Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When can I exchange monetary vouchers in return for this particular good and/or service?

2) Is Cartwright in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Is it going to be a re-hash of 'A Touch of Evil'?

2) Is it going to be a re-hash of 'Last Night on Earth'?

3) Where do question marks go in relation to apostrophes? (See above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

1&2) Here is a link to a video where Jason covers the basics, and it looks AWESOME.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnLyB6AERFw

3) I think the go AFTER the question mark. At least that's what I always try to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Kerry
United States
North Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...based on that video alone this game looks amazing! I especially like the dual sided cards, very neat idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the first thing I thought of was that Flying Frog had bought the rights to:Thrilling Tales of Adventure!

I used to follow the development of it and it does sound similar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pike
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the adventurers (shown in the video) is Alexander Cartwright!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
1)3) Where do question marks go in relation to apostrophes? (See above).

Correct. You would only put them inside the quotes if they were part of the game name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

1&2) Here is a link to a video where Jason covers the basics, and it looks AWESOME.

3) I think the go AFTER the question mark. At least that's what I always try to do.

Cartwright is indeed in it. Alexander Cartwright. Check the video at :45.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
1)3) Where do question marks go in relation to apostrophes? (See above).

Correct. You would only put them inside the quotes if they were part of the game name.

Or if you were quoting a question like, "Where do question marks go in relation to apostrophes?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:
Actually the first thing I thought of was that Flying Frog had bought the rights to:Thrilling Tales of Adventure!

I had the same thought! Could the market handle two such similar games (asks the guy who plays a lot of similar wargames, ha-ha)? I think so!

I'll be getting this game when it hits the shelves.

Take care,
Hil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:

I thought the same thing, and they do look really similar. Actually, before I realized this was a Flying Frog game (the "The -insert movie-genre here- Game" subtitle should've been a giveaway), I thought that this was just Thrilling Tales finally coming to market, but with a new name.

From what I remember of Thrilling Tales of Adventure, Fortune and Glory would appear to be a more stream-lined, fast-paced game -- I'm just basing that on what I've seen so far and the estimated one-hour playtime. Having not played either of the games, my initial impression is that Fortune and Glory is to Thrilling Tales of Adventure as A Touch of Evil is to Arkham Horror -- so, you're covering a broad spectrum of possibilities, even though there are thematic and possible mechanical similarities. Can't wait to try them both out to see if that's accurate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK So I guess it isn't TTOA as Jason Lutes(the designer of TTOA) responded on that other site...

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!

Didn't see that coming. But, I guess it was only a matter of time.

Thanks for the support everyone -- Especially for a game that most of you haven't even played yet

I like Flying Frog, but I feel confident that TToA has F&G beat in the depth/narrative department. F&G has 6 villains, he says? TToA has... let me count... 27 Villains and 10 Arch Villains! Not that # of bad guys = depth, mind you. Let's see... In my game, the big bad guy is played by another player! But Barnes hates that mechanic. Dang, I can't catch a break.

MuMu's right about the delay -- it's taking a long time due to limited resources and a recursive playtest/prototype loop. I've been diligently trying to beat the thing into shape, but I'm just one guy who only has a couple of hours a night to tinker.

It is a little irksome to have someone steal my thematic thunder, but I guess I deserve it since I've been yammering on about it for 4+ years. I wonder if this is just desserts for having been so public about my process here and on BGG...

That map looks really sweet. I think I'm gonna be sick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
From what I remember of Thrilling Tales of Adventure, Fortune and Glory would appear to be a more stream-lined, fast-paced game -- I'm just basing that on what I've seen so far and the estimated one-hour playtime. Having not played either of the games, my initial impression is that Fortune and Glory is to Thrilling Tales of Adventure as A Touch of Evil is to Arkham Horror -- so, you're covering a broad spectrum of possibilities, even though there are thematic and possible mechanical similarities. Can't wait to try them both out to see if that's accurate!

That was my exact thought when I heard of this (i.e. TTOA/F&G, AH/ATOE). TTOA is much heavier and more involved than this seems to be. Not that F&G won't be fun for what it is, but I hope there's more actual game to it than Conquest of Planet Earth. That was pretty disappointing for me in terms of the gameplay. So far, this does look more interesting than that, so that's encouraging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:
OK So I guess it isn't TTOA as Jason Lutes(the designer of TTOA) responded on that other site...
Quote:

Thanks for the support everyone -- Especially for a game that most of you haven't even played yet

I like Flying Frog, but I feel confident that TToA has F&G beat in the depth/narrative department. F&G has 6 villains, he says? TToA has... let me count... 27 Villains and 10 Arch Villains! Not that # of bad guys = depth, mind you. Let's see... In my game, the big bad guy is played by another player! But Barnes hates that mechanic. Dang, I can't catch a break.

MuMu's right about the delay -- it's taking a long time due to limited resources and a recursive playtest/prototype loop. I've been diligently trying to beat the thing into shape, but I'm just one guy who only has a couple of hours a night to tinker.

It is a little irksome to have someone steal my thematic thunder, but I guess I deserve it since I've been yammering on about it for 4+ years. I wonder if this is just desserts for having been so public about my process here and on BGG...

TToA was actually my first thought as well. I hope he's not too deflated and carries on. There's TOTALLY room for two games in this genre. (I can't even think of another one... The Adventurers?). Even just the artwork will totally set his game apart. I'm guessing TToA isn't near ready anyway, so in another year the market will be primed for his entry in this genre.

