Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Shryock
United States
Gillespie
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First session of Pandemic tonight. While playing a 4-person game, the game ended due to outbreaks by the end of the first round. I believe 2 epidemic cards were drawn. Anyone else have a similar experience? Even after this defeat we still played 2 more games. It will be in my collection for quite some time.

Curiously, do you reshuffle the infection cards if they are all discarded?

Do you play epidemic cards any differently if both cards you draw are epidemic cards?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be very unlikely that you would draw 2 epidemic cards so close together, at least in the first round of the game based on how the epidemic cards are seeded. You might want to re-read the rules.

From the rules:

8.Divide the remaining Player cards into a number of piles according to how difficult you’d like to make
the game. Make the piles as equal in size as is possible.
• For the Introductory Game, divide the cards into 4 piles. (Use this option if this is your first game.)
• For the Normal Game, divide the cards into 5 piles.
• For the Heroic Game, divide the cards into 6 piles. (Once you’ve mastered the Normal Game.)

9. Shuffle an Epidemic card into each pile. Stack the piles on top of each other to form the Player
Draw Pile. (If the piles aren’t exactly the same size, stack them so that the larger piles are
above the smaller piles.) Put any excess Epidemic cards back into the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shryock
United States
Gillespie
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously our stacks weren't exactly identical. I suppose we'll be sure next time to spread them out evenly. It was still fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alma1992 wrote:
Curiously, do you reshuffle the infection cards if they are all discarded?

I don't believe that has ever happened to me in a few dozen games. If I had to guess, I would say that yes, you should reshuffle. Do remember that you should be reshuffling the infection discard pile every time an Epidemic card comes up.

alma1992 wrote:
Do you play epidemic cards any differently if both cards you draw are epidemic cards?

The only real difference would be that, on the second Epidemic, there will be only one card in the infection discard pile (the city you just drew from the bottom of the infection draw deck for the Epidemic), so that card will be "shuffled" and placed on top of the infection draw deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alma1992 wrote:
Obviously our stacks weren't exactly identical. I suppose we'll be sure next time to spread them out evenly. It was still fun though.

In a 4 epidemic game, there should be at 12 cards in the 1st stack + 1 epidemic. So the earliest a double epidemic should be able to be hit is after turn 7, three quarters of the way through round 2 when you draw the final card of stack 1, and the top card of stack 2 together.

It's important to set things up evenly, and not just estimate. Otherwise, you make the game much more difficult, and more random. I highly recommend dealing out cards in 4 separate stacks, stack 1,2,3,4 back to 1,2 etc. The put an epidemic in each stack, then stack 3 on top of 4, 2 on 3, 1 onto 2, so that the larger stacks are at the top.

I believe your final question is impossible. There simply is no way to reach the end of the infection deck and need a shuffle, as it's impossible for there to be that many turns in between epidemics, which resets the deck back to full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
alma1992 wrote:

Yes, that would make a big difference, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
As far as the quickest game, you can look for a session report on here from someone who lost a game at the end of the first turn.

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I believe your final question is impossible. There simply is no way to reach the end of the infection deck and need a shuffle, as it's impossible for there to be that many turns in between epidemics, which resets the deck back to full.

Here's the math. The most cards you can go through between two epidemics is between the 2nd to last and last epidemic. It's between those two epidemics so you're drawing the most infection cards per turn. It would be if you drew the 2nd to last epidemic at this first possible opportunity, and the last epidemic as the last card of the player deck.

With 4 epidemics, each pile is 11-12 cards. You could have 12 turns between two epidemics, but the infection rate never gets to more than 3. So you could draw 36 cards.

5 epidemics doesn't give it more of a chance because after the 4th epidemic, you are still at an infection rate of 3, and the size of each stack is smaller.

With 6 epidemics, each pile is 7-8 cards. You could have 9 turns between the 5th and 6th epidemics, drawing 4 infection cards per turn. Still only 36 / 48.

How about with On the Brink? If you add the mutation option, it makes the deck a bit bigger and adds opportunities to draw cards with the mutation events. More players in the game also makes the deck bigger when playing with On the Brink.

In a 4-player game with 4 epidemics, each stack is 12-13 cards. You could have 14 turns between two epidemics. That would be 42 cards. But, additionally, if you draw both mutation cards from the infection deck, that adds 2 more infection cards from the bottom. Two of the mutation events from the player deck pull 1 and 3 cards from the bottom of the deck, respectively. So that would add up to 48 cards! Wait, but the infection deck with the mutation option has 50 cards, because the 2 mutation cards are added.

In a 4-player game with 6 epidemics, each stack is 8-9 cards. You could have 10 turns between epidemics, drawing 4 cards each, for a total of 40 cards. Adding the mutation stuff, up to 46 cards. Still no.

I'm not familiar with the other game types from On the Brink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hunchak
Canada
flag msg tools
morningstar wrote:
In a 4-player game with 4 epidemics, each stack is 12-13 cards. You could have 14 turns between two epidemics. That would be 42 cards. But, additionally, if you draw both mutation cards from the infection deck, that adds 2 more infection cards from the bottom. Two of the mutation events from the player deck pull 1 and 3 cards from the bottom of the deck, respectively. So that would add up to 48 cards! Wait, but the infection deck with the mutation option has 50 cards, because the 2 mutation cards are added.

There is a way to run through the deck. (virlent strain)
If you take the scenario above and add the virlent strain of if you draw a card of the virlent strain then you must draw an additional card, then more cards would be pulled resulting in running through the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.