Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before adding trading to the game, I'd suggest trying a different strategy - if everyone in your group is waiting to use their cash, jump in early & open the extra enclosure. Go for the quick turnaround on the 4 space enclosure - where buying the last animal you need from another player is "free" (2 to buy the animal, 2 right back to you from the bonus).

Even better, try going to zooloretto.com & printing up some of the simple expansions (I'd suggest the Petting Zoo & the Extra Enclosures) and see what happens when you add those to the game.

I've blogged about Zooloretto & expansions recently - check it out at http://akapastorguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/renovating-your-zoo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark. Try spicing it up with expansions perhaps or try denying everyone those coins so no-one but you can get a fourth enclosure!

Trading would remove a lot of the tension from this game. Zooloretto is basically a game of chicken, correcting your "mistakes" should be costly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viol8r wrote:
Anyway, I am more interested in any thoughts about an in game trading variant, as a money action. Maybe I just have to try it first.

More specifically, then - I think adding trading is a bad idea. I think it will reduce rather than increase the tension, as the decisions you have to make will now be along the lines of "I need to figure out the potential score of the person I'm trading with to see which one of us is getting the better deal" and "if I make this trade, will this give him more points relative to me." Those are both AP-inducing, math-y ways to min-max points... and that's not the kind of game I enjoy.

Worse yet, it takes a perfectly good game which does a splendid job of moving along at a nice clip & threatens to slow it to a crawl through molasses.

You're welcome to try it - and I'll be interested to hear what happens - but I won't be doing that myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that trading will break the game. Most of the strategy revolves around trying to get a "good truck" for you, while distributing animals so that your opponents all get "bad trucks" - ie, put the flamingos on two different trucks so that Sue can't fill her enclosure, make sure to combine the panda that Ella wants with the chimp that John wants so that one of them will get a useless animal and the other will miss out, etc. With trading, suddenly all animals become desirable because you can either put them in an enclosure, or trade them away to somebody who wants them. Thus the strategy is mostly gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this variant has some potential if it's done within reason. To keep things simple, I recommend trading only from your barn. Trading from enclosures will very quickly turn this into a game of long-winded, complicated negotiations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IF (and that's a big "if") you are going to try this, I'd suggest limiting trades per player. Maybe 2 or 3 per game... make it another scarce resource that you have to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make trading cost each of the involved parties 1 coin each. Self-correcting resource management!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.