Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Doull
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both fantastic games but if i were presented with that choice I would go with Acquire. I think the concepts in it are easier to teach without making it any less deep.

The main complicating factor in CE is the auction phase. It's a very cool part of the game but also can be very punishing to brand new players. Do badly in that first auction and you might not come back.

I don't know how scary either of them would be. Aesthetically CE looks better than most of the various printings of Acquire. The rulesets for both are fairly simple, but I'd give the nod to Acquire here. Playtime for both is short.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd pick Acquire and look to getting CE later, but you wouldn't go wrong doing it the other way around. Both are worth having in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
The randomness of Acquire lends itself more to replay-ability. The only randomness in Chicago Express is the player's motivations and actions.

I would say "catching up" in Chicago Express is more deterministic... again, because there aren't random elements working against your planned actions directed against another player.

I like both games. I think CE is a more elegant game, but it is also a harder game to win against seasoned players. CE works great in my groups because we all learned the game together and have all experienced the best and worst of play... we are on equal footing with one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarques1982 wrote:

Also, how about "catching up"? Is it possible to catch up with the leader in those games? Are they unforgiving?

In Acquire if you run out of money and only have stocks from hotels that end up merging late in the game it can be impossible to catch up. This happened to me the first game, bought higher value stocks early, ran out of money and never drew a tile that merged any of my hotels, and the other players know it and avoid merging my chains also. Learned to spread out early or at least not spend every dime ASAP. Never played the other game so can't comment there. Still enjoy Acquire a lot now that I know the "trick" to starting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mb
I have the same problem. My solution is: both!
Yesterday I got my Acquire. Now is time to buy train game and here is where I have another problem: Chicago Express or German Railways. But this is not the place to discuss this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.