Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Manns
United States
Cape Coral
FL
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just received four games from CoolStuff!!!
What a great game website!!! Its a Florida based company and since I live in Florida I received my order in just two days!!! Yay!!!
I always do a fair amount of research when I consider adding a game to my collection..since my space is limited.
The four games I bought are:
Glen More....I love tile laying games.
Egizia.....I love the theme and worker placement games.
Through the Desert....I love the theme and Knizia"s games in general.
Puerto Rico.....Simply cause so many people love it and have said so many great things, and because of it's ratings here.

I tried to get four new games that are quite different from one another. I am very excited to play them.
Did I pick some good games? What do you consider the best of the bunch? Thanks
Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Puerto Rico for me... no contest. Even though we played it to death... it still comes out.

Glen More....is great, but it feels like solitaire for the most part, and has already lost it's new car smell for us.
Egizia.... is great, but I wouldn't choose it over Puerto Rico.
Through the Desert....is good, but never comes out anymore.

Puerto Rico is just a richer game experience to me, and more elegant than the others...except TtD which is a simple and elegant game, but not nearly as deep as PR.

You should enjoy them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
ericbjohnson wrote:

+1
+1 More

Puerto Rico is my favorite game and I am really enjoying Glen More right now. One play of Egizia was really good. I've not played Through the Desert, but it seems like a good abstract game. I think you've picked up a nice lot of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PR here as well. I enjoy Egizia, but I found all the fiddly rules tucked in a poorly written rule book hard to make me want to come back, so I traded it away after too many "oh yeah, we played that wrong..." moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
PR here as well. I enjoy Egizia, but I found all the fiddly rules tucked in a poorly written rule book hard to make me want to come back, so I traded it away after too many "oh yeah, we played that wrong..." moments.

Hmmm... We didn't have that problem with Egizia. I felt the rule book was pretty straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Through The Desert is better than the rest by about four or five orders of magnitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Through The Desert is better than the rest by about four or five orders of magnitude.

So, Puerto Rico is a .00085 or .000085? I'm curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

Well that would depend on whether the orders of magnitude were base-ten, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
ericbjohnson wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

Well that would depend on whether the orders of magnitude were base-ten, I suppose.

That was my assumption. But, I am no mathematician. I do like TtD though... just not as much as PR... and the difference is only by a few percentage points IMB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is the only one listed I have played, and it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you mentioned, I have only played (and I own) Puerto Rico and Through the Desert. Through the Desert is easier to learn and is basically an abstract game with a camel theme . . . they could have changed the artwork and called it THROUGH THE GALAXY, THROUGH THE OCEAN, THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS or THROUGH THE ABSTRACT LAND OF VICTORY POINTS. But it's an interesting and enjoyable game and I'm glad I bought it. Puerto Rico is more complex (but not overly complex) and is more true to its theme. I think this is the better of the two games. But I enjoy both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good group of games but i also would have to vote for Puerto Rico.

I also really have enjoyed Glen More.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let everyone make you think the rest of the games are not good. Yes, Puerto Rico is great, but that doesn't mean that the other games aren't any good, too.

I own Glen More because I also love tile-laying games and think it's strategic. It has a great turn order mechanic.

I own Egizia because I also love worker placement games. The theme is good and it has a clever "worker placing" twist. The rules are neither here nor there for me, but I like the game. I also like games in which each player has their own "player board" in some way.

I own Puerto Rico because I first played it and liked it on its own merits and not because of the ratings or popular word of mouth. Conversely, I have played yet will never own Agricola because it's not my style.

I've never played Through the Desert, but it is doted upon here by enough people. It's one of Knizia's better-ish games.

In general, I think your games are great. You should have a good time. As long as you know your own tastes and preferences, you should be fine. Happy gaming!

Know thyself.

Kevin
"The Passionate Yet Judicious Gamer"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Manns
United States
Cape Coral
FL
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the comments everyone.
It appears that I did a very good job selecting four games.
I get the feeling everyone who has commented believes they are very good games in their own right.
I am certainly not surprised that most picked "Puerto Rico" out of the group. It seems very few games have the overall reputation that this game has. I have noticed very very few negative comments on BGG about "Puerto Rico."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you guess which I think is the best...

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico

But you also nabbed my favorite abstract in Through the Desert.

Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Fudus
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ive only played puerto rico and through the desert , I really like them both, but from what I've read they are all great games.

My opinion is that best games are subjective. The BGG is fantastic for learning about games and getting imput but when it comes down to it, what's really important, is what you like.

Everyone has different tastes, for every 10 on a rating someone gave the same game a 1. In my opinion you bought great games, the best game is the one you like best....For me it's puerto rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 = Puerto Rico for me

Glen More is a great tile-laying, relatively quick game and I enjoyed my one play of Egizia. Still want to play Through the Desert one of these days as I've heard good things about it as an abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.