Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Simpson
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say this because I hired a guy from Pennsylvania and things went badly. The guy did decent work, but his ability to deliver on a deadline, his willingness to show the work as it progressed (to allow for changes) was negligible.

In addition, after he'd completed 4 pieces for me, he proceeded to attempt to extort about 5-6 times the agreed upon amount.

Just be extremely careful who you deal with.

If you're in the PA/NJ/NY/DE area, and seek artists, contact me privately, I'll provide a more detailed recounting of the story so that you can avoid this individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm a graphic designer when I do a job for a client, I send a detailed estimate of the cost of labor, so the client knows what is going to cost, and me too.
This avoids surprises.
I have done work for several countries, with very tight deadlines and the client gives me the information to work on time, I arrive on time.
Until the moment when someone asked me some work, then charge another, I guess this means that it is satisfied

If you need to know that you ask the designer / illustrator / printer so that the work goes well, ask me, I'll be happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth saying that unless you are self-publishing shelling out a lot of cash on artwork is an unnecessary risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always get everything in writing, it's beneficial for all parties involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wedig
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:
Always get everything in writing, it's beneficial for all parties involved.

Seconded. I'm a graphic designer, and I always try to work with a contract in place. Not only does it protect me, but it protects the client in case things go south.

-Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Simpson
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree!
Sadly, in this one situation, my computer was down (with all the legal docs I needed to get contracts written) and didn't get back up and running until just before it hit the fan!
We were working off the written discussions we'd had...yeah, wish it'd gone better, but as they say, if wishes were horses, then beggars would eat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
dsknighthawk wrote:
...but as they say, if wishes were horses, then beggars would eat.
so... beggars eat horses? i'm still trying to wrap my brain around this one... i need some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
dsknighthawk wrote:
...but as they say, if wishes were horses, then beggars would eat.
so... beggars eat horses? i'm still trying to wrap my brain around this one... i need some time.

Hahaha, I think this one applies specifically to Mongolian beggars. They usually only go for vodka, but if they could wish for horse-meat it would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsknighthawk wrote:
I say this because I hired a guy from Pennsylvania and things went badly. The guy did decent work, but his ability to deliver on a deadline, his willingness to show the work as it progressed (to allow for changes) was negligible.

In addition, after he'd completed 4 pieces for me, he proceeded to attempt to extort about 5-6 times the agreed upon amount.

Just be extremely careful who you deal with.

If you're in the PA/NJ/NY/DE area, and seek artists, contact me privately, I'll provide a more detailed recounting of the story so that you can avoid this individual.

sorry that happened to you. it must have been an extremely stressful experience. hang in there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
dsknighthawk wrote:
if wishes were horses, then beggars would eat.

I don't know about the beggars, but we'd ALL be eating steak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Simpson
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's a very old saying dating back to the depression where in the country-side citizens were actually eating their horses when times got tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OHMS Gaming

Florida
msg tools
On that note, does anyone have a 'template' artist's contract that I can look over? I'm going to do some digging on my own to see what I can find, but I figure asking here couldn't hurt.

If you do, please send it to art@ohmsgaming.com

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
OHMS Gaming wrote:
On that note, does anyone have a 'template' artist's contract that I can look over? I'm going to do some digging on my own to see what I can find, but I figure asking here couldn't hurt.

If you do, please send it to art@ohmsgaming.com

Thanks!

I wouldn't mind seeing this posted publicly as well if there's nothing confidential or sensitive involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Martin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cegur.com/html/framecontracts.html

seems to be a useful link for contracts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amparo
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't work with contracts, the vortex of this work don't have time, I'm freelance and I have to simplify all bureaucratic processes, because otherwise would not have time to do the work.

I work with a quote, in Spain, a detailed budget, signed and stamped by the client, becomes a "contract" on both sides.

All the companies here do as well, luckily I never had to claim anything, but I think that before the law, the client and I are protected, the "guilty" will be those who breached the agreement in writing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OHMS Gaming

Florida
msg tools
Ira, that link was great! Thanks And thanks for the tips beatrix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.