Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a pretty neat board set up, and it has a bunch of lava at its heart. (I'm hoping to get some play out of all the new D&D lava-resistant characters, as well as the older lava-resistant guys.)

Anyone have any ideas that would it make it key for a figure to brave the lava? I've thought about putting important glyphs in there, or doing some sort of glyph-holding or capture the flag scenario, but I haven't really settled on anything yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remembered a scenario in the book where if you capture a certain glyph, you gain control of the lava guys. I've used that on my maps and it's pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkat wrote:
I thought I remembered a scenario in the book where if you capture a certain glyph, you gain control of the lava guys. I've used that on my maps and it's pretty fun.

Yup, I don't have time to pull them out right now and check but it seems to me there were a couple of scenarios that came in Volcarren Wasteland which used the lava well. I think they were built around the Obsidian Guards, but the new guys ought to substitute in nicely.

I'd check the Maps and Scenarios forum over at HeroScapers.com, too. I bet they've got some good ideas for lava in the Battlefields of Valhalla series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experince, Glyphs is one of the most efective ways to make people go somewhere on a Heroscape map.
I´ve also used the "Volcarren trick" on many a custom map. Simply, have a Glyph of Brandar and a squad of neutral (not owned by any player)lava men. Whoever stands on the Glyph can take a turn with the lava men, instead of taking their own turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
I've got a pretty neat board set up, and it has a bunch of lava at its heart. (I'm hoping to get some play out of all the new D&D lava-resistant characters, as well as the older lava-resistant guys.)

Anyone have any ideas that would it make it key for a figure to brave the lava? I've thought about putting important glyphs in there, or doing some sort of glyph-holding or capture the flag scenario, but I haven't really settled on anything yet.

The easiest way is to make the lava the highest spots on the map. Glyphs also work, but I think you'll still find that it's better to abandon the glyph rather than chance the lava roll. You can get several rounds of use out of it without risking a roll. Another way to do it is by using lava in the start zones. It doesn't draw figures but it certainly gets a player's attention.

Lava is a difficult terrain to use well, I think. It's primary function on a map is as an accelerator. You want to place it in areas that you want figures to move through or past but not hold. It's great for preventing figures from camping in a certain place or for encouraging figures to move towards an opponent's figures. Placing a glyph on lava can also be effective in that regard as it encourages players to abandon the glyph. It also makes lava resistance a strategic power on those maps rather than a situational bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Hot Lava Death.

Survive it. Love it.

'nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:

Lava's cool because some (especially 1 hex sized) units can move around lava pretty easily where larger units may have more difficulty avoiding Lava pools. Jotun the Giant loves to throw other figures into the lava! Standing in lava at the end of a turn causes DEATH! The chances of survival are pretty slim (5%). Perhaps the scenario offers a choice where jumping off the edge of a short cliff into lava is preferable to the alternative (OMG!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like putting lava as the high ground and/or on the shortest path through the map. That way players risk lava damage for the height advantage or the shortcut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.