Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discover a cure and treat disease rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
My first play (solo 2 player) and i have a few questions.

When discover a cure (having 5 cards etc.) what happends afterwords, with the cubes of the same color.
Are they removed from the board.?

As far as i can read in the rules, nothing happends to the cubes.??
So whats the point in discovering a cure.?
It seems very hard to go to each cities, only to treat disease (removing 1 cube at a time)


Is it allow to move back and forth between 2 citis and treat disease (for action of cause)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
When discover a cure (having 5 cards etc.) what happends afterwords, with the cubes of the same color.
Are they removed from the board.?


No. Nothing happens immediately.

After curing a disease, two new things may happen, depending on your actions:

1. When treating the cubes of the cured color in a city, you remove ALL of them in that city, not just one.
2. The medic automatically removes all cubes of any cured color, for free, in the medic's current city (this doesn't require an action).

So there are advantages to curing (besides winning the game ). But yes, it's not that easy, even after a cure.

denmyos wrote:

Is it allow to move back and forth between 2 citis and treat disease (for action of cause)


I don't know what you mean by this. You can move around as long as you have actions left to do so. Perhaps my answer to the first question will help you make sense of why you wouldn't want to do this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After a cure is discovered, all the cubes of that color remain on the board and cities of that color can still infect. But, that disease is easier to treat. You can treat all the cubes in a city of the cured color for one action. {ex: Blue is cured, Atlanta has 3 blue cubes in it, one action in Atlanta will remove all three cubes}

Any time after a cure is discovered, if all the cubes of that color are removed from the board, then that disease is eradicated and will no longer infect when that color is drawn from the deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
So whats the point in discovering a cure.?

Discovering all four cures = the game is won.

You don't need to clean up all the cubes, just discover the four cures.

(Other people have mentioned how finding the cures helps treat diseases, but to me it sounded like you missed the main point of discovering cures)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
denmyos wrote:


[q="denmyos"]
Is it allow to move back and forth between 2 citis and treat disease (for action of cause)


I don't know what you mean by this. You can move around as long as you have actions left to do so. Perhaps my answer to the first question will help you make sense of why you wouldn't want to do this.


I read this question and almost wonder if you are playing correctly with 'standard' curing. You can cure more than one cube without moving. You're not limited to one cube per city per turn.. just per action. So, you can move to a city with one action and use all remaining actions to cure cubes (one cube per action).

So not required to "move back and forth" between two cities.

Other points already mentioned here about once a cure if found, "cube-cleanup" is faster because standard roles can clean all cubes with one action and medic doesn't even need to spend an action..... just get the medic to the city.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
scottieGGGG wrote:
dcclark wrote:
denmyos wrote:


[q="denmyos"]
Is it allow to move back and forth between 2 citis and treat disease (for action of cause)


I don't know what you mean by this. You can move around as long as you have actions left to do so. Perhaps my answer to the first question will help you make sense of why you wouldn't want to do this.


I read this question and almost wonder if you are playing correctly with 'standard' curing. You can cure more than one cube without moving. You're not limited to one cube per city per turn.. just per action. So, you can move to a city with one action and use all remaining actions to cure cubes (one cube per action).

So not required to "move back and forth" between two cities.

Other points already mentioned here about once a cure if found, "cube-cleanup" is faster because standard roles can clean all cubes with one action and medic doesn't even need to spend an action..... just get the medic to the city.


So if a cure is found i can move to a city and remove ALL cubes with one action.?

Without a cure i have to use 1 action pr. cube.?




Thx everyone that clear things up for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Now, I'm curious what you were doing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
i had my first real game today with my kids.
We lost, we ran out of cards.
We also never had a breakout,, is that possible?
we played the beginner version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
i had my first real game today with my kids.
We lost, we ran out of cards.
We also never had a breakout,, is that possible?
we played the beginner version.


I'll assume you meant outbreaks.

It's entirely possible to not have any outbreaks. But it sounds like you spend a bit too much time treating diseases and not enough time finding cures.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Yes we spend alot of time treating diseases.
And did not fly around building labs.
Maybe we should try that instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
We had our second game to night.
Still did not get a outbreak, even though we played a normal game.
We ran out of cards again.
In the end it got a bit boring, one player had the medic and was flying around treat disease before a outbreak occurs. We were not even close to getting a outbreak.
we only had 2 labs, and we only used them once.

In the end this game was a bit of a let down.

Maybe i should jack it up to heroic before it gets exciting.?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
Maybe i should jack it up to heroic before it gets exciting.?

It sounds like you lost. Perhaps you should win at the current level before making it harder. In order to avoid running out of cards, you'll have to get cures faster, which probably means flying around less, which will mean more cubes piling up, which will lead to more outbreaks.

