United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My father and I have played Chess together since I was very young. I don't remember when he taught me, but I don't remember a time when I didn't know how to play. It's always been one of those things that we did together, but when I got older and only saw him on visits to his house or mine, playing a game of Chess became more difficult because it was a long 2-player game and it would take my dad away from hosting a holiday dinner, or leave another guest on their own. If games were played, they were short, social games that could include everyone.

Recently, I was fortunate to win a copy of Tic Tac Chec here on BGG, and I knew right away it would be a gift for my dad. We went to visit him yesterday, and he was curious as soon as I brought it out. The box is small, only slightly larger than a VHS tape, so it won't take up a lot of room on his shelves. The components are wood, and the box insert makes a nice presentation upon opening the box.

Image by stormseeker75

Since we were both familiar with how Chess pieces move, we only needed to learn the rules specific to Tic Tac Chec; that we started with an empty board, adding a piece anywhere on the board. Once we had 3 pieces on the board, we could move the pieces like in Chess, including capturing our opponent's pieces. First one to get 4 pieces in a row wins.

The first game, my dad won by getting 4 in a row without ever having to reposition a piece, because I was looking two moves ahead, rather than seeing what was in front of me. That's also how I beat him in the third game. Our second game, we had a good game of cat and mouse going, but still it was fast (under 5 minutes) and fun.

My dad exclaimed how much he liked it, and I agree that it was perfect for us. It is fast enough that we can play with a third person around (they can watch a game, and then rotate in if they want). It would also make an excellent traveling/camping game - it's small enough to play on an airplane tray table, and light enough to carry in a backpack.

Although the game itself was a wonderful gift, being able to play with my father and seeing him enjoy it was an even better one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
That actually seems like a fun little game. Who knew...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo is a master of finding unknown fun games. Thanks for the review, Indigo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like something Mystery Bob would like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I will have to check this game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me (it's at my dad's house).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussed here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/502213/the-rules

Seems to be some ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mopski Lopski
msg tools
You can still move those pieces but it's really a better strategy to get your other pieces back on the board as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.