Popular Tags: [View All]
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
A few initial questions:

(1) Green 6 Combo Question: Page 6 of the rules indicate that upon rolling a Green 6 the player can “move a Drift Cube from one grid to another anywhere on your mat.” Please confirm that the grid it is moved to has to be one that the player would otherwise be permitted to work on (i.e. it could not be moved to a 3rd inventory item if two other inventory items are still under construction).

(2) Inland Fishing explore tile:
a. If the player who pulls it out of the bag does not have Spear x2, is it still placed on the board in the selected spot?
b. If yes, does that player move onto it (without fishing of course) or do they have to remain on the tile they were on?
c. If yes, another player (with Spear x2) can move onto this tile in the future to use it correct?
d. If a fishing attempt is made by a player (with Spear x2) they can roll for Yellow fish without any bait correct?
e. Does the tile get flipped over even if the attempt fails (i.e. no dice show the appropriate color)? Also, if another fish was used for bait, does the player lose it even if no fish are caught?
f. To show the use of a fish for bait, does the player just move the corresponding marker down once space?

(3) Special Events:
a. Please confirm that no adjustment to the time track is made if a player has Shelter x1 and a Gale occurs.
b. Do you need to have Spear x1 to attempt the free fishing event?
c. For the thief event, can it be from any grid on any other player’s mat? Can it be the black cube? Does it have to be used on your board for you to steal it or can the thief simply return it to the stock if they want?

(4) Map x1 Question: Does the +1 roll mean the player gets to use 4 dice when rolling for green to add to their health?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My impressions from the rules:

(1) Green 6 Combo Question: Page 6 of the rules indicate that upon rolling a Green 6 the player can “move a Drift Cube from one grid to another anywhere on your mat.” Please confirm that the grid it is moved to has to be one that the player would otherwise be permitted to work on (i.e. it could not be moved to a 3rd inventory item if two other inventory items are still under construction).

I would tend to agree with your interpretation here, but the rules do leave it wide open. Hopefully Will will clarify this.

(2) Inland Fishing explore tile:
a. If the player who pulls it out of the bag does not have Spear x2, is it still placed on the board in the selected spot?

Sure - if you look at the board of a game in progress (page 11), you see a fishing tile with no one on it...it's like any other tile you pull out - it's placed where you indicated before the draw, regardless of whether you can pass it or use it.

b. If yes, does that player move onto it (without fishing of course) or do they have to remain on the tile they were on?

Sure - the only tiles the rules restrict movement on are the tree falls , terrain tiles, and red encounter tiles.

c. If yes, another player (with Spear x2) can move onto this tile in the future to use it correct?

Yes - it remains active/available until a player uses it (like most other tiles). Also can be seen on the example board setup on page 11. it's not flipped, so it must still be available.

d. If a fishing attempt is made by a player (with Spear x2) they can roll for Yellow fish without any bait correct?

Yes. The note on the example board (page 11) mentions fishing and that you can fish for any type of fish as long as you have the bait. You don't need bait for yellow, so you can fish for yellow anytime.

e. Does the tile get flipped over even if the attempt fails (i.e. no dice show the appropriate color)? Also, if another fish was used for bait, does the player lose it even if no fish are caught?

I would expect so in both cases. It's not explicitly stated, but neither do the rules ever mention a second chance at fishing a tile - it's flipped after you've fished it...not after you've caught a fish...I know alot of people who have gone "fishing" but never caught a fishpD . It is interesting that fishing has a higher risk than vines/timber harvesting...but you also have more opportunities to fish.

f. To show the use of a fish for bait, does the player just move the corresponding marker down once space?

Yes. Page 10 mentions that you have to use one of your previously caught fish for bait (although it doesn't explicitly state you have to move it down, it seems logical). If you cut up a fish for bait, you certainly shouldn't still have it in your "possession"

My questions regarding the fish would be when eating them - it mentions that you can increase your health before you roll - is that just for that turn, or is it permanent? I would assume permanent, but I'm not positive.

(3) Special Events:
a. Please confirm that no adjustment to the time track is made if a player has Shelter x1 and a Gale occurs.

It's mentioned that you ignore Gales - therefore it seems logical you act as if a gale never happened.

b. Do you need to have Spear x1 to attempt the free fishing event?

I would think so...under the general fishing section, it mentions you must have the Spear x1 to fish...and the free fishing event is still fishing...it could use some clarification though!

c. For the thief event, can it be from any grid on any other player’s mat? Can it be the black cube? Does it have to be used on your board for you to steal it or can the thief simply return it to the stock if they want?

Black cube can NOT be stolen (as mentioned at the top of page 9 under the Underground bunker section. It sets no other limitations, so it could be from any grid. Steal would seem to suggest that you would have to use it, but it's not explicitly stated - would be nice to have a clarification here.

(4) Map x1 Question: Does the +1 roll mean the player gets to use 4 dice when rolling for green to add to their health?

This could definitely use some clarification...is it one additional die...or is it 2 rolls of 3 dice each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Garry, thanks for the help. All of your responses seem logical.

I think the text on p8 that says: "You ignore the content of any tile being crossed unless you are passing an ‘undefeated’ red danger tile, a fallen tree (impassable unless Knife x2 - machete - built) or taking a photograph" is not really accurate based on these answers. The content of the Island fish tile, the Underground Bunker (in a 3/4 player game) and Waterfall tiles would all seem to not be ignored?

