Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently bought Dragonspire as my first Thunderstone game. I purchased it primarily as a solo deck building game and so far have only played it as such. I love the game and am having a blast playing but my question is this; is it pretty much impossible to win solo with just Dragonspire? And do other sets make it more feasible? I like a challenge, I am just curious because with just Dragonspire solo it seems that the best I can do is to lose by not as much (which admittedly is fun in itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
is it pretty much impossible to win solo with just Dragonspire? And do other sets make it more feasible?

Hah! Great question.

My gut instinct is that it is harder with just the Dragonspire cards. I haven't tried this just yet but I will over the next week and will come back to share some direct experience feedback.

What I can say now is that with all of the expansions, I typically win around 2 out of every 3 games. That ratio is higher if I play with the solo rules in Wrath of the Elements which is a bit easier as you have more cards to work with and don't have any leveling up requirements. In my experience, the hardest part of the Dragonspire solo rules is in pacing your dungeon/village visits to make sure you hit your leveling up requirement before the Thunderstone is drawn.

If this issue is nailing you as well OR if you want to reduce the challenge a notch, I suggest adding a 4th monster group. This would eliminate some of the race as the extra cards and time would make a world of difference in having time to level up. It would also give you more fun fight time with your level 3 heroes.

I also suggest always playing with two Thuderstones mixed into the bottom 10 cards. I always do this (solo or in groups) as seeing the first Thunderstone is kind of a "last call" single that adds some nice tension to the final rounds and eliminates having to pay as close of attention to the amount of remaining cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 3 solo games with just the Dragonspire set. I have won 1x and lost 2x. One of my losses was a massive loss & my win was also by a lot of points. It really matters what monsters and what heros come out.

So, to answer your question: Yes, it is possible to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there rules for solo play in the Dragonspire rule book? I've been thinking of picking this up and read some posts to pick up TS-Dragonspire rather than the original Thunderstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
iconsam wrote:
Are there rules for solo play in the Dragonspire rule book? I've been thinking of picking this up and read some posts to pick up TS-Dragonspire rather than the original Thunderstone.

The rules aren't in Dragonspire, but they're available here:
http://www.alderac.com/images/2009/08/thunderstonesolorules....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
iconsam wrote:

The rules aren't in Dragonspire, but they're available here:
http://www.alderac.com/images/2009/08/thunderstonesolorules....

Thanks for the link and the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I just played my first full game solo and lost badly. I had 30 VP and the monsters had 60.
Phew, this is going to be tough. I might try adding a 4th monster type as per the above suggestion.
Also, does anyone else find their hands get bogged down with defeated monster cards? I need the VP obviously, but most monster cards aren't worth anything in your hand and the more you defeat the more they clog up your deck.
Am I doing something wrong?
Great game though. Just wish I had some people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.