Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
dmillwillkill wrote:
After all of the Mayday shenanigans that have recently come up I dont think I'd like to purchase one of their boards anymore. I'm interested in a Hilinski board but it would take them a while before they could start working on one for me. What can anyone tell me about Mr. Crokinole or Muzzies boards?

I have no experience with Mr. Crokinole, but with Muzzies I can tell you that they produce VERY high quality traditional AND tournament boards. They come with the standard discs, and can usually get you a board shipped within a week or two from my experience. The pegs are metal, the surface is smooth and flawless, and all in all they are VERY VERY good....I'm very satisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My suggestion: go for the best. I haven't seen anything that beats a Hilinski, and it's worth both the cost and the wait.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be speaking out of school, but I believe the Mr. Crokinole Tournament boards are better quality than the Hilinski boards. Hilinski appears to specialize in decent boards with customized art, while Mr. Crokinole specializes in top quality, tournament boards designed for play.

I purchased a 9/10 scale board from Mr. Crokinole for budgetary reasons (Tavistock); however, it uses the same construction, and I thought it would be sufficient for the family and me to learn the game. I had never played crokinole before this purchase, but I was confident I would like it based on other dexterity games that I really enjoy.

Either way, you cannot go wrong as there are enough fans that rave about all three vendors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I don't personally care for crokinole. But, I'm the host most the time, so I've been thinking of getting a board.

I just can't justify that much for a board though. But I still drowl over but the Helsinki and the Mr. Crokinole.

Now thanks to this thread It sounds like I have a third to lust after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is also willard...not sure about the story behind them but they are well spoken of...http://www.crokinolegame.ca/

I know it always gets brought up but definitely search through this forum cause this has been discussed thoroughly.

but yeah

Hillinski,
Mr. Crokinole
Muzzies
Willard
are the big four that seem to be regularly mentioned.

I ordered the Hillinski about a month ago...hopefully they've started on mine by now =) I didn't go for the painting but I really liked the idea of custom ordering my board...though in retrospect I'm not sure I'm happy with the veneer I chose....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Banana
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a cheapie board ($35 at Toys R US; I've seen the same board for $50 at a game store) for kids to play with at the school where I volunteer (I wouldn't use an expensive board in this situation.) Lately, I've been noticing there are lots of places for inexpensive Crokinole boards - at least here in southern Ontario.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember, you get what you pay for. When I do get one, it will be for life, but so far I've had a hard time getting a board for the price of 5-6 other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
What Mayday shenanigans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
What Mayday shenanigans?

This article covers some of the shenanigans: http://www.purplepawn.com/2011/03/mayday-games-slammed-over-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Caraway
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Shenanigans aside, the Mayday board that I bought about 6 months ago is actually very nice. You have to understand what it is that you are getting. They are made in China out of materials that are meant to keep the cost down. Mayday makes no bones about letting you know that up front. Is the quality control from China as exacting as a Hilinski? Of course not, but you are paying half or less. Heck, I doubt the Chinese manufacturer of the Mayday boards had even seen one prior to being approached by Seth and Company.

Bottom line, the Mayday board will last for years and years if cared for properly and I have no regrets about getting one. Do I want a super nice board? Naturally. I may get one down the road just like I may upgrade from my Chevy to a Mercedes, but for my first purchase, the Mayday experience was quite satisfying and within my budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Before I decided to make my own I noticed that there were a couple people making some nice looking ones and posting them on ebay from time to time they were usually around $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
LarryKruger wrote:
I may be speaking out of school, but I believe the Mr. Crokinole Tournament boards are better quality than the Hilinski boards. Hilinski appears to specialize in decent boards with customized art, while Mr. Crokinole specializes in top quality, tournament boards designed for play.

Whoa, hey, them's fighting words! I haven't played with a "Mr. Crokinole" board but I'm not shooting Cheetos on a paper plate here with my Hilinski board, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played on several Mr. Crokinole boards and found them all to be of high quality. My on board was made by www.crokinole.de, who received inside help from Mr. Crokinole to set up their business, so that is of the same high standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
dmillwillkill wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone! After checking out all the different websites I decided to go with this bad boy:

http://www.muzzies.ca/tournament_blo.html

Excellent choice! I have this one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

but yeah

Hillinski,
Mr. Crokinole
Muzzies
Willard

Not to get too self referntial quoting myself =) but I just thought of a question : Between these four guys is it pretty much a case of "you can't go wrong" / "they are all great choices"? It seems to me that the differences brought up between these boards are of how long it takes to get the boards, the price, the responsiveness of the companies, aesthetics, and very slight differences in smoothness.

