Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after being really excited about this game for a while, I managed to score a copy from the BGG marketplace recently and (after reading the rule book a couple of times) brought it to my gaming group this week. Some of my players were intimidated by the amount of rules at first (we're a bit of a mixed bag as far as gaming goes, some players, some who are more party game types), but several people wanted to try it as they're fans of the show. So we set things up, and I did my best to remember everything I'd read.

Aboard our Galactica were Balter, Roslin, both Adamas, and Helo. (I was the commander, though I realize now that it might have been good for me to take the chief since we were very low on engineering) I went first to show everyone how things run, and give them an idea of what the turn flow should look like. Things started out fairly calmly, and our first crisis was passed with little incident. Next up was Lee, who was understandably worried about being the only viper outside when Cylons were starting to swarm. He moved towards the civilian ships, and XO'd me to weapons control to shoot at the basestar. His crisis was our first big one, and our first failure. Once we revealed all the cards, it became apparent we had a cylon aboard the ship. We also knew that our cylon had politics cards (since there were 3 in the check that ruined us). Since the president hadn't played in, that left Baltar and Lee. It was an early mistake by our cylon, but we couldn't be sure who that would be yet.

Our cylon would be revealed pretty quickly as in the next round or so, Balter moved himself to administration and tried to take the presidency. Unfortunately, due to some particularly bad crisis cards, we were low on skill cards, and Baltar had a full hand. All hail president Baltar. Now we were in real trouble. The skies were swarming with cylons (by this point 2 basestars and 9 raiders) and we weren't ready to jump yet. On top of all that, we had a cylon president. By the time Helo arrived on the ship, his first order of business was to brig the president. Luckily, we passed this one (though in retrospect, we should have been more suspicious since Baltar didn't play against the check).

Finally, after some viper and civilian losses, we managed to jump away. Things were quiet as far as space combat went for the rest of the game (which did seem a little odd). Roslin tried, (and failed unfortunately) to re-claim her presidency (destiny was well against us, and Baltar added one big skill card to the check), and we managed to jump again fairly quickly. This brought us to 4, and a new round of loyalty cards.

By this point our resources were not good (especially fuel, since we'd lost some due to attacks, and some due to crises), and the situation was going to get rough very quickly. We were still passing most of the crises, but we had some bad luck with folks ending up in sick bay and having a real lack of cards. Unfortunately, Baltar wasn't done with us. He encouraged insurrection and gave Helo the admiralty. I certainly should have fought this, but at the time Helo seemed trustworthy and had been helping us. I assumed Baltar was just trying to sow discord. But that was the start of our demise. In the next turn, we were finally able to jump again, and Admiral Helo picked us a location that killed the last of our fuel and ended the game for us.

I should mention that the players using Baltar and Helo are married, which might explain how they managed to pull one over on us so easily when not one of us suspected Helo might be the cylon. Also, I realize now that I also let Baltar draw a crisis card from the brig on one of his turns, which was a rookie mistake.

All in all, the game went over fairly well, and I think everyone had a good time. It was a little slow, and I think the next one will be a lot more interesting now that everyone has an idea of how it flows. I was impressed though, that the game was pretty easy to pick up after a round or so, and no one seemed to have too much trouble figuring out what to do on thier turns after a bit. I think it was interesting that we never had a revealed cylon and we still managed to lose. I made at least one rules mistake, and I probably made more than one that I didn't notice, but I think it went quite smoothly. I absolutely am looking forward to playing this one again, and I think my game group might agree. The cylon players walked away feeling good about their victory, and the human players walked away wanting to redeem ourselves. I'd say the only downside is that our Lee player (who was the only one who hadn't seen the series) missed a lot of inside jokes and dialogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. Definitely sounds like a first-timers session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Nice report. Definitely sounds like a first-timers session.

Yeah, it lacked a lot of the paranoia and blind accusations that I expect to arise with repeat plays. We weren't nearly skeptical enough for our own safety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bury
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyable report. Love seeing first-timers play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That was our first five player game. Too much trusting leads to a four turn swing from "things are going fine" to "cylons win". It only takes one screw-up for the humans to lose it all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabalias Quistos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't be the first time the presence of a couple screwed things up. We had the cylon (unbeknownst to us) half of a couple accuse his other half of being the cylon. Somehow, the fact they were in a relationship completely threw us off balance, and we were paralysed by indecision. A short while later said cylon blew up the ship. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough game to win as the humans, almost always close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.