Hide
5 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The advantage of building last rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
Our group plays predominantly 5- and 6-player games, and I've noticed there's a significant advantage to being the last person to build your first building. This enables you to commit to an area only after everyone else has, so you know exactly who you'll be competing with for space. Given how difficult it is to "claim" a section of the map, it's not like the other players can effectively block you off; first-mover on the board is not a significant advantage.

Plus, in six-player games the last builder often has #13, the first clean power plant, which, depending on the resource market, can serve you in good stead for most of the game. Last time I played I only replaced it in the very last round! Meanwhile, everyone else has been concerning themselves with going with the lowest-tech plant they can stomach to "improve" their turn order, when everyone's going to be buying more plants and cities in the second turn anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Derakon wrote:
Our group plays predominantly 5- and 6-player games, and I've noticed there's a significant advantage to being the last person to build your first building. This enables you to commit to an area only after everyone else has, so you know exactly who you'll be competing with for space. Given how difficult it is to "claim" a section of the map, it's not like the other players can effectively block you off; first-mover on the board is not a significant advantage.

Plus, in six-player games the last builder often has #13, the first clean power plant, which, depending on the resource market, can serve you in good stead for most of the game. Last time I played I only replaced it in the very last round! Meanwhile, everyone else has been concerning themselves with going with the lowest-tech plant they can stomach to "improve" their turn order, when everyone's going to be buying more plants and cities in the second turn anyway.

The biggest advantage for buying the lowest power plant in the first round is, that you can buy your second power plant last and this is normally very good in the 5 or 6 player game (and in turn 2 you can still buy resources first)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
friedemann wrote:
The biggest advantage for buying the lowest power plant in the first round is, that you can buy your second power plant last and this is normally very good in the 5 or 6 player game (and in turn 2 you can still buy resources first)

Yes, but as the players get better, on the meaner maps (such as France) building the first house becomes a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
friedemann wrote:

Yes, but as the players get better, on the meaner maps (such as France) building the first house becomes a disadvantage.

Correct, but this keeps the players with fewer cities from being able to stay there the whole game. They have to jump ahead at certain points and then the order is flipped, potentially. Also, if you built last, the good spots may be gone already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3 player US map (both east coast + north US) and I pretty much stayed in 1st for city count and my plant # for the whole game. In the last round we had a bidding war over a plant that could power 7. It got to 60 so I let him have it and I took something that could power 6 at the price I wanted it (36). Then I built 3 cities to get to 17 cities and the guy who got the 7 plant had only about $14 left and I had about 50.

I got hosed a couple times on city placement but the phases kept triggering at the right moment for me.

I was very conservative with resources. I never bought more than I needed to power my plants and sometimes I didn't even use the resources to power my cities because I would have spent $4 to earn only $10 or $9 more, effectively getting only $6 or $5 profit.

Also, I was the only person to get nuclear (powering 5 cities) and it stayed at $7 the whole game. Going last in buying resources doesn't matter when nobody wants your resource. :)

The coal and oil mattered but it worked out well enough for me. Prices never got too bad.

So, going last to buy cities can be a bummer sometimes, but it can be overcome if you work it right. Getting trapped in before phase 2 is usually the biggest issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.