At least, that's what it sounds like to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still sounds a bit odd to me. Even with doing lots of treating, there are just some places you can't reach to stop outbreaks. You can't be everywhere.

I'd like to see a few detailed turns, to see what you're doing. This kind of thing:

Turn 1:
Medic: treat 2 cubes in Atlanta, move to Washington, Play Baghdad card to fly there, treat 3 cubes.
Researcher: Give Bogota to Scientist, move to Chicago, to Frisco, to Manila.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
denmyos wrote:
Maybe i should jack it up to heroic before it gets exciting.?

It sounds like you lost. Perhaps you should win at the current level before making it harder. In order to avoid running out of cards, you'll have to get cures faster, which probably means flying around less, which will mean more cubes piling up, which will lead to more outbreaks.

Hmm part of the beauty of Pandemic is holding back from the "instant gratification" of cleaning up the disease cubes versus the "invisible" long term goal of getting the cards for the four cures.

I already mentioned it, but in his original post, denmyos seemed to think cures were an almost irrelevant part of the game. Perhaps he mistakenly thinks the goal of the game is to remove all the disease cubes, and they ignore making cures in favour of using all their cards to fly around treating disease.

denmyos, when you lose the game because you've run out of cards, how many cures do you have at that time?

denmyos wrote:
We ran out of cards again.
...
we only had 2 labs, and we only used them once.

Errrm so assuming that "use" was to make a cure, you lost the game with only one cure? Sounds like you lost badly. You've only won when you have four cures.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Rainbow Snake wrote:
peakhope wrote:
denmyos wrote:
Maybe i should jack it up to heroic before it gets exciting.?

It sounds like you lost. Perhaps you should win at the current level before making it harder. In order to avoid running out of cards, you'll have to get cures faster, which probably means flying around less, which will mean more cubes piling up, which will lead to more outbreaks.

Hmm part of the beauty of Pandemic is holding back from the "instant gratification" of cleaning up the disease cubes versus the "invisible" long term goal of getting the cards for the four cures.

I already mentioned it, but in his original post, denmyos seemed to think cures were an almost irrelevant part of the game. Perhaps he mistakenly thinks the goal of the game is to remove all the disease cubes, and they ignore making cures in favour of using all their cards to fly around treating disease.

denmyos, when you lose the game because you've run out of cards, how many cures do you have at that time?

denmyos wrote:
We ran out of cards again.
...
we only had 2 labs, and we only used them once.

Errrm so assuming that "use" was to make a cure, you lost the game with only one cure? Sounds like you lost badly. You've only won when you have four cures.


It was possible for use to treat disease, with out using any cards to fly. Though we send the medic out to treat disease with more than one cube.
I was hoping that this game would force (really force you, or all hell gonna break loose) you make some decisions, whether to treat or to make cures.
If we choose to treat disease, you run the risk of running out of card and loose, hoorray big deal.
I was hoping for some nail bitting thinking, "ohh my god, we need to do this fast or the whole world will die"
I only got " ooh my god, we need to do this fast or we will run out of cards..." big deal!!
did'nt get much kick out of that.

Or maybe im playing it with the wrong people ( my kids 10 and 12) or maybe im not the best "dungeon master"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
I was hoping for some nail bitting thinking, "ohh my god, we need to do this fast or the whole world will die"
I only got " ooh my god, we need to do this fast or we will run out of cards..." big deal!!
did'nt get much kick out of that.


When you run out of cards, the whole world dies.

The deck represents the last waning days of humanity's hope for salvation and what your team is able to do with that time. If you can't get some science done while keeping disease from spreading, it's global annihilation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Maxx_Pointy wrote:
denmyos wrote:
I was hoping for some nail bitting thinking, "ohh my god, we need to do this fast or the whole world will die"
I only got " ooh my god, we need to do this fast or we will run out of cards..." big deal!!
did'nt get much kick out of that.


When you run out of cards, the whole world dies.

The deck represents the last waning days of humanity's hope for salvation and what your team is able to do with that time. If you can't get some science done while keeping disease from spreading, it's global annihilation.


HEHE good one, as i said im not a good dungeon master.

Another question though.
There are 5 pawn and 5 role cards. But the game are meant for 4 players.??
Have anybody tried to play with 5 players.?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:

It was possible for use to treat disease, with out using any cards to fly. Though we send the medic out to treat disease with more than one cube.

So, if you weren't using cards for cures, and weren't using them to fly or make research stations, what did you do with the all the cards? You can't hold more than 7.

denmyos wrote:

I was hoping for some nail bitting thinking, "ohh my god, we need to do this fast or the whole world will die"
I only got " ooh my god, we need to do this fast or we will run out of cards..." big deal!!
did'nt get much kick out of that.

