Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You cannot withdraw the offer, you must wait for it to expire. Otherwise people would offer the same game to many people waiting for the first to bite and then cancelling the rest. You should only offer a game once until it expires. If you want to sweeten you offer, then just PM the person stating that or made another trade request with a comment of why. You cannot modify your trade request once it is someone else's hands.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan,

Best practice is to send a personal message to someone to offer trades and only use the trade feature to finalize offers once they are accepted by PM. A PM offer can be canceled at any time, just by sending another PM. That way, your game is not tied up while someone ignores you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sent you the following as a personal message:

Quote:
Hi Jan,

This is a personal message (or PM - same thing!). Under every geek's name there is a row of 5 blue icons. The second one from the left looks like an envelope. Click on it. A window will appear with a standard email format.

Put a subject in the subject line like "Trade for Wombats on Fire?" and then type a message. The geek in question will receive a message in his Inbox and respond (or ignore you) depending on his frequency of use and temperament.

Your inbox is the 7th item down the list in the left-hand column under "News".

Good luck!

Pierce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chemist wrote:
You cannot withdraw the offer, you must wait for it to expire. Otherwise people would offer the same game to many people waiting for the first to bite and then cancelling the rest. You should only offer a game once until it expires. If you want to sweeten you offer, then just PM the person stating that or made another trade request with a comment of why. You cannot modify your trade request once it is someone else's hands.

Hope this helps.

shakeyuk
Yeah, right.

Nothing personal, but if I subscribed to this point of view, I'd never get anything done, or I'd be sending out a whole bunch of good-only-for-a-day offers.

If I put a week-long offer in someone else's hands, I expect *some* sort of acknowledgement after a couple days, even if it's just a simple, "I'm thinking about it."

If I don't get such a response after day three
AND I look up that person's profile to find that they've logged on during that time. . .

then I offer the same product elsewhere.

Tough nutters if folks are gonna drag their heels on basic courtesy replies. I definitely think that the lack of the initiator's continued control over an initial offer is a bug in the system.

Having said that, the better route to take is, as others have made clear, to make your case for a trade in the PM venue, and then use the trade system to finalize everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reddy
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools

JD (chemists) says this
"You cannot withdraw the offer, you must wait for it to expire. Otherwise people would offer the same game to many people waiting for the first to bite and then cancelling the rest."

That's the biggest problem with the trading feature. The whole deal about not being able to withdraw a trade offer makes no sense. It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings when you withdraw a trade offer. Why is it a problem?

You should be able to send out several offers to people at once and the first one to accept gets the trade. That's how people trade things. That's how people sell things. That's how the BGG market place works. You don't have to contact each person interested in your El Grande game and offer it to them one at a time for 25 dollars giving each one three days to say yes or no. The first one to give you 25 dollars gets the game. It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. Once the game is sold the offer is withdrawn. Big deal.

There is no reason trading shouldn't work the same way. If I want to trade El Grande for Settlers, why should I care who gives me Settlers any more than I care who gives me the 25 dollars when I sell it? The first person willing to give me Settlers for El Grande, gets El Grande, just like the first person willing to give me 25 dollars would get it if I were selling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
But most of the traders here are really fast at shipping. I had two cases where the trade I offered was accepted and their game was shipped before I even knew it was accepted. Say three people accepted your trade request and all the sudden you have three copies of settlers at your door and now three people will be emailing wondering where their El Grande is. Are these trade forums legally binding . . . ie is it a contract? If so, I would make multiple offers at your own risk. El grande is hard enough to come by, I wouldn;t want to have to find three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reddy
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
If shipping fast is a problem don't give them your shipping address until after they've agreed to the trade. Also, I said it was a problem with the system. When a trade is accepted involving a particular game, any other trade offers involving that game should be removed from the system. It wouldn't be possible for two people to accept a trade for the same game. That's how trading works in fantasy league sports. I can offer Ken Griffey in trades to several teams at once. If someone agrees to a trade, the other trade offers involving Griffey go away. It makes sense and it is simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I agree that some sort of system like that would be nice, but since the system is as it is, I would use some patience and submit a feature request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.