Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich and I played our first game of Agricola with the new Gamer deck recently. The deck is very interesting, but the lack of wood in the standard 2-player game (with no cards drawn to help that) rather restricted the farms we could build.

In this game, I played Green/Desert, whilst Rich played Red/Winter. The new boards come from the Goodies pack; the wooden counters come from a mix of the Goodies pack plus some counters I've picked up separately (I'm very fond of the wood tokens which are three logs stacked together).

Stage I began with me gaining a Carrot Farmer and a Carrot Cake Baker, and planting some carrots! Through the use of a "passing" card, both of us bought a cow, who ended up in our house providing really, really fresh milk!

I expanded my house and built a Fireplace. Rich one-upped me by going straight to the Cooking Hearth and getting some fences built: neither of us were producing much on our farms at present.

Rich now had sheep and had expanded his house and family to match mine. Yes, he really has sheep: they are lost in the snowy landscape! I gained some grain and planted it, and otherwise planned for later turns, but I could tell I was falling behind.

My house expanded to its fourth room and occupant, but Rich, probably more wisely, spent his wood getting more fences built and gathered some animals.

I finally built more fences, and my cow moved out into the paddock and was somewhat happy in the desert. Otherwise, I concentrated on my growing of crops, whilst Rich built a frozen-over well. I did build a Stone Oven, however.

The last turn was its predictable scramble: I upgraded to a clay house, and made sure I had sheep and cattle for the end-game scoring. All of a sudden, Rich decided to gain crops, and he did so very efficiently: enough so that my end result wasn't looking so good.

Final Scores:
Merric 32 (4 fields, 1 pasture, 3 grain, 4 vegies, 2 sheep, -1 boar, 1 cattle, -2 unused, 4 house, 12 family, 4 cards)
Rich 38 (3 fields, 4 pastures, 2 grain, 4 vegies, 1 sheep, 1 boar, 4 cattle, -4 unused, 3 house, 15 family, 5 cards)

Rich was the victor by 6 points in a fairly low-scoring game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player is always a wood shortage. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
almo2001 wrote:
2-player has always a wood shortage.

I hadn't thought about it, but 2p has even more of a wood shortage than 1p.

It reminds me of this (along with this (family game) and this (full game)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review, I liked the inclusion of pictures. Makes me itch for the Goodies expansion.

As others have pointed out, wood is always scarce in the 2p game. As a rule of thumb, if you see 6 wood available, take it. Furthermore, any occupation or minor that gives or saves wood (Forester, Wood Carver, etc.) are extremely precious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely - and we had nothing that helped with resources. Sometimes you can cheat and get a lot of clay through a card, and that helps reduce the wood dependency, but the cards (while good) weren't of that sort.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:
2-player is always a wood shortage.

2 player is my least favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
weed131 wrote:
almo2001 wrote:
2-player is always a wood shortage.

2 player is my least favorite.

Agreed, although admittedly I scored my best game ever in a Level 3 "Farmers of the Moor" 2-player session w/GC&O decks added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.