But I haven't heard anything bad about the build quality or really anything less than overall awesomeness for any of these boards.

Anyone want to say something to the contrary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

but yeah

Hillinski,
Mr. Crokinole
Muzzies
Willard

Not to get too self referntial quoting myself =) but I just thought of a question : Between these four guys is it pretty much a case of "you can't go wrong" / "they are all great choices"? It seems to me that the differences brought up between these boards are of how long it takes to get the boards, the price, the responsiveness of the companies, aesthetics, and very slight differences in smoothness.

But I haven't heard anything bad about the build quality or really anything less than overall awesomeness for any of these boards.

Anyone want to say something to the contrary?

If you look you can find complaints about all of them, though not many. Generally its just quality issues with a specific board that didn't get checked as well as it should have before getting shipped. Really if you look at what a crokinole board is there isn't a lot that can go wrong with a hand made one. All they are is big flat boards with some pegs and a whole in the middle that have been waxed.

The mayday boards seem to be suffering from some quality checking issues but if you don't get a problem board its going to work as well and last as long as any other board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ruddy
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just added as an after-thought - for great mid-range boards (I bought one for my mother) and other good stuff (nice crib boards) in Canada check out www.michaudtoys.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex I.
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:

The mayday boards seem to be suffering from some quality checking issues but if you don't get a problem board its going to work as well and last as long as any other board.

Uhm, no they wouldn't. They are beyond just "some quality checking issues." The lacquer is uneven/porous in areas, which actually causes the synthetic veneer sticker to bubble up and affect play. There are even screw heads that protrude through the top. I would assume the ones that are properly made would last quite a bit longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
aingerso wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

Uhm, no they wouldn't. They are beyond just "some quality checking issues." The lacquer is uneven/porous in areas, which actually causes the synthetic veneer sticker to bubble up and affect play. There are even screw heads that protrude through the top. I would assume the ones that are properly made would last quite a bit longer.

My referance to qualiy checking issues was that the defective boards left the factory at all, not the level to which they are defective.

As I said; If you don't get one of the boards with manufacturing defects it will probably last just as long. If you get a board with a bunch of things wrong with it there will be a bunch of things wrong with it no matter where you get it from. There are lots of messed up Mayday boards out there but at least a few people have said their's are in perfect condition so I think my statement was fair.

If you like I can rephrase to say that if you're lucky enough to get a mayday board that arrives in perfect condition it will likely last as long as a high quality board from another seller.

Of course the only way to ensure the level of quality going into a board is to either watch as its being made or to make it yourself. Really pretty easy to do if they want to bother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex I.
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
My referance to qualiy checking issues was that the defective boards left the factory at all, not the level to which they are defective.

As I said; If you don't get one of the boards with manufacturing defects it will probably last just as long. If you get a board with a bunch of things wrong with it there will be a bunch of things wrong with it no matter where you get it from. There are lots of messed up Mayday boards out there but at least a few people have said their's are in perfect condition so I think my statement was fair.

If you like I can rephrase to say that if you're lucky enough to get a mayday board that arrives in perfect condition it will likely last as long as a high quality board from another seller.

Of course the only way to ensure the level of quality going into a board is to either watch as its being made or to make it yourself. Really pretty easy to do if they want to bother.

To be short, b/c you can refer to the extensive threads on this... You're right in a way. There was no quality control. They were sent straight to customers after they were taken out of the shipping containers. The defects are consistent across the majority of the boards. Mayday claimed they didn't even know about the synthetic veneer at the start. Mine managed to make it through shipping but applying wax actually damaged the board. Even if it arrives in perfect conditions, they are not really comparable to the others.

I had a Mayday. I wouldn't recommend it. So anyone looking at these options listed here will be better for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
yes. Anyone can read all of that and if they are spending that much money I would hope that they would. It's not however what I was talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.