Subject: Do you have nationalities or "sides" you prefer to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that, with WWII games at least, I tend to want to play as the Russians when fighting the Germans, the Finns vs. the Russians, and the Germans if the opponent is American or British. In the Pacific--which I don't have very much experience in --I prefer the Japanese when against Americans and the Chinese against the Japanese.

I like offense better than defense, I think

Is anyone else the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes, as I prefer the LOOSER 'side' in any so that they shall WIN occasionally some then. The few DRAW for these were just that indeed! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always will prefer to take the Americans. Partly because of overt nationalism on my part, mostly because I "think" like an american and know more about American tactics and equipment. I will switch over to the darks side on occasion, usually to play the Germans against the Russians. I don't like playing them much for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
GROGnads wrote:
:p Yes, as I prefer the LOOSER 'side' in any so that they shall WIN occasionally some then. The few DRAW for these were just that indeed! :whistle:

The more you take it, the looser you'll get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
I almost always will prefer to take the Americans. Partly because of overt nationalism on my part, mostly because I "think" like an american and know more about American tactics and equipment. I will switch over to the darks side on occasion, usually to play the Germans against the Russians. I don't like playing them much for some reason.

Pretty much what he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I like playing the good guys.

Sometimes I like playing the bad guys.

And once in a while I like playing the ugly guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most if not all of the guys (and they've ALL been guys of the male persuasion) I've ever wargamed with have been as we say here "severely whacked with the Ugly Stick"...I think it's a wargamer thing...

As to nationalities since I'm not really what you'd call a nationalist I don't mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) Anarchists
2) Communists
3) British/Commonwealth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the WW2 reference I do not have specific games in my mind, just what part I would like even in a hypothetical game.

WW2 games: Russians and Japanese
And between Americans and Germans, certainly the Germans.

Spanish civil war: Anarchists + Communists

Civil unrest games: Anarchists( vs Police of course)

Indians(Native Americans) vs Whites

Greek civil war: Communists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer playing particular situations rather than sides. In a game between a hard-hitting but slow side and a nimble side that is vulnerable in open battle, I prefer playing the latter: meaning in Hammer of the Scots I prefer playing the Scots over the English, and in Washington's War the Americans over the British. Similarly, in games on the Russian Civil War I prefer playing the Whites because I find their situation more interesting: they need to keep the Reds off-balance before the Bolsheviks can gather their forces and the Red steamroller can start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
In cold war games I usually play the Communists, there just more fun to play.
In World War 1 games I like both sides, but depends on which front I'm fighting.
West front I tend to like the Allied side (not the least because of Belgian troops), on the East front I like the Russian, with their vast resources, but overall low abilities.
Near east front I like the allies (Lawrence of Arabia) better then the tired Ottomans.
African fronts, I tend to like the side of the "local tribes" vs. the big imperialists.

I don't play WW2 games, I tend to find either side boring.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb

The Germans, for their smart uniforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:

The Germans, for their smart uniforms.

Commies... but don't quote me on that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
I've a thematic preference for revolutionary struggles, and would rather play the role of the revolutionary than the counter-revolutionary or Imperial part in those conflicts. But more importantly - I will happily play 'the bad guys' if it gets an appealing game to the table quicker. I'm more interested in seeing the situation play out in front of me.

Or, put another way: there's a pretty solid divide in my head between me-the-gamer and Leftenant Rapemurder, the dastardly commander of my forces on the board (or Lt. Colonel Golden Twinkletoes, for that matter). I have been known to cheer my opponent for defeating my politically retrograde forces.

(...occasionally.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game scenario for me.

Market Garden- The Allies.
D-Day/Normandy- Both
Bulge- Germans
East Front games- Germans
Italy- Allies
N Africa- Germans
Grand Strategic- Germans

ACW- Confederates
Napoleonic- French
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
What I find strange about my playing preferences is they are so at odds with my political beliefs.