Now that you mention the example on P11, why is the Monkey tile and the Lightning tiles still face up? Wouldn’t they have been resolved at the time they were placed on the board and then should be flipped over? Or am I missing something?

Also, I had one other question on exploration: If one player has several explore actions before the other players, it would seem possible that all 4 of the starting squares could be filled in before a player has taken their 1st explore action. If this occurs, do they simply place their token on one of those 4 spots without drawing a new tile? In the example on p8, it shows Red's placement options as only the two shaded spots, but what if they were already filled due to Yellow or Green getting a 2nd explore before Red?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, I had one other question on exploration: If one player has several explore actions before the other players, it would seem possible that all 4 of the starting squares could be filled in before a player has taken their 1st explore action. If this occurs, do they simply place their token on one of those 4 spots without drawing a new tile? In the example on p8, it shows Red's placement options as only the two shaded spots, but what if they were already filled due to Yellow or Green getting a 2nd explore before Red?

The answer is present on page 8 of the rulebook - I think you just missed it. Look in the middle of the page on the right side where the printing is in light italics showing player 3 (red's) options for first explore. In the text above that picture, you'll see the following instructions, "If all shaded squares are taken, simply place your marker on any tile within the shaded start area."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay gents, some clarifications for you:

1. Green 6 : if used as swap (and not free explore) you can move a single shape from any grid currently under construction to any other valid grid on your mat.

'anywhere on the mat' is a touch misleading, as it must be into one of your valid grids (ie 2xinv and 1xhealth from start). If, say, you only had 1xinv grid under construction along with 1 health, you could move a single shape from either of those grids into a new inv item of choice. This is sometimes useful to 'unblock' a grid where you're struggling to land that final shape.

2. Inland fishing tile

The tile is drawn and placed and moved on to, like any other tile, but you must have spearx2 to be able to fish it. If you don't, you simply ignore its content while standing safely on it. Another player can then come along and use the tile to fish - the tile is then flipped. And yes, the tile is flipped, irrispective of result. Remember, you always catch at least 1 fish though, even if you roll a blank.

You can fish for yellow if you have spear x2, and you can fish for green and red if you have already caught a yellow or green fish to use as bait. When using a fish as bait you simply move the relevant marker down one on your fish caught scale. eg, you want to fish for red? move the green marker down 1 space.

3. Special events

Ignore gales - yes, if you've got shelter x1 you ignore the storm in special events

No, you don't need spear x1 for free fishing. You simply roll the 3 dice and take however many yellow. It's generous for those without spear, especially as you can eat the fish to bump up strength (therefore grabbing the swap/explore 5 bonus quickly with very little work).

4. map x1 roll modifier

Mapx1 gives you one extra dice roll when rolling for your health modifier against a red tile. Let's assume you already have 2 health, then roll 2 green from the three colour dice. You then get to roll one of the dice again, in the hope of an additional green. It's a small bonus, but it can squeeze you out of the odd scrape.

5. Which tiles (don't) get flipped?

waterfall, fallen tree, monkey and storm tiles all stay face up for the duration of the game once they are drawn and placed. Because monkey and storm are acted on as soon as they are drawn, they have no effect once placed - they are simply a safe, 'spent' tile to cross.

You can flip the storm and monkey if it creates confusion, but (especially with storm) it can help decide how much risk there is in a move, and it does leave a bit of the story on the board when many of the other tiles will be flipped by game end.

6. shaded start area occupied
Thanks, Larry, yes there's a little example on mid-right of p8. You simply place your marker on top of any of the 4 tiles in place if other players have drawn and placed tiles on the 4 start squares before you. Sometimes it's advantageous to follow other players, as you can see what's ahead - especially with photography unlocked (hint, hint).

some other general tips:
If struggling with game length (ie too long) and grid building delays, I strongly advise trying the following 'easy play' rules tweaks until more familiar with the game.

1. Use all the tetris shapes.
2. Use 10/15 terrain tiles for 3 & 4 player (usually 15/20) for more explore room and fewer block ins.
3. Use Pink 5 and 6 as joker from start (add pink 4 when ropes x2 built)
4. Only Yellow 6 triggers special events (not 5 & 6)
5. Storms do not send back to base camp, they simply cause damage. Also, only Storm 1 (gale) now moves player marker down on time-track.

storm 1 (gale) = time-track -1, lose 1 shape
storm 2 (tornado) = lose 2 shapes
storm 3 (tsunami) = lose 1 entire build from any grid (or 3 shapes if nothing built)

6. TIP: remember to advance the time-track for every grid built AND when free explores are taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks Larry & Will. Will be playing this on the weekend and wanted to be sure I got all the rules straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Will - nice to know that you always get 1 fish...don't think that's mentioned in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Garry and Kent - enjoy your first plays and please let us all know how you get on.

Also, please add in the 'easy play' rules I added at the end of my post at least for your first game (at least use all shapes and pink 5 & 6 for joker), and then take away these 'crutches' one by one for a longer, more brain-sizzling challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Will, I think Garry has it right, but can you confirm that a player can steal another player's cube even if they can't or don't want to use it?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you must be able to place the shape you steal. If there's no valid shape you can't just take one and dump it.

Also, just to confirm Gary's point about the black shape - this 'dark matter' cannot be stolen (as the rulebook states - yay! I got something right!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.