Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day.

The text on squad Lorenzo's support card reads:
Quote:
Each time Sergeant Lorenzo rolls a [skull symbol] while defending the attack misses and slay 1 of the attacking Genestealers. If the swarm still contains a Genestealer, it attacks again.

So, does it make a difference if the swarm in question happens to be behind him? The card itself mentions nothing about facing. I did a quick scan of the rules, and as far as I can decipher, a marine attacked by a swarm from behind, whilst unable to spend support tokens to re-roll failures, is nonetheless still considered to be defending. Therefore, my reasoning is that even when attacked from behind, Sgt Lorenzo can still decapitate Genestealers as long as he keeps rolling skulls.

Can I get a show of hands, please? Or a page and paragraph number from someone who knows the rules better than me?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am of the same opinion as you are but I don't know if this is the official answer as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive had the same doubt playing the other day. And i resolved it the same way as you. In MY opinion sgt lorenzo can still decapitate genestealers even attaked from behind. But thats not in the rules.
Hope somebody knows a correct answer for this question. (the official one)

Tx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TMHO facing does not matter for this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Not here!
mb
birdman37 wrote:
as far as I can decipher, a marine attacked by a swarm from behind, whilst unable to spend support tokens to re-roll failures, is nonetheless still considered to be defending. Therefore, my reasoning is that even when attacked from behind, Sgt Lorenzo can still decapitate Genestealers as long as he keeps rolling skulls.

I'm with you on this matter. I'm posting this answer from my workplace (!) and don't have the rules book by hand, but I myself have checked the book thoroughly on this, and is adamant that this is the right way to do it.

I'm siding with you, Andrew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct. The rules clearly state:
Quote:
Special abilities may be used regardless of a Space
Marine’s facing except when attacking or spending
a Support Token to reroll a die (see “Facing and
Range” on page 19). For example, the “Block”
Action card’s ability may be used even when the
Space Marine is attacked from behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Thanks all for the (lightning fast) support, and especially Deebs for digging up the official legislation.

In case you're interested, I played it this way in my game, and it came in very handy - saved Lorenzo's metal-plated butt on two separate occasions, such that he was able to survive long enough to punch the control panel in the Launch Control room, and win the game for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean you have actually won a game of this? So it's not impossible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, not impossible at all. I've won probably 20% of my games so far. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas.

I'm a little embarrased to admit this, but it turns out I didn't win. I unknowingly went and violated regex's seventh commandment while in the final terrain, and activated the control panel twice in the same round (and on two distinct occasions!). The marines in question were from two separate teams, so I thought I was in the clear, but no.

So my control panel had a total of three support tokens on it at the time I was rolling for a win, but two of them were illegal. And I rolled a three.

Still, I came darn close, and at least I'm clear on the ruling for marines' special abilities and facing now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
Friman wrote:
Friman wrote:
From the Official FAQ: (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/death-angel/mi...)

Question: Does the special ability of the “Counter Attack” card
apply to Genestealer attacks from behind Brother Valencio?
Answer: Yes. Special abilities may be used regardless of a
Space Marine’s facing (unless otherwise specified).

And we all assume that when they say "Valencio", they mean "Lorenzo", because Valencio has no special ability at all when attacked from behind. (Some Official FAQ this is...)

I think the key-part of this is the actual answer...
Answer: Yes. Special abilities may be used regardless of a Space Marine’s facing (unless otherwise specified)

But I agree about the name... FFG should've written Lorenzo before posting this FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.