Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Card Sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Hunter
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
I have some FFG card sleeves which l am using with Combat Commander, they are very slippery, my cards just keep sliding off each other. Are there other makes just as good where the cards do not keep sliding off all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found most new sleeves do the slip-n-slide. They should 'roughen' up rather quickly once you start using them.

Some that I've found to be a bit less slick out of the package are any of the solid colors from Ultra Pro and the matte-finish sleeves from KMC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alboy01 wrote:
I have some FFG card sleeves which l am using with Combat Commander, they are very slippery, my cards just keep sliding off each other. Are there other makes just as good where the cards do not keep sliding off all the time.

The Swan Panasia sleeves do not slip. You can find them here:

http://www.vtes.de

Search for "Sleeves"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
alboy01 wrote:

Eat a big bag of smiths crisps , make sure you lick your fingers.
DO NOT WIPE YOUR FINGERS ON YOUR CLOTHES... GROSS! use the cards instead to collect the fat,starch, corn syrup,salt and other chemical crap in our foods and then you should be all set!! No more sliding!

Dam I am on a problem solving run today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Mayday games premium sleeves (dark green package). At first the cards do not stack on top of each other at all, but after a few plays this improves. I have small wooden boxes to hold the decks in place during play.

I certainly think if you value your investment, you need sleeves. I have already seen wear on some sleeves after 8 or so plays. Also of note, the CC Med cards are of horribly thin quality compared to the newer print run versions of Europe and Pacific. and if you do not sleeve them, then I can't see how they will last over time.

CC is a card driven game. If one card gets damaged, the game could be potentially ruined. I won't have my set without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took the time to strip all my CCP cards out of their protectors.

Looks awesome and was a very liberating experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
shager wrote:
I certainly think if you value your investment, you need sleeves. I have already seen wear on some sleeves after 8 or so plays.

Then your sleeves must wear faster than my cards!

I've got 27 plays logged, playing with unsleeved cards, and the cards still look fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear, hear! for unsleeved cards! Though mine are getting a bit...conditioned. I noticed today I've got a couple German cards that have nice bends! surprise Neither me or my regular opponents, however, have bothered to memorize which cards exactly they are. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The previously owned copy I just purchased came pre-sleeved, which I'm not going to complain about given what I've read about the amount of card churn in the game. I've never played with sleeved cards before, and unless they give me trouble shuffling (I love the riffle shuffle), I'll probably leave them as-is (even though I don't anticipate subjecting my copy to nearly as much play as some of the players here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a used first edition of this, and my cards showed they had been played. What I did was buy a replacement set, which I will get around to sleeving...eventually...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've worn out 2 Up Front decks in years gone by and I finally sleeved my CC cards after some 100+ games when the corner came off a German action card. I checked out the advice here and at Consimworld and got myself some Ultrapro sleeves. They are a nice size.

The sleeves were a bit fiddly for a while: making the cards slippery and shuffling awkward. They're worn in now though. The card decks don't slip over in untidy sprawls and I find I can riffle shuffle the way I did the unsleeved decks. Highly recommended.

Counters though, now that's a different matter. Some of my counters are very worn indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Counters though, now that's a different matter. Some of my counters are very worn indeed.

Perhaps in the future, people will also be sleeving counters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:

Perhaps in the future, people will also be sleeving counters...

Excellent idea!! Perhaps since I am also a card game player I would never think of playing any game without sleeving its cards, but the idea of sleeving counters is appealing. But seriously, I seriously thought about coating my counters with some good protecting varnish, my German counters were so worn after 200+ plays. Eventually I just got myself a second set of them (read: a second boxed game) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.