I'd rather play Confederacy than Union, the British Empire over the poor blighted natives and the Royalists as opposed to Parliament. I think I'm essentially a right-wing wargamer trapped in the body of a liberal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take the Allies on the Western Front in WWII over the Germans or Soviets, and I'll take the Soviets over the Germans. I'll take the Union over the Confederacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will play any side. My only caveat is that I'm only interested in wargames with the British in it. That is probably because it is the country I identify with and a lot of my relatives were directly involved. For that reason I have no interest in East Front or Pacific games despite the fact they have a wealth of interesting battles.

I often end up playing French, Spanish, Italian, German or Japanese and I'm happy to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whom I choose to play is related to which side has the more interesting situation as opposed to any belief systems or political leanings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
Whom I choose to play is related to which side has the more interesting situation as opposed to any belief systems or political leanings.

Second that. Though ultimately, my preferences for who to play are extremely weak - I will play any side.

One exception: if playing the classic old SPI fantasy wargame Swords & Sorcery, I always insisted on playing the O.R.C. - the Orcish Revolutionary Coalition. There was something romantic and sad about how Chairman Nashkhund brought the orcish rabble up from nothing after he deposed crazy King Krawn, and made the O.R.C. arguably the strongest power in the Valley of Ararlve. Only to be destroyed by a bourgeous coalition of Men, Dwarves, and Elves. Ironically, the destruction of the O.R.C. sowed the seeds for the demise of those kingdoms too - weakening the strongest military in the Valley left them all vulnerable to the Empire's final push to conquer the region...

But otherwise, no preference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
I've found that, with WWII games at least, I tend to want to play as the Russians when fighting the Germans, the Finns vs. the Russians, and the Germans if the opponent is American or British. In the Pacific--which I don't have very much experience in --I prefer the Japanese when against Americans and the Chinese against the Japanese.

I like offense better than defense, I think

Is anyone else the same way?

About offense vs defense, yes. About the nationalities, I'm pretty different. In WW2 games, I'm biased toward Germans and Americans (I'll gladly play either), and I generally can't stand Russians or Chinese (I'd rather not even play a game they're in).

I wonder if my biases come from growing up in the Cold War era, where Russians and Chinese were the biggest bad guys.

Aside from WW2, I like Chinese culture and history. Nothing about Russia ever appealed to me, though.

When it comes to actually playing a game, though, I can easily set my biases aside and play any nationality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play the Minor Powers in WWII - the Poles and Belgians against the Germans, the Rumanians against the Russians, that sort of thing. I like the challenge of the weaker troops and their second-rate gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game has Germans in it, I generally like to play them. Same goes for Romans. For ACW games, I strongly prefer playing the Union. Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WW2: Allies, except on the Eastern Front, I slightly prefer to play the Germans.

ACW: Union

WW3: NATO

Arab/Israeli: Israel

Vietnam war: US

Napoleonics: completely impartial, I'll play any nationality. Exception: for the War of 1812 I want the Canadian/British side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In WWII games I typically prefer to play the Germans when given the choice. This might seem strange to those who know me, as I despise Hitler, and everything he did and stood for, and am also extremely nationalistic.

However, I can't help but find Germany's equiptmental superiority in many aspects to be fascinating. Often times it seems as though that poor strategic decisions (and I literally mean "strategic" - i.e. large scale overzealousness and confidence) made for difficult tactical decisions - ones that I often think I can "play" better than were originally done. This of course presumes that the particular game in question doesn't artificially tie my hands too closely to the historical. For example, I despise playing the Germans in any D-Day scenario where there are "X unit can't move until Y turn to symbolize German indecision..."-type resitrictions - if I wanted that sort of limitation, I'd watch a movie.

While I realize that the ket to Allied victory in WWII was in large part superior production capabilities (i.e. it didn't matter that Panthers >>>> Sherman's, when the Panther was swarmed by 12 of them), I still find many German scenario's fascinating from the "if they would just have stayed within their means" philosophy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.