I'm greatly looking forward to BOTH games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:

Quote:

I would guess that flying frog also probably designed most of theirs 4+ years ago as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a failed danger flip over to a turn-ending cliffhanger is a brilliant mechanic, in my opinion.
I'll be looking out for this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:

This is exactly what I thought as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

According to what I've been told by my old English profs and by the grad school thesis editor, in "American English" it goes inside; in "British English" it goes outside.

American: Is that your copy of "War of the Ring Deluxe?"

British: Is that your copy of "War of the Ring Deluxe"?

"Separated by a common language" in yet another way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Barry Kendall wrote:
According to what I've been told by my old English profs and by the grad school thesis editor, in "American English" it goes inside; in "British English" it goes outside.

American: Is that your copy of "War of the Ring Deluxe?"

British: Is that your copy of "War of the Ring Deluxe"?

I don't believe this is quite right.

As I understand it, Brits and Americans handle question marks and exclamation marks in the same way -- that is, based upon the sense of the sentence. THat is, we would both use the "American" example above -- or, alternatively,

I'm up for a game of "What's my Line?"

Where we differ is in the placement of periods and commas. The British ALSO have to consider the sense of the sentence when placing periods and commas within or without; Americans simplify things by ALWAYS putting them within the quotes.

British: Nathan Hale said "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country".

American: Nathan Hale said "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
BruceGee wrote:
As I understand it, Brits and Americans handle question marks and exclamation marks in the same way

Indeed. Question marks and exclamation marks are used in the same manner around the world in the English tongue.

BruceGee wrote:

British: Nathan Hale said "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country".

American: Nathan Hale said "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country."

In BrE: Nathan Hale said, "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country."

This assumes Hale had finished his sentence. Also, we'd have a comma immediately following the "said".

In three parts, one of the rules with regards to location of punctuation during quotation in the nation of origin of this method of locution we are using here is:

If the punctuation is part of the quotation it is written inside the quotation marks.
Only punctuation that is part of a real world quote should go inside the quotation; it is preferred that other punctuation go outside the quotation.
Faery tale and other fictional characters aren't real and so can't actually quote anything--and certainly a comma in a made up story can't cause any confusion (can it now?)--so punctuation can go inside quotes ascribed to them.

The latter two are style.

It could get a little confusing though. Consider this answer:
It said, "Would you like to play a game?"

Consider, which is proper as the question leading to that response:
a) Did it say, "Would you like to play a game"?
b) Did it say, "Would you like to play a game?"
c) Did it say, "Would you like to play a game?"?

BruceGee wrote:

I'm up for a game of "What's my Line?"

Also, as a title, "I'm up for a game of 'What's my Line?' " would tend to be italicised as, "I'm up for a game of What's my Line?"

We get into a situation of: Does the punctuation mark in the title count as punctuation for the sentence?

Typically, yes--unless quotations are involved. Then, as with the fiction/non-fiction usage noted above, it becomes a matter of style and not of grammar.

Given that quotation marks are only three or four centuries old I'm not surprised we haven't figured it out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny to read these comments on English grammar. I actually had a test a few weeks ago and brought up the same question. I got the question incorrect, but only because I had learned it incorrectly (lame 11th grade English teacher!)...

The correct American English way is to include punctuation inside the quotation marks if it is a comma or period. If it is an exclamation mark or question mark it is only included inside the quotations if the original quoted phrase contained it.

I'm curious about conflicting punctuation though, for example:

Did you know he yelled, "Where is the bacon!"?

Is that right or what? lol... *sigh* English grammar needs a standardized rulebook! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
*sigh* English grammar needs a standardized rulebook! shake

Yeah, sadly it has at least 3 in the US, they conflict, oh, and they change the rules every two to three years to reflect trends in 'common usage' that alter what is or is not "correct".

Also note, the quotation marks around the word correct above are Emphasis quotation marks, specifically Sarcasm, a usage the Grammar Text books and standards documents are currently equally divided about.

The English Language, Carefully assembled by three extremely drunk German Carpenters from nothing more than a Latin Dictionary and a French writing primer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion on grammar will bring you neither fortune, nor glory (you like what I did there?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask a simple "question" get a simple "?"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
Tiwaz Tyrsfist wrote:

oh, and they change the rules every two to three years to reflect trends in 'common usage' that alter what is or is not "correct".

Also note, the quotation marks around the word correct above are Emphasis quotation marks, specifically Sarcasm,

Those are also called scare quotes. They only time they're scary is when I see grown men use "air quotes" to represent them when speaking.

Stexe wrote:

I'm curious about conflicting punctuation though, for example:

Did you know he yelled, "Where is the bacon!"?

No I didn't; normally he yells nuqDaq yuch Dapol. This is even if he speaks at all and doesn't just push me and the kids out of the way as he grabs a beer from the fridge, turns on ESPN and grunts at pictures of dirty, sweaty men slapping each others' bums. I don't know why I stay with him.

Unless you're reading Terry Pratchett or A. A. Milne or one of those other writers who has their characters speak with punctuation and capitalisation the exclamation mark would be omitted in BrE. I think Americans would omit the exclamation mark as well--just as you would omit a normal full stop--and it is already noted that there is yelling involved.

Incidentally, what's the cause of the American fascination with bacon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.