Popular Tags: Variant [+] Zombies [+] Madness [+] Mall [+] [View All]
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall Madness - Zombies!!! Variant Version 1.0 Rules and Label Sheet

Zombies!!! – The Mall Madness Variant

For 2-6 Players

Introduction
The Zombie Apocalypse is upon the face of the world. The Z-Virus, or whatever it was, has taken over the population by storm. It spread quicker than the last pandemic of the Flu Virus. You got a group of your closest friends and headed up to the mall. What better place to lock yourselves up with your brains and all the supplies you could hope for to survive the Z-Apocalypse. You and your buddies always knew it would come down to this, all the playing and watching of those Zombie movies has finally paid off. The human race depends on it! The cake is not a lie! The one thing we do know is that the Zombies can smell living flesh and they crave the taste of brains.

Goal
Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by killing 100 Zombies as a group, however the one with the most kills will be heralded as the master zombie slayer.
If all players die, the game is lost, however the player that killed the most zombies will be the “winner of losers.”

Components Needed
Zombies!!! by Twilight Creations
Mall Madness by Milton Bradley
Eight 8 sided dice with colored stickers on them representing the 6 colors of shops in mall madness, 1 color or word for parking and 1 color or word for token spawning. (Colors are: Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Blue, and Green)
Item Tokens (I use upside-down bullet tokens)
Something to keep track of rounds.
Something to keep track of how many zombies you’ve killed.

Variant Rules
Rules Illustrated here, when they differ from those of Zombies!!!, will supersede the rules in Zombies!!!

Setup
Setup the Mall Madness board as usual. Place each player at the base of one of the escalators and also place heart tokens in each rest room, at the top of each elevator, and in the ATM and food court spots. Place 1 item token in each store. Each player will get 1 item card to start with.

Turn Sequence Overview
1. Spawn Zombies/Tokens
2. Move/Attack
3. Move Zombies

Spawn Zombies / Tokens
At the beginning of your turn roll the 8-sided dice according to the Zombie Spawn Chart.

For each of the colored locations rolled, place a zombie in one of the shops for that color.

For each parking you rolled, place a zombie in any parking location.

For each token you rolled, roll those dice again and place a token of your choice in a shops for each color rolled. If you roll token again with these dice you can place two tokens of your choice (except for item tokens) in the food court or ATM spots for each token rolled again. If you roll parking with these dice then you get an item card for each parking rolled again.

Example of Spawning Zombies / Tokens:
Andrew rolled Yellow, Yellow, Red, Blue, Token, Parking, Purple, and Token.
Andrew places zombies on Hang Tags Department Store, Fun Fusion Science Store, Between the Pages Book Store, the Playing Field Sports Shop, Green Parking, and Jimmies Ice Cream Shop.
Andrew then re-rolls the token dice (2 in this example) and rolls, Token, Blue. Andrew then puts a bullet token and a heart token in the Food Court and places a heart token in the High Score Arcade.

Move/Attack
Combat and movement remain the same as in the Zombies!!! game, with the following exceptions:

If you die, you’re dead for good, however you turn into a zombie and you get to move like a zombie on your turn.

You must combat all zombies in the square you’re in or any square you move into as per the original rules. However if there are no zombies in your square you may attack zombies in adjacent squares however you only kill on a 5 or 6 (bullets can increase your die roll) and you can only attack each zombie once. You can also attack zombies 2 squares away if there are no zombies in your square, but you only kill on a 6 (bullets can increase your die roll) and you can only attack each zombie once. Zombies that are attacked outside of your square can only be attacked like this once per turn.

If during your move there are tokens in your space with no Zombies you can add those tokens to your token piles. If you picked up an item token discard it and draw an item from the item card deck and add it to your hand.

Move Zombies
When you roll 1-4 8 sided dice for zombie spawning you roll one six sided dice to determine the number of zombies you move, otherwise you roll two six sided dice to determine the number of zombies you move.

If you’re undead (aka a zombie) you move your zombie plus whatever else you roll. Your zombie moves one space at a time.

If you’re dead undead you still get to roll for spawning zombies and zombie movement.

Zombies are compelled to move closer to the nearest living player (they do want your brains after all.) If there is a tie, the player moving the zombie decides where to move the zombie.

Zombie Mob - If at the end of your Zombie move phase there are 5 or more Zombies on the same space it creates a Zombie Mob! This Zombie Mob must move closer to the nearest living player (if there is a tie between multiple players the player moving the Zombie Mob chooses which direction the mob moves.) The number of spaces this Zombie Mob moves is equal to the number of Zombies in the Mob. If you move the mob into a space where other zombies exist, those zombies join the mob and you add that number of zombies to the total movement of the mob. Once this mob stops moving it will not move again as a mob unless a new mob is created (on another space.)

