Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's one or the other, I would suggest Acquire (which I rate a 5) over CE (9) because of the not-scare-casual-gamers condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they're very different games! Acquire is a classic, and widely credited for inspiring many newer games. You can certainly teach it to just about anyone in ten minutes, and it's a great light game. But it is a bit luck-heavy for my taste. Sometimes the tiles just don't want somebody to win, and sometimes a player will end up stuck with a large chain and no cash--and thus nothing much to do--for several turns in a row.

CE, on the other hand, has no random elements at all (other than seating order and first player, which can be slightly important). It's more complicated to learn than Acquire, but (strictly in terms of rules complexity) not a huge leap from Monopoly or Risk, I would say.

The biggest difference, in terms of what your asking, is replayability. After a few plays of Acquire, you'll probably find that you've got it pretty well figured out. If you play the same group every time, then the winner will be determined more by the luck of the draw than anything else. That may be just what you're looking for, but maybe not. It's still a fun and exciting game that I do recommend.

CE, on the other hand, will take many, many plays to master. You can sit down and play by the rules relatively quickly, and you'll probably enjoy it as a light, simple game. But you'll find yourself thinking more and more about your choices with repeated plays. At first, if you play like most new players, it will seem more like a race game than anything else. Then you'll start thinking about the share prices, and who's getting the best deals. At some point the power of a minority shareholder will manifest itself--not everybody gets to Chicago anymore! And then you'll begin thinking about how to entice others into helping you, how to manipulate the turn order, whether you should auction a share or null-bid... There's a whole lot to it.

So I don't think you'll go wrong, either way, but if you want a game that will keep you thinking and learning, Chicago Express is your better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both of these games for the very first time recently. I have added both of them to my want list.

I was more hesitant to put CE on mylist because I wasn't sure how much I liked the auction mechanic. However the more I thought about it the more I realized I liked the other aspects of the game. (map, components, shares/stocks, dividends, etc). I figured I could get better at the auction part of the game with more plays.

Acquire is a game I inheritated as a kid from my brothers back in the 70's. I never did understand how to play it back then and it eventually found it's way out of my collection. At a recent game meet up it was chosen to be played and I joined in curious to see how I would like it as an adult and having someone teach it to me. Although I did poorly, I enjoyed the game and am eager to give it another go.

I would recommend both games. I don't see that they are really similar so I'm not sure what your dilema is. Railroads or Hotels, pick one....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarques1982 wrote:
Yeah, I forgot to ask about replayability... Thanks for writing your opinion.

Also, how about "catching up"? Is it possible to catch up with the leader in those games? Are they unforgiving?

I guess I just want the perfect game... hahahaha

Anyway, what are your opinions on these other criteria as well?

Neither game is a "machine-building" game, meaning neither one gives large advantages to the player who's farthest ahead. So runaway leaders are pretty rare in either game.

It's certainly possible to catch the leader in Acquire. In fact, it's not always easy to tell who's really winning, unless they're running away with it. Ideally, you want to have a majority of shares in a couple of small companies that keep getting absorbed and re-formed, generating cash for you. You use that cash to gain a majority in one of the companies that will be big at the end... if you can. There isn't a lot you can do to pull the leader down, though.

In CE, a player who's winning can be pretty hard to stop. By the time you realize that he's winning, though, the game is probably pretty close to being over. This is part of what makes the game so interesting, though: you'll replay it in your mind afterward, and try to pinpoint the moment when his win was inevitable. Next time, you won't let him get away with it! Since the setup is the same every time, and there are no dice or cards to change the situation, you'll have the same choices to make next time, and you'll make them more wisely.

If equity is a real concern, consider buying the Erie/Narrow Gauge expansions for CE. The Narrow Gauge expansion adds a nice way for a player to slow down the others, and is especially good for five or six players.

Most people will tell you not to play CE with six. It is a very different game with six, more chaotic and susceptible to kingmaking and player lockout, but I still prefer it to Acquire with six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, we had to choose between these 2 games to play last night. I would say I'm slightly more biased towards CE, but both are great games.

I own CE and my understanding from the game has gone from to wow to cry then surprise. What usually happens with new players is that each start to buy a lot of shares in their own company. Then red probably wins. Then people start splitting red in the next game. Then people become more careful when auctioning shares and determining prices.

Acquire, I was doing the same pattern when I started, but then the last game, I had the most cash, but I still lost. Basically, your play is determined by your tiles. If you can create companies do so. When buying shares, you need to buy those of companies that are in close proximity to each other because your stocks will be put to work. It took 2 painful losses to go this way.

So both are good, I just find Chicago to be faster and more elegantly designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls