William Flickinger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure when this cropped up on their site, but I just wanted to make sure people knew it was there. Some people were very nervous when word came down that FFG no longer would have the license for the Warcraft games. The PDF files remained on the site, but you had to know the URL to find them. This new page should make it easy to verify that you have all the PDF files associated with their OOP games. Hopefully, it also means that the files will not disappear from the site anytime soon. Games featured so far: Doom: The Boardgame, WarCraft: The Board Game, World of Warcraft: The Boardgame, and World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game.

Publisher's Site Description "When you find a game you enjoy, it may remain a popular fixture in your library long after retailers have sold their very last copy. This page will collect some of the most requested rulebooks and support documents for FFG releases that are no longer in production."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_nrep.asp?eidm=19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
If you want these files, I would suggest making copies very, very quickly. I was told by Thaadd (of Fantasy Flight Games) that when they lost the Warcraft licence, they had to *throw out* all remaining inventory including any spare parts they had. As such, I suspect the existence of the files mentioned above are an oversight on FFG's part. (And so likely to disappear quickly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned too to grab everything when possible. I now grab stuff I don't even think I want but just in case a friend or someone on the internet needs a copy I'll have it.

I felt really peeved when they deep sixed all the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Ed. stuff from their site, especially the errata and forum discussions. I had left the country right before they announced their intentions and got back just in time to find it all gone. Took awhile but I think I got everything I wanted (file wise). Thankfully they only removed the items from the web pages and all the files were still on their servers (at least at the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. Scenarios like Jeff described above are, I think, the only real black marks on FFG's otherwise excellent support record. Nuking a game's page and forum when it goes OOP is extremely annoying, but at least it looks like they're making an effort now to maintain links to the most important support documents.

I can see the business reasons for not wanting to maintain old web pages for every game they once sold, so this seems like a reasonable compromise, in my opinion. Just remember to carry out your interesting and important discussions on the forum here instead of there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Crowson
United States
Eyota
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't that the games went out of print. FFG lost the Warcraft license from Blizzard and were (apparently) contractually obligated to remove all Warcraft references from their site.

The above post even mentions they had to throw out existing inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kneebyter wrote:
It wasn't that the games went out of print. FFG lost the Warcraft license from Blizzard and were (apparently) contractually obligated to remove all Warcraft references from their site.

Lost the license or went OOP, it's the same from a customer's standpoint. I'm just saying that I hope they continue to maintain this page for other games also. FFG have a history of purging their site of any references to games they don't sell anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kneebyter wrote:

Yup... I had contacted FFG a few months ago about getting some replacement cards for a World of Warcraft game that was missing most of the event cards (picked up from a thrift store). They were more than willing, but just needed the list of cards I needed. Unfortunately I got busy with other stuff and wasn't able to get the list to them. I sent an email after reading this thread and got my response. They can no longer fulfill my request due to losing the license. Now I've got a game that I can't use due to these missing cards. I also had picked up the expansions to the game from the FFG Thanksgiving sale, and can't use those either since I don't have a complete base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.