• [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yar, here be some more themed musical ideas for yer booty search:

the *original* soundtrack to Pirates of the Carribean (the old Disney ride, don't you know -- probably also likely to contain "yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum")

any snippets of music or dialogue from Treasure Island

...although I've never seen it and it's probably a really awful movie, anything from "Cutthroat Island";

Roman Polanski did Pirates! in the early 80s with Walter Matthau, of all people;

Any CD of old accordion sea shanties, maybe from old whaling ships (probably difficult to find, but doable)

Any bits of soundtrack from old pirate-themed Douglas Fairbanks or Errol Flynn movies (although these will probably sound more like Old Hollywood than high-seas adventure)

and, of course, "For I Am A Pirate King" from Pirates of Penzance.

Yar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holst's "Mars" always seemed more scifi space opera battle to me, i.e. "dreadnoughts and fleets of fighters colliding in the neutral zone" kind of music.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Two to get, both by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: The Sea Hawk, and the Adventures of Robin Hood. Both have been released on CD, but might be out of print. The Sea Hawk was one of the first of the swashbuckling, ass kicking, rousing Pirate movies, with a score perfectly suited for that ship to ship combat! arrrh Eh, me hearties! The Adventures of Robin Hood, while not a Pirate movie, has a score well suited for the kind of hand to hand, sword fighting, guard stomping music you look for in a pirate raid! Both star Errol Flynn. and both movies are highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Both star Errol Flynn.

Jogged my memory -- "Captain Blood" was his first movie and started his whole career... fascism and everything Couldn't ask for a better pirate theme than that, though.

"Treasure Island" is easily found on Amazon... as well as any number of CDs simply by typing "shanties".

I think I got scurvy just by typing the word in their search engine. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Two to get, both by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: The Sea Hawk, and the Adventures of Robin Hood. Both have been released on CD, but might be out of print. The Sea Hawk was one of the first of the swashbuckling, ass kicking, rousing Pirate movies, with a score perfectly suited for that ship to ship combat! arrrh Eh, me hearties! The Adventures of Robin Hood, while not a Pirate movie, has a score well suited for the kind of hand to hand, sword fighting, guard stomping music you look for in a pirate raid! Both star Errol Flynn. and both movies are highly recommended.

Erich is the best composer of this type ...excellent swashbucklering music ...can't agree enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade Fits the theme I think.
I. The Sea And Sinbad's Ship
II. The Story Of The Kalander Prince
III. The Young Prince And The Young Princess
IV. Festival At Baghdad; The Sea; Shipwreck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:

The just released an Errol Flynn DVD set with The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood. I have been meaning to go get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah.. go to the iTunes store and look for "The Toucan Pirates"... very piratey...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the ultimate pirate theme track:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002SJC/qid=111546...

Goodness me, what a long URL!

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing that pops into my head when I think pirate themed music is the music from any of the Monkey Island games from LucasArts. I particularly like the music from Curse of Monkey Island. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gibson
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irish Descendant's sang Barret's Privateers which is a good pirate type song.

Well the year was 1776.
How I wish I was in Sherbrook now.
A letter of Marque came from the King
to the scummiest vessle I'd ever seen,
Goddamn them all, I was told we'd cruise
the seas for American gold, we'd fire no guns,
shed no tears!
I'm a broken man on the Halifax pier,
the last of Barrett's Privateers.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Chin
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tom Waits in this thread. Guy sounds exactly like a pirate (In fact, his voice was used in Shrek 2 for Captain Hook). If you want perfect pirate-style music, then I suggest the album Rain Dogs. "Jockey Full of Bourbon" might be just the song you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.