It's pretty nailbiting when I've played Pandemic with all sorts of different players, and whether we win or lose, it's pretty rare for us to run out of cards. I think you're doing something wrong.

You mentioned again chosing to treat disease instead of gather cures...
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but can you please confirm for me that you understand that you MUST gather the four cures?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
Another question though.
There are 5 pawn and 5 role cards. But the game are meant for 4 players.??
Have anybody tried to play with 5 players.?


The expansion, Pandemic: On the Brink allows playing with 5 players. The only major difference is that you will have a few more special event cards in the deck. In the expansion, you use 2 special events per player, instead of only the 5 included in the base game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Rainbow Snake wrote:
denmyos wrote:

It was possible for use to treat disease, with out using any cards to fly. Though we send the medic out to treat disease with more than one cube.

So, if you weren't using cards for cures, and weren't using them to fly or make research stations, what did you do with the all the cards? You can't hold more than 7.

denmyos wrote:

I was hoping for some nail bitting thinking, "ohh my god, we need to do this fast or the whole world will die"
I only got " ooh my god, we need to do this fast or we will run out of cards..." big deal!!
did'nt get much kick out of that.

It's pretty nailbiting when I've played Pandemic with all sorts of different players, and whether we win or lose, it's pretty rare for us to run out of cards. I think you're doing something wrong.

You mentioned again chosing to treat disease instead of gather cures...
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but can you please confirm for me that you understand that you MUST gather the four cures?


Yes i know i must gather 4 cures, but i was hoping to see the virus spreading like wild fire, if we didn't get the cures in time. But nothing happends, yes we ran out of cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Ok, had my third game of pandemic, at work Yes im lucky.!!

We had a 4 player game, but still no outbreak.
BUT we won this time, it game down to the last 3 cards in the player stack. Which one card was a epidemic card.

They were all non-gamers, but luckily one of them was a good strategist and was very invold in the game, planning ahead, read the rules to make sure we did it by the book.

So over all it was a good game, if you have the right group of people.

But still no outbreak!!?




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
Yes i know i must gather 4 cures, but i was hoping to see the virus spreading like wild fire, if we didn't get the cures in time. But nothing happends, yes we ran out of cards.

Like someone suggested earlier, the stack of user cards represents "the time the world has left". Perhaps you could regard the stack as the dwindling population of Earth - cubes sitting in a city aren't static - they're plagues killing off more and more people.

Or maybe the cards repesent the shrinking budget for the CDC after which you can no longer afford to fight the diseases anymore, but must hide in some isolated commune waiting for the end of the world.

It's a "timed" game - there is a burning fuse that is going to go off if you don't finish in time.

denmyos wrote:
Ok, had my third game of pandemic, at work Yes im lucky.!!

We had a 4 player game, but still no outbreak.

Congrats on winning! But no outbreaks at all sounds odd. Sometimes I get only a few outbreaks, but never seeing an outbreak over multiple games is odd. Have you checked the list of common mistakes? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/300287/common-mistakes

I assume you start the game with 18 disease cubes already on in play? And every time you get an Epidemic, you place the already drawn Infection cards back *on top* of the infection pile?
Do some of your cities get to 3 cubes before you treat them?

It would be interesting to see some photos of your games, you know what they say about "a picture is a thousand words" ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Winning the game requires a nice balance of treating cubes and pursuing cures. Treating cubes requires efficient movement to problem areas, and many actions spent on removing cubes. Pursuing cures requires cooperation and logistics for arranging a card exchange, as well as the ability to efficiently reach research stations.

Focus too much on the former, and the cards will run out. Focus too much on the latter, and you will hit too many outbreaks before you find all of the cures.

It sounds like your problem is the former. In fact, getting zero outbreaks on Beginner is not surprising at all in these circumstances (the handful of games I've played on Beginner since 'learning' the game have all involved no or almost no outbreaks). On normal, getting no outbreaks is lucky, but not unheard of, especially if you are overzealous in treating cubes.

Keep the difficulty where it is at, and try to adjust your strategy to deal with the issues you face (running out of cards before finding the cure). Once you can win consistently, then consider raising the difficulty.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of this latest zero-outbreak win described above, since the 4th epidemic was at the very bottom of the deck, it was as if there were only 3 in the deck instead of 4, which would certainly help.

I haven't played enough to know how unusual it would be to have no outbreaks at all. It is certainly worth checking for common mistakes. Our first "easy win" was due to not remembering all the restrictions on trading cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.