Example of a Zombie Mob:
Andrew just placed a fifth Zombie in a parking lot. At the end of Andrew's Zombie Move phase he takes that mob and moves it closer to Bethany. On the third space of movement, the zombie mob increases by 2 zombies, so now the zombie mob moves a total of 7 spaces toward Bethany (4 more spaces.)

Other Variations from Zombies!!!

There is no limit to the number of tokens you can have.

There is no limit to the number of cards you can have in your hand.

Zombies, tokens and players can share spots. For example, one spot can contain 2 Zombies and 1 bullet token.

You do not draw event cards as per turn sequence 3 in the original rules.

Escalators count as 1 space. Zombie fights on these should be fun!

You can move onto spaces you've already moved on.

Moving in to a store counts as 1 movement.

Moving in to an elevator counts as 1 movement. You must end your turn when you make it to the elevator, and you can start your next turn at either logical elevator space. While in the elevator zombies can not move into the elevator spaces, and will not chase you.

Zombies can move up and down escalators and into bathrooms, however zombies cannot use elevators.

Buddy Zombie Death – When your friends die they become zombies, if you kill them they are worth 5 normal zombies (they however only count toward your zombie count.)

Card Modifications
Item Cards that reference certain locations for bonuses to die roles or attacks can be used anywhere. Examples – Chainsaw, Molotov Cocktail.

Item cards like Chainsaw, Fire Axe and Molotov Cocktail only grant bonuses when fighting zombies on the same space as you are.

Cards that reference “building” now state “store.”

Just when you though it couldn’t get any worse now places a zombie in each store in a color of your choice (or each parking lot.)

Bad Sense of Direction will move a player back to an escalator bottom instead of the town square.

Claustrophobia makes the player attempt to go to the parking lot for the turn using all movement and combating any zombies in the spaces that are travelled in with a +1 bonus.

Grenade kills all zombies in your current space (or current store) still for the cost of 1 heart token.

For other items not listed here, use common sense or general consensus on how the item should be used. I tried going through the deck to find out what things would need to be addressed, and by all means post what you ran into and how you resolved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Kelvis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise D'oh! We've been working on this idea ourselves! Glad to see you pull it together so nicely. I can't wait to give this a go!

zombie
-The Kelvis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Philo
badge
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like fun. Now I have to go thrift a copy of Mall Madness and try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting variant of the game.

I'll try it with my gaming group next time we play Zombies!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Now I do have this game. I'll have to grab Mall Madness now. Though first I'll need to get over buying a girl's game - yeech

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing the variant against with my wife, and it seemed to play rather well with 2 players.

One of the main problems with the variant is that there really was no compelling reason to travel to the upstairs part of the mall. I was thinking either having tokens spawn only on the second floor, or having item acquiring happening only on the second floor.

Also at points of the game there were stores with 4 or more zombies in them. I was thinking of one of two options to solve this (or both), either when a store has 5 or more zombies in it, the player that placed the 5th zombie in the store must move the zombies within 2 spaces of any player and not on that player's space. And/Or to change zombie movement to where --- Zombies can move up to the number of spaces as the number of zombies on its starting space (zombies don't want sloppy seconds.)

One final point is that I was trying to figure out what to do when all 100 zombies were out on the board at the same time, where you couldn't spawn any more zombies (due to lack of having more.)

Needless to say we did not kill 100 zombies total, but ended up killing 64. I had the most

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Alampay
United States
University Place
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So looking at the rules, you can still play the variant using one 8-sided die, correct? Can the rules be reworked so that you can use 6-sided dice instead of 8-sided ones. I'm thinking of using a pair of 6D's which would be labeled as such:

die #1: zombie, zombie, zombie, parking, bullet, heart
die #2: Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Blue, Green

Would this work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoma_boy wrote:
So looking at the rules, you can still play the variant using one 8-sided die, correct? Can the rules be reworked so that you can use 6-sided dice instead of 8-sided ones. I'm thinking of using a pair of 6D's which would be labeled as such:

die #1: zombie, zombie, zombie, parking, bullet, heart
die #2: Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Blue, Green

Would this work?

It could work, however consider the following:

If you have to spawn multiple zombies in a turn, then you'll have to roll the 2d6s for each spawn instead of just rolling the d8s (there are ways around this if you use 2d6s that are the same color for each spawn.)

The odds change:
For each d8:
Zombie Spawn = 7/8
Token Spawn = 1/8 (and you get to choose what token)
Double Token Spawn = 1/32

For each d6:
Zombie Spawn = 4/6 or 2/3
Token Spawn = 2/6 or 1/3
Double Token Spawn = 0

I'm not saying that you can't use 2d6 for the spawn, in fact I'd be curious to see how that plays out (in theory more tokens means easier game for the players.) I just needed to use the d8s that I took from Jumanji

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Alampay
United States
University Place
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
some more thoughts you may want to consider:

- the token spawn odds doesn't really matter if you keep the 'maximum of 5 life token at a time' from the original rules.
- I would also put in a limited number of tokens available at a time.
- alternate placement of tokens between the ground and second floors.
- a mechanic that would trigger the placement of the helipad (rescue) at a parking area or roof above one of the 2nd floor stores. being able to escape the zombies seems to make more sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoma_boy wrote:
- the token spawn odds doesn't really matter if you keep the 'maximum of 5 life token at a time' from the original rules.

