Subject: House Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I've put together some optional house rules that I thought other players might be interested in (and spot problems with). I've done it as a series of questions and answers. Please don't post that the answers to the questions contravene the original rules. All these house rules contravene the official rules and so are optional. I am interested in whether other keepers think they will work.

Can investigators and monsters move across the Foyer stairs banisters?

Yes, but it takes 2 movement steps. An investigator can do it in one but they must succeed a Dexterity roll plus 2 (and if they fail they do not move). A Monster with wings can fly over the banisters at the cost of 1 movement step.

Pros: It adds theme (and has minimal impact on the game).
Cons: It adds some complexity.

Can Uncontrollable Urges be played multiple times?
Yes, but only once on a particular investigator.

Pros: It discourages the Keeper from just focusing on the weakest investigator
Cons: It may have an impact on the Keeper’s chance of victory.

Can several investigators hide in the same hiding space?
Only if specified with-in the scenario.

Pros: Two investigators hiding in a trunk just looks silly.

When are the discarded Combat cards returned to the Combat deck?
The cards are returned to the deck when the deck runs. In addition, they may also be reshuffled at the start of the Keepers turn at the request of any of the players.

Pros: It prevents players checking all the cards played to determine exact odds of the next card.
Cons: It adds an extra element of randomness to combat. 

If an additional puzzle of the same type needs to be set-up what should be done if the puzzle pieces run out?

This is unlikely to happen but the player may choose to free up the puzzle pieces by discarding the original puzzle.

Pros: It’s more practical than the other choices.

For puzzles when is egg-timer turned over?

The tiles are set-up face-down (except for the central piece). The egg-timer is turned over by the player just before turning over the puzzle tiles.

Pros: It encourages the player to quickly set-up the puzzle.
Cons: It may lead to confusion for novice players.

New Keeper Action Card: Sabotage Solution (Cost 1 Threat)
If there is an unsolved Lock or Wiring puzzle the Keeper can swap a tile(except the central tile) with a randomly drawn face-down tile.

Pros: It makes puzzles more of a challenge
Cons: Not suitable for novice players (or groups who don’t like the puzzles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting stuff here.

The foyer stair thing is definitely more thematic, but I'm not sure it is worth all the added complications resulting from it. And the risk of losing all of your movement would probably stop anyone trying to make the Dex test - maybe a fail still results in them moving, but they take 1 damage instead from tripping? (That's a bit more in-keeping with how failed tests work in the game for horror / evade / etc.)

Uncontrollable Urges - are you suggesting it can only be played once per GAME on an investigator? If so, then I wouldn't want to implement that idea as it is too damaging for the keeper. Once per TURN per investigator is fine.

Combat cards - I think giving anyone the chance to shuffle cards back into the deck creates more of a chance of "gamey" tactics than trying to count cards. For example, it is probably quite difficult to work out what kind of attack is going to come out of the deck next (especially as it could be an investigator who draws it, or a monster, and then there is the weapon variance, so there is no real way of guessing if the next card on the deck will even be used. However, if a really powerful card gets used, the keeper could immediately ask for it to be shuffled back into the deck, improving the chances of it turning up again. Overall, I think the deck is random enough that this would not really prove necessary.

All the puzzle stuff seems fine, and nicely thematic.

Your sabotage solution keeper action is similar to a mythos card, but that mythos card allows you to reset the whole puzzle for one threat. You might need to make the keeper action a bit nastier for the threat cost, but limit it to one use per puzzle perhaps?

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:

Can Uncontrollable Urges be played multiple times?
Yes, but only once on a particular investigator.

Already adopted this one myself as to avoid problems with the Keeper abusing it by merely playing it by the rules. Hope it becomes official in the next FAQ.

Your Sabotage card suggestion sounds interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
If an additional puzzle of the same type needs to be set-up what should be done if the puzzle pieces run out?

You put the discarded piece on the bottom of the reserve (by the rules) so you can not run out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. You've raised good points - it will help stop the optional rules causing a sanity loss during play.

The foyer stair thing is definitely more thematic, but I'm not sure it is worth all the added complications [...] maybe a fail still results in them moving, but they take 1 damage instead from tripping?

OK I think it will be simpliest to just play it takes 2 movement points to climb over the stair banisters.

Uncontrollable Urges - are you suggesting it can only be played once per GAME on an investigator? If so, then I wouldn't want to implement that idea as it is too damaging for the keeper. Once per TURN per investigator is fine.

Once per turn. I will make this clearer in the house rules. As several people already play this option I'm hoping some nice person will produce a suitable replacement Keeper action card.

Combat cards - I think giving anyone the chance to shuffle cards back into the deck creates more of a chance of "gamey" tactics than trying to count cards.
OK how about the reshuffling the combat deck whenever an Event card is triggered. This might be a happy medium between card counting and blind luck.

Your sabotage solution keeper action is similar to a mythos card, but that mythos card allows you to reset the whole puzzle for one threat. You might need to make the keeper action a bit nastier for the threat cost, but limit it to one use per puzzle perhaps?
You have a good point. How about for 1 threat two tiles are replaced but the card must be discarded? Otherwise a Keeper who has accumulated a lot of threat could make solving a puzzle a bit tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.