MARNE
flag msg tools
Braxton BRAGG, Army of Tennessee
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm astonished by these ratings :
_Bragg has "0". He wasn't a good tactician...and his front assaults were very bloody ones. But Polk was a worst one...coming from Colombus he wasn't more efficient after no serious combat and he has "1".
_Bragg's brigades, which were better trained, have a morale ratings from B to C, worst than Polk's ones again...which were quite undisciplined ones...qualified as mobs more than brigades...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bragg led his men into Kentucky, then left to the dismay of his men. He then was beaten at Stones River. By the time his men were fighting at Shiloh they were demoralized, and really "were against" Bragg, more than "for" the Confederacy.

Even going back to the Mexican American War, Bragg was typically despised by his own troops and HQ staff. There were those, such as Nathan B. Forrest who said as much to his face, before swearing that he would never take another order from him...and didn't.

It is no surprise that Bragg's rating, and his men, had low ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if the rating is appropriate or not, but as a practical game matter, the classic CWB tactic is to put your "0" commanders on the front. Have them personally lead attacks. He'll die in time, and be replaced by a better commander. Such a common tactic that one of the other games in the series (can't remember which) has a "you can't kill McClellan" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert lindsay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
[q="tyvek"]Bragg led his men into Kentucky, then left to the dismay of his men. He then was beaten at Stones River. By the time his men were fighting at Shiloh they were demoralized, and really "were against" Bragg, more than "for" the Confederacy.

Actually no, Bragg FIRST lost at Shiloh, Then at Perryville, Then Stones River...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JACOB Anthony
France
VERZENAY
MARNE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
tyvek wrote:
Bragg led his men into Kentucky, then left to the dismay of his men. He then was beaten at Stones River. By the time his men were fighting at Shiloh they were demoralized, and really "were against" Bragg, more than "for" the Confederacy.

Even going back to the Mexican American War, Bragg was typically despised by his own troops and HQ staff. There were those, such as Nathan B. Forrest who said as much to his face, before swearing that he would never take another order from him...and didn't.

It is no surprise that Bragg's rating, and his men, had low ratings.

No, Bragg was coming from Pensacola and Mobile, without any action before and he was only Corps Commander (2nd Corps). His troops were better trained than anyone else...and he was acclaimed by people on the way as his reputation after mexican war was great.
As I said he wasn't a good tactician...but I think he should have "1" and Polk "0"...

The meeting with Forrest isn't quite sure...and Forrest certainly never said that as demonstrated by Judith Lee Hallock in "Braxton Bragg & Confederate Defeat". A lot of things have been said about Bragg...true ones and false ones. A common thing, for example, in autobiography.

That's a detail of course...but as I'm very fond of american civil war, I read a lot about western theater and now Shiloh.

Thanks for your replies !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, you're right. I stand corrected...blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.