Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, why do publishers reissue games with a different names.

And even worse: why does Boardgamegeek follow the madness? This game has been known as MaNiKi for ages. Now all of a sudden it seems to have been reissued under a different name et voila: let's change the name of the game for everyone.

I hate it when all of a sudden a game pops up in my collection which I don't recall, only to find out someone has changed the name of a game I own. It's in the same league of irritating as the constant shuffling of merging and splitting of games and versions.

Ok, that's enough rant for a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameGeek is English-language, so the rule is that the primary title of a game is that of the first English-language edition, in this case the FoxMind Jungle Smart, otherwise that of the original edition in its original language. Though I think MaNiKi! is a far more awesome name and wish FoxMind had kept it, that isn't justification enough for BGG to retain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rigolade wrote:
BoardGameGeek is English-language, so the rule is that the primary title of a game is that of the first English-language edition

That may be the rule, but that doesn't mean it's the best one. I think it would be a better rule if the primary title would the title of the edition(s) that most people here actually own. Because that's what's on the shelves of the users of this site.

Yes, I'm aware that might be a hard rule to implement, since printruns and ownage of versions are hard to check.

It's just frustrating that everytime some publisher decides to rename the game BGG just sheepishly follows. This isn't the first time. I've even seen games renamed that haven't been published in English yet (probably based on intent or announcement I guess?).

Anyway, enough ranting for a lazy sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.