Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Cards, Sleeves, and Rubber Bands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott aka SuperRadScott aka
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Scott and I'm a sleever.

I don't mind that fact. In fact, I prefer it. My gaming group involve a handful of non-gamers (becoming gamers because of my persistence) and I relax a lot more knowing that the cards are relatively safe from less-than-ginger treatment.

Plus I've gotten pretty good at shuffling sleeved cards, and even sort of like the feel of it.

Now I know that rubber banding cards is a big no-no around these parts, but what if they are in sleeves, so long as the rubber bands aren't asphyxiating the cards in the process?

Any thoughts or experiences to share?


Poll
Cards are sleeved, now what?
Bag 'em.
Band 'em.
Wrap 'em.
Let 'em roam free in the box.
No sleeves. People like you are ruining our hobby!
      70 answers
Poll created by Huggable Zombie
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually wrap our cards even with sleeves, with Hugo's Amazing tape (2" wide).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You left out a choice: Box 'em. While I personally have neither the technology, the skill, the time, nor the patience to make tuckboxes for all my cards, I nonetheless regard this as an ideal solution. Bagging may still allow sloshing about, wrapping or banding may squash the cards/sleeves, and letting them roam free like antelope on the Serengeti gives me the horrors, but tuckboxes are both organizational and protective, and can be customized for compatibility with pretty much anything except that devil's handicraft, the box insert.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Bailey
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ellephai wrote:
You left out a choice: Box 'em.


That was my first thought. If I care enough to sleeve the cards, then I care enough to get a card box or Plano box to house them in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
Avatar
mb
Fully sleeved then comes the Hugo's Amazing Tape... occasionally I have a tuck box instead but usually the Tape.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, rubber band is a no-no to everything, even for sleeved cards. I find that it will crinkle my sleeves, especially if there's an excess of space between card and sleeve, even the littlest one.

So I put them in a deck box, luckily I managed to find a shop that sells cheap.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugo's +1
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for Hugo's Amazing Tape. I prefer to put my cards in bags, but for some games that means they won't fit as well back in the box. For those cases I use Hugo's Amazing Tape.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use rubber bands for many games. Too old to care.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott aka SuperRadScott aka
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
Another vote for Hugo's Amazing Tape. I prefer to put my cards in bags, but for some games that means they won't fit as well back in the box. For those cases I use Hugo's Amazing Tape.


Any good suggestions of where to pick up Hugo's on the cheap and that
DOESN'T have to be part of a $75-100 order to not get reamed on shipping?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott aka SuperRadScott aka
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuyoi Momonga wrote:
ellephai wrote:
You left out a choice: Box 'em.


That was my first thought. If I care enough to sleeve the cards, then I care enough to get a card box or Plano box to house them in.


This brings up a good side-issue. I'd box all my cards given if possible, but I try to keep the inserts of my games for two reasons: 1) potential trade in the future; and more importantly 2) I store a lot of my games vertically and don't want warping or too much jostling. Any suggestions of how to use Plano boxes or others while being able to still store vertically with impunity?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards for my collectible minis games like D&D Miniatures and Star Wars Miniatures I sleeve and then box. I never bothered with sleeves for my Magic:tG cards because it made it so awkward to play with them, but I might have reconsidered the matter by now if I were I still playing regularly.

For my non-collectible games, it's a case by case situation. Some I sleeve, particularly if they're starting to look worn. Other games don't seem to need it. Nearly all decks get put in ziplock bags though as I hate the idea of them just sliding around loose in the box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huggable Zombie wrote:
Any good suggestions of where to pick up Hugo's on the cheap and that DOESN'T have to be part of a $75-100 order to not get reamed on shipping?


Just buy it online from Hugo's. I don't remember what the shipping was, but it wasn't terrible. And you can buy a bunch at once and it'll last a long time. Alternatively, I hear it can be found in sewing/fabric stores.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Huggable Zombie wrote:
monkeyboy157 wrote:
Another vote for Hugo's Amazing Tape. I prefer to put my cards in bags, but for some games that means they won't fit as well back in the box. For those cases I use Hugo's Amazing Tape.


Any good suggestions of where to pick up Hugo's on the cheap and that
DOESN'T have to be part of a $75-100 order to not get reamed on shipping?


I just ordered straight from their website. I only got one roll and I don't foresee using it all for another 10 years. I also don't buy a ton of card games and like I said I try to bag them as much as possible anyway. I don't remember what the shipping was, but probably a lot better than trying to buy it from a board game site that has flat shipping of $9.

Hugo's Amazing Tape
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huggable Zombie wrote:
Hi, my name is Scott and I'm a sleever.

I don't mind that fact. In fact, I prefer it. My gaming group involve a handful of non-gamers (becoming gamers because of my persistence) and I relax a lot more knowing that the cards are relatively safe from less-than-ginger treatment.

.

Now I know that rubber banding cards is a big no-no around these parts, but what if they are in sleeves, so long as the rubber bands aren't asphyxiating the cards in the process?


I use sleeves on some of my more "precious games" or those that get played more often. It does keep body oils and such from ruining the cards (although I hear this isn't too bad, especially on games you don't play often), but in some groups where people eat greasy, saucey, and oily foods and don't really wipe up before handling cards. Also, when a card falls on the floor, many people (even gamers) will use their foot to drag the card closer to them so they can bend down and pick it up.

.

As for the rubber bands, an alternative is to go a ladies' accessory store, and get those hair braids. They're essentially elastic, but a velvet covering over them, so that covering I'm told keeps cards from being damaged that traditional rubber bands would.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
As for the rubber bands, an alternative is to go a ladies' accessory store, and get those hair braids. They're essentially elastic, but a velvet covering over them, so that covering I'm told keeps cards from being damaged that traditional rubber bands would.


This sounds like a workable idea, and you don't need to go to any special store. Any drugstore, and most grocery stores, will have a hair-accessories section with likely a good array of the various sorts of covered elastics you have in mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.