Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Our regular gaming group has not ever played Agricola (shameful, I know), despite some of us playing games for more than 30 years, so we dove in last night as our "main" game (after a hilarious warm up round of Saboteur).

Yes we made many (many) rule mistakes (the owner/explainer had not done a thorough prep) and played the family version so the winner only had 14 points in the end. I'm told 40 isn't unusual so we obviously did something terribly terrible wrong (see below).

We've started to better review the rules this morning which has lead to many exclamations across the office of "You mean resources keep piling up on those cards from round to round!" etc and hope to tackle a second game soon because two of us who consider ourselves darn fine gamers are still struggling with their feelings about one of BGG's top 10. Anyhow, my question ...

I've seen that Geoff Burkman has posted a number of sessions in cryptic shorthand and with obvious references intended for knowledgeable players, but are there any specific sessions that you can point me to that are from a newbie's view of the game?

Thanks in advance. Willing to try another few sessions of the game, even at the expense of putting the (arguably more fun) Endeavor and my tactical WW2 life-long fixation on hold for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryptic? Oh, man, back to the drawing board...blush

On a more serious note, check out some of MerricB's old reports, or the recent reports from jarviskj3. They're a bit more accessible than mine, I suspect. Also check into the many solo session reports, which tend to explain what's going on in more detail as well...

Beyond that, happy gaming and I look forward to when my own reports become less inscrutable for you!whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Siwanowicz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend this thread for rules nuances.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/332022/common-mistakes-w...

Keep trying! Endeavor and Agricola have a quite similar feel for me, you should find the game quite fun once it clicks. The real adventure starts when you throw occupations into the game.

Agricola keeps coming back to the table among my friends, mainly because no matter how you do there is always a feeling of having accomplished something.

I will mention one thing: the spaces with accumulated goods get better over time, while other spaces (for example "take 1 grain") stay the same. I recommend that you keep watch on how many turns' worth of resources accumulated on the appropriate spaces. If there is only one turn's worth, the non-accumulative spaces are more powerful. If there are several turns worth of recources on a space (6 wood, 3 clay, or the like), that will probably be a space worth fighting over. This phenomenon causes "take 1 grain" and "plow a field" to be often taken in round 1 in our games, while the action spaces with the resources are often the actions chosen in round 2, when resources build up. To take full advantage of this, try to take starting player on turns the resource accumulations are low (like turn 1), so that on the following turn, when they are higher, you will have first pick of that delicious 6 wood stack.

Other than that, it takes a lot of games to learn the intricacies of the game (with occupations), so just focus on feeding your family, building a room and growing your family before the second harvest, and remember that it's not who has most points, it's whose farm is most beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JanSiwanowicz wrote:
I will mention one thing: the spaces with accumulated goods get better over time, while other spaces (for example "take 1 grain") stay the same. I recommend that you keep watch on how many turns' worth of resources accumulated on the appropriate spaces. If there is only one turn's worth, the non-accumulative spaces are more powerful. If there are several turns worth of recources on a space (6 wood, 3 clay, or the like), that will probably be a space worth fighting over. This phenomenon causes "take 1 grain" and "plow a field" to be often taken in round 1 in our games, while the action spaces with the resources are often the actions chosen in round 2, when resources build up. To take full advantage of this, try to take starting player on turns the resource accumulations are low (like turn 1), so that on the following turn, when they are higher, you will have first pick of that delicious 6 wood stack.

Unless of course the other players are savey to your plans and grab the 3 wood to prevent you getting the 6 devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
I would download and listen to the How to play podcast by Ryan Sturm on this with the game in front of you, honestly you will soon laugh at your errors, but forgetting to restock resources seems to be a common one and certainly makes it harder!

Or this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy to do with new games, just keep giving it time, you'll get it, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.