Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Groff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

For my first substantive posts on these forums I want to talk a bit about some alternative models for MoM. I am going to start off by saying that this is not intended as a quality judgement of Fantasy Flights included components. Many of the included sculpts are quite good and well detailed. It is just my opinion that many of the included creatures in the game are not good representations of the Mythos. Scrolling through the forums I think there are many people who feel similarly, and for many it is simply not an issue. This post is obviously for the former.

I would also like to point out I am not great photographer or painter, so please forgive the less than stellar image quality.

One sculpt that really had me scratching my head was the Shoggoth. The included models are bipedal and oddly symmetrical with a clearly defined head. Not very Shoggoth like unless you're using this as your source material:

The legs can easily be removed for some improvement in credibility (as suggested by many users on these forums), but I still felt underwhelmed by the models appearance. Initial searches through RAFM's line of CoC RPG models were also disappointing, yielding a much more credible, but inelegantly crafted and over-all underwhelming shoggoth model

Step in "Tengu Models" Shoggoth (http://www.tengumodels.co.uk/userimages/procart2.htm)

This sculpt wins on all levels. It is highly detailed and well cast resin. It also looks like a shoggoth.

Each model included a set of four tentacles to further customize the appearance. These do require a little green stuff in order to install convincingly, and they are cast from pewter which makes posing them a bit more difficult due to the added weight. I opted to just use two of the smaller tentacles to avoid this issue. Though someone with the patience to pin and place the larger tentacles could yield some very dramatic and impressive results.

The scale is very close in approximation to the included models (as illustrated by the photo), with the original edging out a tiny fraction, mostly do to it's upright stance.

I will say that price is obviously an object for these replacements seeing as you've already purchased an expensive game. I did find the international shipping rates to the US to be quite cheap and quite fast with my models travelling all the way from England to California in less than a week and the price point of the models themselves to be reasonable considering the quality.

Over all I really love these replacement models and would gladly recommended them.

Here is some more information, pictures, and a painting tutorial care of the sculptor:

http://migobrainsoup.blogspot.com/2011/02/shoggoth.html

Thanks for reading!

-Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The alternativee does indeed look like "a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train, a shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over..", apart from the size thing, but I'd personaly argue that FFGs does, too, if painted the same way. I can't find the exact quote right now, but I recall that Shoggoths are able to form appendages, mouths, other organs etc at will from their protoplasm, and often do in order to perform specific tasks etc. Whipping up a pair of legs does not disqualify a Shoggoth from being a Shoggoth.

Eco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure thoses are the shoggoth legs ? I thought thoses were a poor victim being dissolved...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Groff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...I recall that Shoggoths are able to form appendages, mouths, other organs etc at will from their protoplasm, and often do in order to perform specific tasks etc. Whipping up a pair of legs does not disqualify a Shoggoth from being a Shoggoth.

I do recall that they can form blasphemous mockeries of sensory organs such as mouths at will:

"They were normally shapeless entities composed of a viscous jelly which looked like an agglutination of bubbles, and each averaged about fifteen feet in diameter when a sphere. They had, however, a constantly shifting shape and volume - throwing out temporary developments or forming apparent organs of sight, hearing, and speech in imitation of their masters, either spontaneously or according to suggestion."

I suppose there is no reason they couldn't sprout legs, I just don't personally see why they would. As with most things it comes down to some personal preference. I think the FF model has it's merits as a creature, it just doesn't evoke a Shoggoth to me. I have similar issues with the Mi-Go sculpts. I wouldn't expect most to be as picky as me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone who's happy with FFG's Shoggoth, it's still very cool to see the other stuff out there, so please don't be discouraged from posting more like this as you have them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not criticising your Shoggoth I think it definitely looks like a Shoggoth. But it's a bit...boring for me. I like my Cthulhoid monstrosities with tentacles agogo and gaping maws etc.

I like your paintjob pslette choice a lot, though. When I get round to painting my Shoggoths I'll follow it.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to chime in with my enthusiastic recommendation for Tengu miniatures. It is a new company, and the sculptor/owner of the business is very talented and demonstrates terrific customer service. His line of zombies are my favorite modern zombies out there, no question. They actually look like real people, not stylized superheroes, not lumpy malproportioned cartoons, but real people, wearing normal clothes not nurses uniforms, chicken costumes, Elvis costumes, cheerleader uniforms, or any of the other nonsense that all other companies feel compelled to dress their zombies in.

Reasonable prices and reasonable shipping from the U.K. I'm delighted to see him producing Lovecraftian sculpts. I will buy them all, but probably not to use with MoM, just as display pieces.

And to the O.P., I really like what you did with the bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently wrestling with the Shoggoth leg question myself. I suppose I could amputate them on one of the models and call the other a genetic aberration - assuming nightmares have genes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorch wrote:
I am currently wrestling with the Shoggoth leg question myself. I suppose I could amputate them on one of the models and call the other a genetic aberration - assuming nightmares have genes.

Just a suggestion - you could use green model putty to fill in the claws and make them look a bit more like tentacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.