Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

while preparing for my first VV experience (wink wink Piero!), I had an idea - would it not be nice to have the Movement points shown on each hex on the map? This way you would not need to reference the sheet from the rules (of course those who know it by heart dont need this )... And perhaps other modifiers as well (unless it would all be too cluttered), like Hindrance or Cover...

It could be small numbers for instance, separated with a "/" to show MPs for Infantry/Vehicles etc.

Or it could be a graphical representation, like small green dots for Infantry and blue dots for Vehicles in a corner of a hex.

I was inspired by Frontline General: San Pietro Infine and their renderings, such as the one below. Of course they list other modifiers etc. (because of a different system), but I must admit their representation is easy on the eye and also instantly shows you what you need to know...

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a really interesting idea. While it may slightly take away from the aesthetics, it would add even more ease of playability to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fiddled a little bit with my idea, check out the below folks...

There are actually two versions, the first one were the Xs and Os (HC wargamers know why ). But these I do not like that much...

The second version are the triangles and half-ellipses, which I like much better. True, I am no real artist and someone can surely do it better...

The possible issues I see:

1. the white is the only neutral colour, possibly besides grey, that can be used without giving the player too much colour to comprehend. I found no other combination that would suit more...

2. the bigger issue, or rather question is how to designate hexside terrain? This would either need a different (and additional) marking for +1 (hedges etc.), or it would be completely left out and at the player's discretion to check for these features and only full hex terrain would be marked... G2 is an example, as from the norhtern hexes you would pay 2 MPs, but from the southern ones only 1 MP.

3. how to mark the hexes into which certain units cannot enter? A red(-ish) mark for the respective group? Or a completely black one perhaps? Or an outlined with no filling? This has just now crossed my mind so it is not visualized below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say completely unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I think it´s a cool ideia, I have to agree with Mike here, unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx guys, that is my point - to get ideas about whether this is usefull at all, or too much unnecessary information...

Of course you can print out the Terrain sheet and use it instead of this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea, Joe. At this point, though, I wouldn't want to go back and change all of the maps on everyone. If this had come up at the beginning I probably would have used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Barry!

It is always tough to change things once they are established...
Never mind, maybe in the distant future When you adapt the system for something else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Thx Barry!

It is always tough to change things once they are established...
Never mind, maybe in the distant future When you adapt the system for something else...

Absolutely! There are two ideas I will likely implement later on, for a different setting -- this one, and the one suggested a LONG time ago that changes the armor/anti-tank values to modifiers, nixing the armor elimination chart. Both are really good suggestions that streamline play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed! If you streamline the two battle systems into one, you can (I think) also move to a "more realistic" way of fighting Tanks with Infantry... There is always the chance that you disable or destroy a tank even if you dont have heavy anti-tank weapons...

(Sorry if this is something already (partially) present, I am in the process of digesting the rules and so far in the current playtest I only used anti-infantry fire ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.