Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have been wondering whether there is any copyright issue involved in using MS fonts within the design of company logo? I am getting different views from the web as some are saying using the MS Fonts for commercial purpose require the purchase of the license from the creator of the font itself. Others seemed to suggest that fonts (letterforms) cant be copyrighted but the program used to control the fonts can be copyrighted. Hence I am quite confused over this. Appreciate if the community at BGG can share your comments/thoughts on this issue...

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonts are copyrightable, but usually provide open license to those who have purchased them. If the font came with the software or OS you purchased, you most likely own the license. If you are not sure, and you want to protect yourself, buy the font used in your final logo. I do this for a living, and I've never been questioned, but it's a good idea to make sure you have the rights secured, or get liabilty insurance just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, if you are going to use professional (not free) fonts for professional use, you should buy the fonts. There are plenty of good fonts that come with your computer that are already paid for (the computer company paid a license so you can get the fonts). With MS fonts and Windows, I'm not so sure, since I don't use Windows, and it's MS we're talking about. The fonts that come with a Mac are usable, since Apple has already paid for them (and you in the price of the OS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls