Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I should really test this out, but I just wanted to float this idea and see what people could do with it...

I love Regatta. However, it seems that often the first person who takes the lead retains it indefinitely, regardless of what happens. It's very easy to make optimal route choices in this game, even with the changing wind.

If only there were a way to slow down the leader and allow the others to catch up...

What about the idea of currents in the water? They would be undiscovered until the leader stumbled upon them, and then they would cause the leader to lose a leg/reduce their leg by one space/whatever.

This would address the problem of the leader getting away scott free with first place every time. AND, it would allow the followers to catch up by avoiding those currents.

The currents could be placed by the remaining players in secret as soon as the leader is established/first player goes across the line/something.

My concern is that perhaps currents don't significantly affect real yacht races because the yachts may ride too high in the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may not affect real-world races because currents tend to be rather stable and would be known to all competitors- of course the "locals" are always at an advantage in complicated current/weather situations.
I also think it could introduce yet more luck into the game, and I not really happy with the amount of luck as it is. In my Dinghy Race variant I try to amend this a bit, but as it is now, the "weather eye" option is not a catch-the-leader mechanism. Maybe you can come up with a variant on that?
OTOH, leading is an advantage in yacht racing, so attempts to minimize this advantage will perhaps always be "gamey".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the input, Lutz. I also think catch-the-leader mechanisms seem "gamey". However, my game group still loves this game, even with the runaway leader tendencies, so I'll probably not mess with it for awhile. I'm intrigued by your version also, I just need to make the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I have seen a regatta just inside San Francisco's Golden Gate, which has a massive current with the tide, and that current didn't impact the lead boat's lead at all. Essentially it created a patch of water where all boats moved laterally with the current. Of course, the tidal flow has a long duration. I like your idea, but I don't think it has any real world sailing basis.

Side note, as water flows into the Bay through the gate it hits a shelf, and in one particular area the water "boils" and is very turbulent. It's quite a sight to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Iain. Yeah, I suspected as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi , have just acquired this game and havent yet played it. My understanding is that the leader doesnt necessarily go first and as such could be blanketed by someone from behind. Player A goes first until he throws an 'S' when player B to his left takes over the mantle. At this juncture player D could be the leader. Can someone confirm this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
You are correct Alan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.