Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Low
United States
Burke
VA - Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen people playing WHF and 40k at stores and was always curious. very recently I played the computer game retribution and got even more so. But after seeing the cost involved with this game, and what people say about the capricious nature of GW (changing rules on a whim, nerfing entire armies, not to mention constanly updating requiring even more purchases) I'm kind of glad I never got involved.

that being said it does look interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rake
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
The cost can be high, but find a group of friends, and play with Proxy models.

Ignore the "nerfs" they can all be worked around with a little tactics and strategy.

Constantly updating is good. Imagine if things weren't updated, there would be no change, or challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pow
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Steve SMASH!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo... is this a post to reaffirm that you've made the right choice?

I've played 40k, off and on, since early in 3rd edition, and I have to say, I haven't regretted it (although I don't play nearly as much as I used to).

The background/universe is fantastic, and with the right group of guys, you'll never have more fun shooting xenos scum in the 41st millenium than with Warhammer 40K.

Is it expensive? It can be. If you're interested in either Space Marines or Orks, you'll actually find the entry cost to be pretty reasonable (using ebay and the Assault on Black Reach box). If you're not... well.. ebay sometimes helps a lot here.

Changing rules on a whim? Sure- they are on the 5th edition of the game, and the 6th edition looks to be coming in another year or so. It's very rare that the core mechanics change, however (It's been move/shoot/assault since 3rd, and possibly before). Some rules do change from edition to edition, but they generally don't change the overall feel of the game (although they have made the game more mech-centric, which most people view to be a positive thing).

Nerfing entire armies... That's partially true, but partially not. Obviouly Necrons got screwed by 5th edition somewhat, but some people do very well with them still (not like, winning huge tournaments, but certainly being competitive). Yet, the core armies are almost always 'competitive' throughtout the process, and even the less common armies get great upgrades every couple of years. You learn to look forward to it. Necrons are getting updated either this year or next. Imagine how exciting that is to those of us who picked up Necrons models when they first came out (I'm talking the metal ones, pre-codex!).

The updates and purchasing does become frustrating, but there's reasons why that's not so bad. If you have an army, say Space Marines, and you build it to 2000 points, and you're happy with it, you'll not need to spend another cent on the army for years. Years and years. When a new army book comes out, you'll have a few units that may not be as good, and you may want to get the 'new hotness', but you can make your own (convert the miniatures, I mean) and save a buttload of money. The best part? You'll have unique, characterful miniatures, and it didn't cost you much.

Seriously- If you've never tried 40K, and you have even some interest- go try it out. You can walk into a Games Workshop, they'll happily teach you the core rules (for free), and you can see how you feel about it. They'll try to sell you stuff, of course, but if you find yourself loving it, you can just walk out of the store, hit up ebay, and get started with the game for probably the same cost you would some of these other boardgames floating around. If you like the background, think that painting and converting your own miniatures would be a blast, and heck, be part of a HUGE community (there are over a thousand 40K blogs!) then why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started 40K twelve months ago and have not regretted it. Up until today I had three armires (Orks, Necrons and Space Wolves), but as of lunch time today I now have four as I've just bought the Space Marine Battleforce.

One thing to remember about 40K is that it is not just a game (a great game IMHO) but also a hobby. Modelling and painting is part of it, but not essential I might add. I don't have problems playing against unpainted models. And sure there are some jerks in GW stores, but you'll find jerks everywhere, just ignore them.

As for the cost, price is subjective. I used to go 4x4 off-roading, that was £1000+ just for the car. I'm not defending GW prices, I think that Games Workshop models are on the higher end of the price range but certainly not extortionate compared to similar ranges on the market - especially when you consider all the options and extra bits you get in the GW sets. So a 1500pt army may cost you maybe around £150 but that's not much different to a single case of Star Wars miniatures (and that's not a complete set) or a couple of high end board games like Twilight Imperium or Rune Wars.

It is a game at the high end of the market, but I find it fun and that's what important really, having fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.