Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently post an opinion poll which can be found here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthread&th...

Judging by the fact that it has been largely ignored, I can only assume that there was a problem; either with the poll itself, or with the way I posted it. I'm not really sure, can anyone tell me what I did wrong, or are people just really not interested in my poll. What can I do to get more responses, or get more people to see it. I can accept any criticism, so fell free to let me know without worrying about my feelings.

Thanks,
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the length of the poll is one problem. Also, with open ended questions, you're asking a greater commitment from the respondant, either in time or thought. Also, the traffic/interest seems to vary day to day. Some of the forum posts or GeekLists I create that I think will generate a lot of responses get nothing, while others go like gangbusters.

Perhaps simplifying the approach and paring it down to just 3 or 4 questions at a time may help. You might not get all the answers you need at once, but the easier it is to participate, the more likely folks will take the time to do so.

If you get the responses you're looking for from a more streamlined poll, then you can follow up with some additional short polls until you've gotten all the info you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't exactly have advice, but I have been busy lately. I saw your poll, and simply didn't want to take the time to answer it properly, so I just scanned it and moved on.

Perhaps your timing was just bad. Perhaps you would get a better response if you asked a few questions at a time over the course of several polls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Length may have been a problem, it seems. Perhaps I'll break it up, if it got popular then it would make my work easier as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree that length and open-ended questions is a turn-off. Words like "most," "of all time," and "ever" scare away people with scant time. Also, maybe no one wanted to participate because you have Fluxx and Clue rated at a '9.'

That being said, I'll send you my answers shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urg, I have fluxx AND clue rated 9.blush hmmm, looks like it's time to review my ratings, I think I rated them before playing really good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
I skipped the poll because most of the questions are too subjective and I felt too many absolute terms were used in phrasing the questions. (I'm just not an "absolute", yes/no, black/white kind of guy. There are shades of gray everywhere.)

For example, the first question is "What is your absolute all time favorite game to play?". This is a very subjective question. What can we learn from the answers? Probably not very much. Let's say you get twenty responses back. If they are all different, (a likely outcome, I submit), what does that prove? That we all like different games? We already knew that. If a few of the responses are the same (lets say 3 responses out of 20 list Puerto Rico), we still haven't learned anything useful. The response pool will most likely be too small to draw any valid conclusions. So what's the point of the question?

Personally, I don't have an "absolute all time favorite game" I like to play. What I like to play will change from day to day depending on my mood. I can't point to one single game in my collection and say "that is my absolute favorite game." I most likely have multiple "favorite games." Why should I be limited to one?

Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on a rant here... I chose not to reply to your poll because I didn't like the questions. I hope I have explained why I didn't like the questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that was a very informative response. I guess that I am imposing my own personal ideas, as I do have an all time favorite, I guess it's kind of naive to assume that everyone else does as well. Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I could re-phrase the questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try out the new GeekQuestion feature -

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekquestions.php3?action=askor...

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that makes my idea redundant. When did that show up??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
All your questions duplicate the answers on many, many geeklists and require a decent commitment in time to answer. Also, they're not a 'poll'. You'd no doubt get a better response if you just asked the questions in separate emails one at a time.

Even better, you should seriously consider just searching around the site since many of us have already given these answers many times over. A series of generic questions in a discussion group just isn't going to generate a lot of interest.

1) What is your absolute all time favorite game to play?

Click on people's profile and see what they've rated a "10"

2) What is your all time least favorite game to play?

Click on people's profile and see what they've rated a "1"

3) Which game is the most over-rated on the Geek?
4) Which game is the most under-rated on the Geek?
5) Which game are you most anticipating this year?
6) Which game do you REALLY want to be re-printed (that hasn't already been announced)?
7) What is your most disappointing purchase ever? (if all works out, this question will have "during the past year" rather than ever, next year.)
8) What is the best expansion ever?

Scan through the Geek Lists. All these questions have come up over and over.

9) Who is the one Geek who you find contributes the most useful stuff to the site?

Tom Vasel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Howdy
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't get that information out of me!

I AM NOT A NUMBER!

Who is Number One?

Be seeing you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
Well, that makes my idea redundant. When did that show up??

About five minutes before I posted the link. I was surprised too.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.