I'll need to update the rules, as I played with you can have as many tokens as you can collect. I really wanted to make this a challenging game to win, where you had limited resources and where zombies would start to overwhelm you, and where in the beginning you'd want to help everyone, but when the going got tough you might want to try to take out the other players, but in doing so might allow them to have their kill count higher than yours.

tacoma_boy wrote:
- I would also put in a limited number of tokens available at a time.

There weren't too many tokens on the game board at any given time using the d8s

tacoma_boy wrote:
- alternate placement of tokens between the ground and second floors.

We did this naturally, however just tokens on the second floor didn't make a compelling argument to trudge through the zombies that were there.

tacoma_boy wrote:
- a mechanic that would trigger the placement of the helipad (rescue) at a parking area or roof above one of the 2nd floor stores. being able to escape the zombies seems to make more sense to me.

The point of the game, or goal of the game is to survive in the mall by killing a certain number of zombies (currently it's 100 which may have to increase.) As this would make a strong compelling argument to go to the 2nd floor, I have other thoughts to get people on the second level.

Thank you for the suggestions as I like hearing other's opinions, it did make me think about a few things concerning the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can put "draw back up to your full hand" tokens in each of the stores. Don't allow people to draw cards like they usually do in Zombies. You only play with the cards in your hand. This will make players go into the stores to refill their card hand. Then if you make the token get discarded when used, you will slowly run out of stores on the bottom floor and will start having to head upwards to get to more of the Draw tokens. Only weakness with this is that 2 player games will have lots of draws compared to 4 or 6 player games.

Either that or do what I did in my scenario. Take the most important 12 cards out of the deck and attach them to certain stores. Go to the store, get the card. When the card is used or discarded, it becomes available at that store again.

OR
take the most important 12 cards out of the deck, shuffle them for a "Sale" deck. Then utilize the game's electronic component to announce where to go to draw from that deck. "There's a sale at the Shoe Store. Oh and a revolver."

all ideas I have jotted down while I was making my LNOE version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
Maybe you can put "draw back up to your full hand" tokens in each of the stores. Don't allow people to draw cards like they usually do in Zombies. You only play with the cards in your hand. This will make players go into the stores to refill their card hand. Then if you make the token get discarded when used, you will slowly run out of stores on the bottom floor and will start having to head upwards to get to more of the Draw tokens. Only weakness with this is that 2 player games will have lots of draws compared to 4 or 6 player games.

Draw tokens - Interesting Idea. I already have it so that people have to go to the bathroom spot on the board to get items (don't ask but someone saying 'I went into the bathroom and there was a chainsaw/shotgun/etc laying on the ground' is just funny to me.... yeah I know... I need help.) After playing though, I didn't like how close the bathrooms were to the central part of the board. So perhaps I put bullet/heart tokens in the bathrooms instead and put these item tokens in each store, that does make a "bit more sense." Perhaps instead of "double token spawn" I'll make that "spawn item token" or "draw item."

ReignsEternal wrote:
Either that or do what I did in my scenario. Take the most important 12 cards out of the deck and attach them to certain stores. Go to the store, get the card. When the card is used or discarded, it becomes available at that store again.

I did think about this as well, but item tokens seem like a better time, because with item tokens you don't know what you will get, and I like that element of surprise.

ReignsEternal wrote:
OR take the most important 12 cards out of the deck, shuffle them for a "Sale" deck. Then utilize the game's electronic component to announce where to go to draw from that deck. "There's a sale at the Shoe Store. Oh and a revolver."

I was going to put something in the rules that "if the electronic component turns on and speaks all zombies move to the adjacent spot to the closest living player" just because the electronic unit annoys me for some strange reason.

ReignsEternal wrote:
all ideas I have jotted down while I was making my LNOE version.

Your variant (and promise of a Zombies!!! variant) inspired this variant to be quite honest. Thank you for the feedback and suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god. Ever read a comment that just makes you chuckle (for the rest of the day)? Chainsaw in the bathroom... If the electronic component turns on and speaks.... priceless.... laugh

Wish I could be more help to you. After promising to finish work on the Zombies!! variant, I found that I only own Zombies4!! and the cards aren't close to the same (along with the fact that they are zombie dogs). I have my rules written up for my Zombies!! scenario unfortunately until I get ahold of a list of the cards I can't go any further. I need to figure out a list of 12 cards/items in the deck to make into "Pickup:" tokens.

anxious to see your take on the item tokens and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok just played the game with some modifications to the rules, and I like them.

