Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The published rules made two changes to the creator's original rules, which were originally as follows:
1. Playing on the opponent's side of a hop is only allowed when you have played all cards on your own side of that hop.
2. No 3 for 1 trades.

Most players seem to agree on the first point, that the creator's original rule is better than the published rules. But what about the second rule change? Is the game better with or without 3 for 1 trades? How 3 for 1 trades work can be confusing, so see my attempt at clarifying the mechanics in this article:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/474030

But let's move from the how to the why - Is the game better with or without 3 for 1 changes? Particularly because at times they are recursive (e.g. "I can win a red trophy by using a 3 for 1 trade of yellow cubes, but that will enable my opponent to win the green trophy by using a 3 for 1 trade of red cubes!")

The 3 for 1 trade rule seems to enable more strategic considerations because of this, but I haven't yet been able to figure out what difference it really makes to the outcome of a game. At present my guess is that playing with the 3 for 1 trades rule will have two main results:
1. It leads to quicker games and speeds up the outcome.
2. It enables the player who is behind to come back and have a chance of winning.

However, usually the recursive effect of 3 for 1 trades seems to cancel out its usefulness. i.e. often it is not worth making a 3 for 1 trade to win a trophy, because then your opponent can use his extra cubes of that colour to make a 3 for 1 trade to win another trophy himself!

What do other players think about this rule, and what difference it actually makes to the game in practice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:3 for 1 trades: how does it affect the outcome of the game?
EndersGame (#482126),

I've only played the designers rules once, but from that one time it seems that the publishers changed the rules to make the game quicker... both playing on either side and 3-1 trades seem to speed the game up.

I would have to play it with designer rules a couple more times to truly figure out the stategy affects of the 3-1 rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 3:1 trade-in rule causes a snowball effect, often times ending a game rather abruptly. To me this is very anti-climactic. You seem to work so hard for the trophies, then all of a sudden at the end they pour in. I NEVER play the 3:1 rule.

I also play the other variant which is listed above. The regular rules stating you can play on either your own or your opponent's side at anytime basically ruins the game making much less tense and less strategic. In essence, any bad card you get, you play on your opponent's side; any good card, play on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Howell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will play without the 3 to 1 rule. Partly because it seems as others have said to end the game quickly and also have a recursive effect of bouncing back and forth and ending the game abruptly.

Question here, I may have missed it, when you do the 3 for 1 trade do you physically grab a cube out of the bag of the color you are trading for or do just use the 3 cubes to represent it?

If you were forced to trade for something that is left in the bag if may have a different effect on the end, just a thought depending on how the 3 for 1 is supposed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played, and believe it to be correct...

You do NOT switch the cubes.. you just count them as if they were the color you are switching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nichols
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 3 for 1 trades: how does it affect the outcome of the ga
What I don't understand is that if you don't play WITH the 3 for 1 rule, then what happens on all those hops that have cubes of trophies already claimed? Don't those hops become worthless? What's the point of even competing on those hops if you can't use the 3 for 1 ability?

Seems that the 3 for 1 rule not only speeds up the game but actually creates strategy as to what to compete for of on hops with only cubes of claimed trophies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.