Subject: Advanced maps report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charleston James
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We had a few 2-player games last night on the new trapezoidal board. It was a fascinating difference from the basic hex map.

In recent weeks we've spent most of our play testing on complex games, using the trapezoid board with a campaign map in play. This time we focused only on the trapezoid board. In the basic map, with hex spaces, there are 6 directions a player can choose from to enter or leave a space. The trapezoid board divides each hex into 3 equal spaces. This effectively triples the size of the board but it also reduces the maneuvering choices down to 4 directions. This reduction in movement options proved quite surprising.

The quad-directional factor was actually a little more difficult to handle than movement on a hex board. With the added complexity of the board, a ship's mobility, as limited as it is, seems more valuable on the trap-board. It's also a bit more difficult to visually track where your ship is and where a target is, at least without totally exposing your plans to your opponent (pointing to each space with your finger like a little kid sort of gives it away).

The first 2-player game was over in about 5 minutes. The game's creator did not win - kudos to Captain Kirk. The second game was payback. The last game went to Captain Kirk again.

The advanced map requires even fast ships to work a little harder to get in attack position, which requires more cards. Using more cards for movement must be balanced against using other cards for winning the game (such as attacking the opponent). Some players (such as the game's creator) may have to adapt their playing style to function well on the advanced maps.

With relatively equal mobility, a heavy ship can wipe out a light ship fairly easily, as it should be. There are mobility cards in the game which give light ships a significant advantage in movement just as heavy ships have in attacking. In most of our play testing other effects have been utilized instead of capitalizing on these high mobility cards. The trap-board makes it quite clear each player should use every capability they can to their full advantage.

As in any customizable game there is a strong focus on skill with the minimal impact of chance. I don't know how luck of the draw is affected on the new maps yet but it's very clear that skill is the most important factor. A lack of mistakes is only one aspect of skill, making the right choices at the right time is another. And I'm very glad to see that skill, both in deck design as well as game execution, is at the top of the list in this game.

Be sure to visit the official website www.dogfighttcg.com for documents, questions, and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not fully understand the mechanic of the partial hexes. It would seem to me to overly complicate a clean mechanic. Would it not be simpler to reduce the size of the hexes? For example in the picture above make the planet fill 4 smaller hexes.

One of the great things about hex based games is that it is an equal distance from each center to the next as compared to an orthogonal grid style.

Using the quadrangle system would seem to complicate LOS even more.

This is just my opinion, use or ignore as you like!

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charleston James
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, smaller hexes would be better. If there were enough revenue coming in from the game I would simply commission such a map design from the artist who created the current boards. Without that revenue I have to do the alterations myself, and this is the only way I could do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.