Setup has changed - "Item Tokens" will be placed in all stores, once picked up the player that picks up the token will get an item. Players no longer get items ending a turn in the bathroom (even though I still think it would be hilarious to go into the bathroom and walk out with a chainsaw "hey guys" as you kick the door down "I found a chainsaw in the bathroom"). Heart tokens are also placed on the top of the elevator.

New Zombie Movement Rule -
Zombie Mob - If at the end of your Zombie move phase there are 5 or more Zombies on the same space it creates a Zombie Mob! This Zombie Mob must move closer to the nearest living player (if there is a tie between multiple players the player moving the Zombie Mob chooses which direction the mob moves.) The number of spaces this Zombie Mob moves is equal to the number of Zombies in the Mob. If you move the mob into a space where other zombies exist, those zombies join the mob and you add that number of zombies to the total movement of the mob. Once this mob stops moving it will not move again as a mob unless a new mob is created (on another space.)

Going to update the rules above shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm getting to this thread 3 years later but I had a question. I have a mall madness arrive shortly but wondering how large the tile spaces are...?

I picked up zombicide and wondering if the pawns bases would be too large. I think they'll be a little on the tall side but I'm okay with that. (:

I'm also thinking of incorporating the monster pawns from white wolf game I can't remember the name of. Something along the lines of universal monsters terrorizing the humans in the mall.

Great job on the rule set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
I know I'm getting to this thread 3 years later but I had a question. I have a mall madness arrive shortly but wondering how large the tile spaces are...?

I picked up zombicide and wondering if the pawns bases would be too large. I think they'll be a little on the tall side but I'm okay with that. (:

I'm also thinking of incorporating the monster pawns from white wolf game I can't remember the name of. Something along the lines of universal monsters terrorizing the humans in the mall.

Great job on the rule set!

Thanks! I'm glad this is still played!

I think the spaces are under 1" in size, but it may vary from edition to edition. The zombies from Zombies!!! fit perfectly (a few per space if memory serves me correctly too!) I don't have the exact measurement and my Mall Madness games are in boxes right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying!

I just measured the pawns from zombicide-they are just under 1". So only fig per space but still fits!

More to come once I get the game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
Thanks for replying!

I just measured the pawns from zombicide-they are just under 1". So only fig per space but still fits!

More to come once I get the game....

Looking forward in seeing your results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you're interested in expanding the game but the 3d board from clue museum caper also fits the zombicide figures (and zombies!!! Figures as well). Not sure how you'd combine the two- maybe a secret underground tile space to avoid the hordes outside both buildings? (:

Here's a pic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been meaning to add in the museum caper and was just thinking about it again the other day when you posted about this. There was one other game as well, but it escapes me. I talked about it in the thrifting threads a long time ago....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So looking over the rules to clue: the great museum caper, I started to brainstorm ideas for zombifying it.

Since the original game is you trying to thwart a clever theif (who you can't see) who is stealing famous paintings from under your nose and then finally escaping out of one of several potentially locked doors...

What if it were reversed? Replace the paintings with other survivor tokens. Perhaps scared people locking themselves in the museum until it all blows over? But...thanks to you finding the secret passage from the mall across the street/town/etc. you've accidentally led the zombie(a) right to them. And, since the power is out at the museum, you can't see the zombies. Hence survivors in the museum may be there one minute and then be zombified the next! --all the while, you are trying to gather any remaing supplies they had (namely the radio they so selfishly were sitting on using until the time was right)and turning on the power to reveal those zombies and make radio contact to rescue you back at the mall.

So essential it could play like a side mission or simultaneously to the same game. One player would be the mall survivor while another player would play the theif (zombie) tracking his movements on the clue museum caper pad unbeknownst to the other player until museum survivor pawns are removed and replaced with zombies.

I really like this idea and it obviously needs tweaking but I think the story makes sense gameplay wise as a sequel to mall madness:

The Great Zombie Museum Caper!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about this more (already).

I think the zombie theif needs to be a deranged human. This way it makes more sense for him/her to infect (kill) the remaing museum crew so that the zombified museum people will be responsible for the mall survivor deaths- not him/her. Perhaps they are doing it because they see the mall survivors as zombies coming to get them? Or maybe they are just crazy. Either way it makes for a more dynamic approach.

I tend to think of him as the governor from Walking dead who's at the end of his rope,who does something drastic to insure his survival. And the whole museum in the dark is the episode in which Carl goes solo into the depths of the prison. Or the creepy 'governor hunts Andrea' episode.

(:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up my mall madness today--and brought along zombicide pawns to make sure they fit within the tiles of the mall...

Hooray!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved this over to the zombicide variant thread. I'll post new info there. (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.