Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

question as in the subject. Even though the rules do not support multiplayer options explicitely (unlike London's Burning), I wonder if the flow of the game pracitcally allows to play this game with two participants cooperatively (being in control of different fighters, one being the wingman, etc.).

This question may sound absurd to experienced players, but I haven't caught any glimpse of the system so far - an easily to implement two player variant would be a precondition for getting deeper into it.

Thanks!
Nils

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can this game be played with more than one player (like London's Bruning)?
I have read that people play this co-operatively by dividing up the fighters and SO points. Should be no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Phantom Leader, but I am familiar with the very similar Hornet Leader.

The Leader games absolutely can be played co-operatively. You can either do so completely informally (with all decisions taken jointly "by committee", as it were), or more formally (dividing up the SO points, along with "ownership" of planes and pilots, and have each player take all the decisions for their planes and points). I've tried the first method myself, as I strongly believe that two brains are better than one (and we absolutely walloped the opposition when we played a "short" campaign that way in one evening session).

Hopefully DVG will start to add an explicit recommendation that their Leader games can be played in that fashion for their future releases. To which end, everybody should immediately pre-order a copy of U-boat leader so Dan passes the required order threshold sooner rather than later. Because I want to torpedo Atlantic convoys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a caveat that the first campaign, War in the South may or may not make for a good 2 player game. For a few of the targets, you can only take 1 aircraft on a mission. So unless you play 'by committee' as Richard suggested, this wouldn't be doable. But the other 2 campaigns can be split up so that each player is running a couple of aircraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your enlightening replies.

Question concerning Chucks caveat. Would you (not only Chuck) rather recommend to go for Hornet Leader CO instead? I.e.

1. does it promise better possibilities to play cooperatively?
2. is it as approachable as PL for a newbie to the Leader series?

Historical background and price range is interesting/acceptable for both games, so those aspects do not need to be considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Same co-operative possibilities in HL than PL ;

2. Increased difficulty induced by the rules additions is very acceptable, so HL is also a good choice for a beginner.

HL is (extremly) richer than PL (more aircrafts/weapons/campaigns) and is an absolute success.

Nonetheless, I will always play PL because it's an accurate simulation of a real conflict (with historical references) while HL covers a majority of hypothetical conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HL is my first game of the series (not the last, though, as I've ordered U-boat Leader and might get TAL too). The rules aren't particularly difficult, but the extra weapons/planes/campaigns means that there's more variety than there is in PL.

Plus I'm more Top Gun than Flight Of The Intruder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
HL is my first game of the series (not the last, though, as I've ordered U-boat Leader and might get TAL too). The rules aren't particularly difficult, but the extra weapons/planes/campaigns means that there's more variety than there is in PL.

Plus I'm more Top Gun than Flight Of The Intruder.

Is Kelly McGillis for anything in your choice ?

Remember than Fighter is only a defensive weapon, Bomber is an offensive one...

Don't worry, we will need A-6 and F/A-18 with air to ground weapons to make the job in HL too...

If you like F-14, good luck to defend the fleet (Carrier Defense Target Card) with Political Limitations Event (like in my Libya 1984 Campaign)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.