Subject: Pathwarden - Overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife, freinds and I play this game A LOT. I mean its rare for me not to play it every night so i get to see some huge synergies in the game that rarely see play (i.e. Rocket/burrower/design mech combo, Cetra and draw combos, dual snapdragon life bound etc etc) but the one card that makes everyone groan when it gets bought is the path warden, particulally (but not universally) when its aquired withint the first 5-6 turns.

I've rarely seen someone who aquires this card lose. As soon as you get this card it allows you to focus on runes and draw knowing that one in every 3 hands you are gonna take down a massive creature or two.
I mean you can easily push out a 10 power/rune hand that gives you the option to do whatever you want. There really isn't a card in the game that gives you the flexibility that the pathwarden does and IMO its the card that goes the furtherst towards breaking the rune/power conundrum that makes ascension such a tactical game.

One of my buddies hates it so much that he started to refuse to play with it. When either my wife or I see the other pick it up we resign ourselves to watching the other person "ascend" to great heights while we pick around at the crumbs.

Does anyone else share this view? I'm of the opinion that 6 is too cheap for the game changing ability this card has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
if no one likes it, and it’s a simple promo expansion, why not just not play without it?

I don’t have it myself so I don’t know about brokenness of it. Don’t people also groan over how broken first turn advantage is in your group too? I don’t think the card could be worse in play than that...

edit: key typo. woops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robosheep wrote:
if no one likes it, and it’s a simple promo expansion, why not just not play without it?

FTFY

(My own initial reaction was, well, maybe that's why they recommend putting 2 in a deck! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i totally agree it is a powerful "engine" card. Magic cards that converted one resource to another are typical very powerful, and this is no exception. Yggdrasil staff has a similar function of resource conversion allowing a rune-buying player to drain the honor pool. that said...I think he's very fun to play, and if you focus on runes only, you can only kill things when you draw the Pathwarden. And i agree with the above post: playing with two makes him appear regularly but an allow 2 players to both have him potentially. Strong? For sure. broken? i don't think so, but i can see why you might want to slot him out in your play group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucian Loo
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm with the rest... It doesn't really matter what the rest of us or even the game designer thinks. If you or your group found a particular card to be potentially game breaking *for your group*, why not just do without it?

Having fun is more important than trying to play a game the "correct" way IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robosheep wrote:
:what:if no one likes it, and it’s a simple promo expansion, why not just not play without it?[/quote]

as i said above, it depends on who i play with. I really don't mind if its in or not i'm just conversing about the strength of it. If you don't think its op'd thats fine.

[quote] Don’t people also groan over how broken first turn advantage is in your group too? I don’t think the card could be worse in play than that...

we've discussed that quite a lot and the consencus was that
a) there is enough randomness in the board and card draw to prevent a player going 1st to get any long term advantage.
b) the player going last often has the choice of finishing the round when HE chooses to. This often results in any early advantage by the player going 1st being neutralized by the last player taking a 9-10 honor turn to finish the game (Rat King, i'm looking at you) or delaying it an extra round to get those few extra points to win.

james wrote:
totally agree it is a powerful "engine" card. Magic cards that converted one resource to another are typical very powerful, and this is no exception. Yggdrasil staff has a similar function of resource conversion allowing a rune-buying player to drain the honor pool.

The staff is rarely used in that manner and if it is its usually at the end of the game and its constrained by the "one use per turn" clause. Sometimes i feel the pathwarden is just too open ended. Itself its a heavy infantry or a mystic but it makes all Mystics into either and every apprentice into a mechana initiate.

Quote:
that said...I think he's very fun to play, and if you focus on runes only, you can only kill things when you draw the Pathwarden. And i agree with the above post: playing with two makes him appear regularly but an allow 2 players to both have him potentially. Strong? For sure. broken? i don't think so, but i can see why you might want to slot him out in your play group.

Yeah i was wondering whether using two was to offset its power by allowing two people to get it but the problem is that the person playing the pathwarden is most likely to buy it because they will have a rune focused game. Its certainly something to try.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, i was mainly interested to see what the active community thought of this card.
I'm not calling for a banning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.