Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most frequently asked questions I get is something along these lines:

"Why did you choose to make the cards seat the way they do? Wouldn't it be easier to do it like Wings of War? That way you could remove the cards easier, without affecting the position of the car. As it is now, it is too 'fiddly'"

I admit that it does take a fair amount of finagling as it stands now, but there is a method to my madness.

d10-1 Geometry - I didn't want to change the geometry of turns. If you map out a turn radius of a car that uses the current system, it will eventually cirlcle back on itself. If you do the same with a Wings of War type system, the length of the car becomes a factor in the turn geometry ... so a person who plays one hard right per turn and one who plays 2 or 3 a turn will make signifigantly different curves. This system works for WoW, becuase you dont play multiple cards per phase, whereas Outrider can vary from one - six in a turn ... I also wanted to differentiate the game from WoW, as I knew the comparisons would come.

d10-2 Vehicles - As it stands now, all the vehicles bases are the same shape and that shape is exactly the same as the maneuver cards, but there are bigger and smaller vehicles coming. I didn't want to have the size of the vehicle to (again) effect the geometry of the cards - just imagine if a semi truck was drag racing a car. The tractor trailer could eek out a nose ahead, after each have just played 3 straights, if measured from the rear - that sort of thing. That's why all distances in Outrider are measured from leading edge to leading edge.

d10-3 Gameplay - The game, as I envisioned it, is about pressing (or managing) your luck. I wanted players to plot their actions, mindful of the possible consequences. As it stands now, rolling a '1' for a control roll isn't always a failure, if you've stacked the modifying factors right ... now granted, you have to get bold to accomplish awesome things and that's where the risk/reward comes in. The maneuver cards give players a great way to visualize and modify their goals, as well as replicating the process of driving ... at least it does for me, as I tend to visualize 'paths' when driving; I wanted to capture that aspect of forethought - In reality, I only sometimes imagine when I will attack someone while driving.

All that said, I threw together a little placeholder tool that will allow players to mark the final position of their car, without shifting the position of the maneuver chain, so that when the cards (and vehicles) are lifted, the vehicle can be repositioned, sured up and the appropriate token(s) placed.

it looks a little something like this:

It's rough right now, but I wanted to give you something useable now, I'll work on making it prettier later. Oh and it's available in the Outrider pics.

'til next time

-G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.