrote:
3. Zombie player can choose to discard one card at end of turn.

Too many times the zombie player has been stuck with a card such as "Cat Fight!", which is played on two female characters, when there was only one female character in play. In one game, the zombie player had three such useless cards. That was really frustrating. The zombie player should be able to discard one card at the end of the zombie turn.

And a tip....

We often forgot to advance the sun (time) track. Now to remember to do this, we put that big frog marker on the zombie deck. The only time you draw cards is at the start of the zombie turn, and moving that big frog off of the deck in order to draw cards tends to remind us to move up the sun track.

Please share your house rules.

The zombie player already gets to discard a card before they draw. Do you let them discard twice (once at the beginning and once at the end)?

If so, I think being able to cycle half their hand a turn, not counting playing cards (or in the case of 2 zombie players, cycling all 4 of their cards), is a bit much, but that's just me.

That tip is a great idea. I know when we play sometimes we have to remember whether it has moved or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use #2, that's pretty much it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coinspnnr wrote:
The zombie player already gets to discard a card before they draw. Do you let them discard twice (once at the beginning and once at the end)?

Yep, no need for a house rule here, the Zombie already gets to discard one card a turn. I do think discarding at the end of the turn is a little more intuitive than discarding at the beginning, but on the other hand, this is slightly better for the Zombie as there may be a chance to play that card in the meantime.

Other than that, some interesting ideas. The gun in a dark room makes sense. As an alternative, I'd consider allowing it with a penalty to the die roll.

EDIT: Oh, and #1 is also interesting. I tend to push the scenarios that don't focus on necessary search items (e.g., We've Got To Go Back instead of Escape in the Truck), as I find them more interesting, but do you make any adjustments to this if playing a scenario that does rely on those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Coomer
United States
New Carlisle
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We allow the Flare Gun to be used as a fire item to ignite stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Heffernan
Japan
Sanda City
Hyogo Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh man. After rereading the rules, I see that the zombie does get to discard one card. We were doing that wrong. Thanks guys for pointing that one out.

RedShark92 wrote:
[q="coinspnnr"]
EDIT: Oh, and #1 is also interesting. I tend to push the scenarios that don't focus on necessary search items (e.g., We've Got To Go Back instead of Escape in the Truck), as I find them more interesting, but do you make any adjustments to this if playing a scenario that does rely on those?

As for the scenarios with needed search items, we think the fun of those scenarios is finding the items in the deck, so after creating the discard pile, we quickly pull out any scenario-specific items and shuffle them back in to the Hero deck before we start. We then do the character item draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoofer wrote:
Note that my group has found that the human players win way more often than the zombie player

Really? In the dozen or so games of this I've played, every game but two literally came down to the last die roll on the last turn. The other two games were resounding zombie victories.

This is one of the most balanced games I've ever played, which is why I enjoy it so much.

Maybe you are doing some of the other rules wrong, if you think Zombies are getting trounced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
have you tried to play with zombies CAN'T MOVE through the walls?
I don't like zombies pass through walls as there were no. and you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Heffernan
Japan
Sanda City
Hyogo Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, being able to discard the one card every turn really helps. We will see.

These days, our favourite scenario is a modification of the first one. We play with all 21 zombies in play (14 plus 7 from Growing Hunger). Add to this the autospawn rule, modified to be one to three zombies per turn, and.... Oh the Horror! We love it. It feels so hopeless for the humans, who seem to come through in the last few turns and win. Awesome fun. However, I only do this modification with the first scenario, where your goal is to kill zombies. I read others complaining that that scenario was too easy for the humans. As compensation, dead heroes are replaced, and we play with the exploration markers that allow one free search. However, you need to land on that square with the marker to get the free search.

We keep playing this one over and over. We need to go back and play some of the others now that we know the correct rule about zombie player discarding one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with Zombie Autospawn and heroes always become zombie heroes.

The first because rolling the dice to check to see if you spawn is just really... meh. It really disrupts the flow. I like that there will always be more zombies added to the board unless all of them are out already.

I just think always zombie heroes is just another really good tool and makes the games more fun.

And I don't think adding these two rules makes it unbalanced at all. I think we also sometimes just add one additional starting hero card to get things rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Heffernan
Japan
Sanda City
Hyogo Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I completely agree. We also use Autospawn every game now, as well as zombie heroes. However, we had a string of human player(s) losses and scaled back the number of spawned zombies to 1-3 instead of 1-6. (The shift in balance from the above posts probably reflects that we are using the correct rules now. )

We also play with unlimited heroes. In the original rules, in a 5 player game the heroes are replaced after they die (because the player lost their last hero), but not in a two player game. Why have a difference? We like replacing them. Players are more risky with their heroes when they know the hero will be replaced.

Edited for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I like the unlimited heroes.

I think part of what makes this game great is how much each character means. If Jenny is disposable, then I can just throw her away and not care what happens.

But the more important each character is, the more intense each move gets. I think the game is more fun when every character is fighting to help get to the lonely Billy on the other end of the board instead of not caring about whether or not he dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
I really like some of the house rules on this thread, here is a few of ours. Before I make the list, I have to fill you guys in on a few things. We play this game, ALOT! Maybe 3-6 rounds a day, and we have become pretty advanced, so here are some of our house rules. We have the core game and Growing Hunger and made up this rules:
1. Zombies can discard all cards at the end of the Zombie turn and pull 4 new cards at the start of the next Zombie turn.
2. We have always played to where if a Hero is killed, the player draws a new Hero right away.
3. We have also made a list that we use before each round. With this list, the game is never the same. Pretty much we roll before each round and go by this list:
Roll 1D6 for this list:
1-4: Random Scenario for LNoE or GH
5-6: Web Scenario

1-3: 14 Zombies
4-6: 21 Zombies

1-3: NO Well Stocked Buildings
4-6: Well Stocked Building

1-3: Free Search
4-6: Exploration

We have found that this list will make even the basic games like "Die Zombie Die" new again and the game is never the same. Hope to hear some feedback about our list and if anyone has more to add, that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.