Subject: Problem of Falling Behind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I did witness one game where one person fell behind early and didn't have much of chance for the rest of the game. Seems like other reviewers have commented on this from time to time.

One suggested fix I read some years ago went something like this: once per game, a player can choose to hold a "festival" by playing a political action card. The festival also costs four gold coins and requires using a rich harvest card from the display at the same time. In return, the player gets up to four people figures that he can place among any of his castles. At the end of the game, you lose 1 victory point for each people figure that you got through a festival.

The suggested fix looks a bit convoluted, but the germ of the idea looks correct. Additional population figures do tend to help cities to survive better. Once a city loses buildings due to lack of population, it is in danger of a downward spiral compared to its more prosperous neighbors. This is one reason why the Golden Times card can be a very helpful card.

What if we tried a simpler rule like the following: During the population phases of the second and third turns of the game, each player gets one additional people figure, above the normal population growth, that he can place (in turn order) in any city. This gives early weak cities a better chance to survive and helps prevent players from being doomed by early setbacks.

One could also make the additonal people figures an option on those turns, costing one victory point each at the end of the game, if you choose to take them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Just wanted to note that, this past weekend, I was trying out Joe Casadonte's Political Card Variant (found in the files section), where playing an action card moves the action card queue one card down to the right. Not only does his variant address the problem of a stagnant action card queue, but it looks like it also solves the problem of lagging behind very well. It does so simply by presenting each player more choices each round to adapt to any weaknesses, including a better possibility of getting Golden Times to prop up weak cities. The problem of a stagnant action card queue was that it often forced players to make sub-optimal card choices, from the severe lack of any better options. The constrained card choice would sometimes even benefit the next player greatly because of the next card drawn from the deck. It could very well be that the Casadonte variant leads to a better balanced game and gives better chances of coming back when you fall behind.

The one concern about the Casadonte variant might be that it doesn't give tight enough constraints to card choice, but the problem did not arise in practice. Each round it always felt as though one was faced with interesting decisions to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
woops, substitute "political card queue" whenever "action card queue" is mentioned in the above reply.

Also, I found that the Casadonte variant is better than the idea of only replacing the entire political card queue at the beginning of each turn. The latter idea can still lead to some stagnant situations in the political card queue, leading to sub-optimal card choices by players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I have a variant named after me! surprise

Glad you enjoyed the game. I really need to play this again soon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.